Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Poll Dorset Tup  (Read 3912 times)

Mallows Flock

• Joined Apr 2012
  • Shepton mallet
    • Somerset Pet Sitting and Dog Walking
Poll Dorset Tup
« on: June 19, 2012, 05:44:46 pm »
My sheep are currently in with a young (March 2012) born gorgeous Poll Dorset ram lamb who belongs to my friend but he is going off to slaughter in mid November. I REALLY want him to 'do the business' on my ewes before he goes as he is one hunky, solid, strong healthy ram. My friend is fine with this! What are the chances of him being old enough and successful enough to impregnate my darlings before he goes????
From 3 to 30 and still flocking up!

langfauld easycare

• Joined Apr 2012
Re: Poll Dorset Tup
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2012, 07:51:02 pm »
i use some tup lambs every year mine are born april go in with ewes november 5th for lambing 1st april , never had dorsets but would bet he will leave you some gifts ;)

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2012, 08:14:49 pm »
 As an average most ram lambs are used at about 7 month's + , at about 4 mth's + they can be fertile but not really capable , body size and weight need to be good to increase chances of success . Your lamb is only 3.5 mth's max , but who knows anything's possible  :fc:

SteveHants

• Joined Aug 2011
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2012, 11:53:39 pm »
Run a ram with a raddle on with the ewes after hes been taken out - then you will know by whos taken the raddled ram who took the poll Dorset.

Hes a bit young IMo, but some rams can be very precocious...

Mallows Flock

• Joined Apr 2012
  • Shepton mallet
    • Somerset Pet Sitting and Dog Walking
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2012, 08:25:10 am »
He is definitely trying...lip licking, licking girls necks and trying to mount.. I know he is quite young now but was hoping he may get a chance in Oct/early Nov before he goes to produce some little beauties.
Thank you for all you informative posts  :thumbsup:
From 3 to 30 and still flocking up!

feldar

• Joined Apr 2011
  • lymington hampshire
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2012, 01:53:37 pm »
We left some entire ram lambs too long in with some girls last year, they were march born and yes! they did work! so i'm sure yours will too.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS