Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: dark green slimy/vomit around mouth of lamb....why???  (Read 13803 times)

erck

• Joined Sep 2011
dark green slimy/vomit around mouth of lamb....why???
« on: July 17, 2012, 07:37:50 pm »
 :sheep:
a 4 month old lamb has very dark green/black fluid on his chin. I presume its vomit. Does anuone what may have caused this? not really any other signs or symptoms. still eating. help!!

VSS

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Pen Llyn
    • Viable Self Sufficiency.co.uk
Re: dark green slimy/vomit around mouth of lamb....why???
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2012, 07:53:03 pm »
Sheep only vomit in very particular circumtances - ie rhodedendrom poisoning and if your lamb is otherwise happy and still eating, it won't be that.

It is most likely to be cud spilling.
The SHEEP Book for Smallholders
Available from the Good Life Press

www.viableselfsufficiency.co.uk

NZelmo

• Joined May 2012
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2012, 08:24:12 pm »
Hi, we have the same and we have been told probably cud spilling.  Check his teeth and watch to see if he is spilling cud.. not sure or a cure or assistance at this stage, but will update you if I get some further replies Em :fc:

Mallows Flock

• Joined Apr 2012
  • Shepton mallet
    • Somerset Pet Sitting and Dog Walking
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2012, 08:40:34 pm »
Cud spilling! No cure, I understand... should be culled as butchers lambs really and ewes should never be bred from as mostly hereditary! Can be caused by jaw defects or reflux... similar to reflux in humans.  Causes malnutrition and leads to poor condition/body weight hence culling! They do keep eating! I recommend making sure he has a mineral lick in and maybe Ovithrift for keeping his nutrition up! The lamb I am caring for with it does't seem bothered by it at all - she eats well and I give her additives - she is going for meat in November tho instead of becoming a breeding ewe!
From 3 to 30 and still flocking up!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS