Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: How do i get started- looking to purchase some sheep  (Read 15487 times)

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
Re: How do i get started- looking to purchase some sheep
« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2012, 11:01:26 pm »
It would probably quite useful if you contacted the Shetland Sheep Society (or if you give me your area I can send you contact details for the local area representative), and speak to some breeders near you. Most of them will be happy to talk to you and show off the flock (although in this weather not looking at its best...).

I started off with some lambs (Shetland Txl Xes and pure Shetlands) bought in the autumn and raised them for a year before I went onto breeding. You might want to buy some female lambs for future breeding and/or wether lambs for the freezer (Shetlands are best eaten at about 18 months or later), get most of the routine handling tasks under your belt and then get a tup for next autumn. That said lots of Shetland tups are halter and bucket trained and are not too difficult to handle. But you would need a separate field for the boys then.

My shetlands have never tried to escape, and we have a mix of fences, from good sheep netting with electric top wire to more dire three strands of sagging wire (in rented fields I have to add), but good fencing all round is probably safer ;D . Shetland ewes lamb quite readily outside, preferably in a smaller field where you can spot any ewe lambing quite quickly, and should then be penned up preferably undercover (or in a pen on the egde of the field if no cover/shed/shelter is available and the weather is reasonable). I have so far not had to help any of my shetland ewes lambing, when they were bred to a Shetland tup.

I can recommend Tim Tyne's lambing course (details on his website - viableselfsufficiency.co.uk I think) as well as his book.

The only drawback is that purebred they are not a commercial option, as the lambs are slow growing and won't make 40kgs until the next summer. However white Shetland ewes are now used a bit more when crossed with a texel or Charrolais tup, and then the lambs should be ready by winter for sale.

Hope this helps.

sheepandponies

• Joined Nov 2009
  • Galston
« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2012, 07:21:09 am »
Shame that you have been put off buying Zwartbles through this forum.  For a smallholder looking to have some fun with sheep they are ideal, very friendly and enjoy being fussed unlike most other breeds! They are also quite addictive so encourage new comers to consider showing and the fleece is good for felting, I understand.  The meat is delicious, a real gamey flavour.  In all they are worth the money as you will get it back when you come to sell your own, unlike the other breed suggestions made. :innocent:

Castle Farm

• Joined Nov 2008
  • Hereford/Powys Border. near Hay-on-Wye
    • castlefarmeggs
« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2012, 08:05:19 am »
If you have reasonable pasture get a commercial type.

Your lambs will return a better grass-meat ratio and selling any should be a lot easier than looking around for a buyer for 'smallholder type breeds' such as Shetlands and Zwartbles.

Shetland will do fine if your farming on rough marginal land as will all the other native breeds.

All sheep more or less need the same care, so my advise is get whatever the farm next door has.
Traditional Utility Breed Hatching Eggs sent next day delivery. Pure bred Llyen Sheep.
www.castlefarmeggs.co.uk  http://www.facebook.com/pages/Utility-Poultry-Keepers/231571570247281

horsemadmummy

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2012, 08:44:54 am »
We live in Devon near Okehampton and have an ever growing flock of shetlands they make great mummies!

we cross some of our girls (who are experienced lambers) with a suffolk ram and produce great commercial lambs for the freezer without problems and mostly twins too! 

we have a chocolate box of colours and markings from white fleckets to pure black with galmogets, morran, grey and fawn katmogets thrown in too! 

we have some larger breed ewes too which we use our shetland rams on and get the same results for commercial lambs. 

can't praise the breed enough we do have some cracking lambs that will be ready from the end of august they can be registered if you want (we have 35 lambs in total) various colours.

anyone who is interested can message me or give me a call on 07725631611 we have uncastrated ram lambs, ewe lambs also some shetland x kerryhill ewe lambs too.

We also have two tups a morran (mac) and a galmoget (george) who can be 'borrowed' if anyone is interested

Sunnybank

• Joined Jul 2011
  • Leominster, Herefordshire
    • Facebook
« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2012, 09:55:19 am »
If you are looking for shetlands, Richard at monnow sheep has lambs and yearlings available, priced at £75 and he will deliver. We got our 5 lambs from him last year and are going to look at some more next week.his web link is www.monnowsheep.co.uk

horsemadmummy

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #20 on: July 11, 2012, 10:43:26 am »
thats almost double what you can get registered shearling/hoggs for locally if you look

Sunnybank

• Joined Jul 2011
  • Leominster, Herefordshire
    • Facebook
« Reply #21 on: July 11, 2012, 10:48:38 am »
do you know of any other Shetland breeders near Hereford please horseandmummy.

plt102

• Joined Jan 2011
« Reply #22 on: July 11, 2012, 12:59:36 pm »
we are still novices but are happy to do most things on our own now.
in our 'sheep kit' we have (and mostly dont use but they are there if we need them....):
crovect (prevent fly strike)
fly and maggot spray (if you get fly strike)
jeyes fluid (a good alternative to the spray)
iodine solution for any cuts
purple spray for when we want pretty colours...also good for cuts
dagging shears (electric) and spare oil for the shears
foot trimming shears
ear tagger and tags
lube, gloves, iodine spray, colostrum,bottle and lamb milk powder if you are going to breed
good fences
sheltered and enclosed area to bring them into to clip, vaccinate etc

Also make sure you had your flock movement book and medication record book

It is such fun - I wouldnt change my sheepies for the world. good luck

drivelhead

• Joined Jul 2012
« Reply #23 on: July 11, 2012, 01:16:42 pm »
I'm and Emily and got started this year!  Bought 2 orphan ewe lambs very cheap from a farmer friend (I work on dairy farms so fortunately am a well known farming face in the area so got a lot of stuff for free to help me start up).  Will buy a couple more ewes before tupping time, and hopefully loan a ram.  Not focusing on a particular breed to start with, but taking what I can get until I'm more experienced. 

horsemadmummy

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #24 on: July 11, 2012, 05:53:19 pm »
if you want to find shetlands near you try your shearer if they are any good they will have their little book and will know who has got what - shetlands should all have been sheared by now as mid june is when coat is best to take off so a good shearer will know who they have done, the quality and also who has any for sale.  Shearers too are worth their weight in gold.  mine is a lady and she helps me with feet and all the other stuff that usually wants doing around that time!

omnipeasant

• Joined May 2012
  • Llangurig , Mid Wales
« Reply #25 on: July 12, 2012, 10:00:15 am »
I have read the whole of this topic and think there are some pushy posts insisting shetlands are the way to go. No offence meant to anyone but perhaps it would be better just to have 'sheep' to start with and take a little more time deciding on the eventual breed. As you originally wanted Zwartbles because of their fleece and lamb size it seems stange to go for shetlands now, but there are many sheep that would suit your purpose. The best advice is get what your neighbours have. (sorry can't remember who posted that). I would reccomend badger faced welsh if you were on a hillside with rough grazing like we are, but your needs are different. Go to a local sale and buy yourself some good sound shearlings at the market price, or buy some gimmer lambs to get used to before they  become mums, but try to take someone with you to advise.

Wishing you all the best in your new adventure.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2012, 11:39:15 am by omnipeasant »

CaroleBulmer

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Barrington, Somerset
« Reply #26 on: July 12, 2012, 11:16:08 am »
We have had a variety of sheep over the years:- Dartmoor Greyface, Shetlands, Blueface Leicesters, Suffolks, Llanwenogs, variety of Mules and Hebrideans and all are good for different things - list what you require ie easy to handle, fleece / meat and then go to a few agricultural shows / markets and speak to other breeders of different sheep and visit the web pages for different breeds.

horsemadmummy

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #27 on: July 12, 2012, 03:08:07 pm »
I agree with last two posts we settled on Shetlands having tried more commercial breeds.  Whilst we love them and they have many wonderful points they won't be for everyone.  Take your time do some research and speak to people who should be more than willing to talk about their girls!  You need to make the right choice for your circumstances and requirements because there will be the highs and inevitable lows once you get started.  A friend of mine asked what happens on Christmas morning and the answer was kids have to wait for breakfast and pressies till the 85 girls have been sorted!

LandieMan

• Joined Jul 2012
« Reply #28 on: July 14, 2012, 10:34:43 pm »
Shetlands and very rewarding sheep, they are very friendly. The fleece is wonderful and the carcase small but tasty. They are however masters of escape, stock fencing with barbed wire wire is the only thing to keep the little blighters in.
Sheep generally are pretty easy, although are always trying to kill themselves or just feel like giving up on life.

SteveHants

• Joined Aug 2011
« Reply #29 on: July 15, 2012, 12:33:48 am »
Id get something easy with a high resale value. Lleyns, perhaps.

Dont start with bloody mules unless you like pulling lambs.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS