Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: despatch and dress a bird  (Read 9623 times)

Lizmar

• Joined Apr 2009
  • Carrick on Suir - Tipperary Ireland
Re: despatch and dress a bird
« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2009, 10:38:35 am »
I'm so ignorant, but what on earth do you do with the broom handle? Actually I don't trhink I want to know :o

sellickbhoy

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Muiravonside, near Linlithgow
« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2009, 10:47:56 am »
well, that all sounds fine then Kate, I might jsut get the pan of hot water out if i'm going more than one!

i guess if i was doing more than one at a time i'd be freezing some of it anyway, so no real worry

ando

• Joined Apr 2009
« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2009, 11:07:46 am »
I'm so ignorant, but what on earth do you do with the broom handle? Actually I don't trhink I want to know :o

To dispatch with a broom stick, hold the bird by the feet with it chest on the ground, put the broom across the back of it's neck, step on it with a foot each side and pull and turn, dislocates the neck and is a very quick and easy way to do it.

Its my preferred method, after the article on how dispatchers are no good in PP mag.

hth

Mark.

carl

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2009, 01:33:00 pm »
just behind it's earlobes, then a gentle pull just so it severs the cord and it's jugular, no need to twist or pull too hard. ( gets a bit grusome if you overdo it).

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2009, 04:03:40 pm »
this is true having a shower of chickens blood while warm is not very refreshing. my daughter was not a fan either.

carl

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #20 on: April 28, 2009, 04:39:35 pm »
My problem was that I wanted to make sure the poor birds were dead and put in a bit too much effort. very tarantino.

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #21 on: April 28, 2009, 06:43:48 pm »
I think I'll stick to keeping them for eggs - this is definitely not for me. So glad that Rose and Paul are around the bend with their free rangers... :&>

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #22 on: April 28, 2009, 07:36:15 pm »
alas even you friendliest egg chuck has to go one day. Its best to learn to kill quick even if your wife screams at you for dripping blood in the house. Whilst dispatching i would recommend overalls. I always prefer to lose the head than be unsure.

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #23 on: April 28, 2009, 07:41:30 pm »
I'll think about that when it's the time, SP. For now I'm a softie and my OH says he's killed too many animals in his youth and won't do any more  (so I won't be screaming at him, lol). :&>

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #24 on: April 28, 2009, 09:50:36 pm »
I think I prefer Dan's method of shooting them with his air rifle ;)
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

harry

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #25 on: April 30, 2009, 08:16:19 pm »
i read somewhere in a poultry mag that useing a air pistol is ok...and even gave instructions ie under the chin and aim though to the front top of the head. ive used it on large fowl and as its point blank theres plenty of power there...... its more humane that a clumsy break neck job that i must admit i have done, but never messed up with the air pistol one shot does it every time in a split second...the wall mounted thing i have is fine but if its a big bird it takes 2 hands to crush the neck so someone else has to hold the bird.... harry
« Last Edit: April 30, 2009, 08:29:52 pm by harry »

sweep

• Joined Apr 2009
« Reply #26 on: May 03, 2009, 07:53:48 pm »
over here in Canada every one uses the hot water dunk before plucking, we had never heard of it before, but now we wonder how we ever managed to dry pluck a bird, what you have to do is chill the bird once its plucked and gutted we use a large plastic barrell with cold water and lots of ice,we start making large ice blocks weeks before the event and store them in the freezer.
also the prefered method of dispatch here is a large plastic bucket or container about 20 litres with a hole cut in the bottom screwed to a tree or post drop the bird in head first pull the head and neck through and cut off the head, leave to bleed out, then dunk in hot water and pluck and clean.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS