Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Neck Lump on Lamb - What is it?  (Read 31537 times)

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Re: Neck Lump on Lamb - What is it?
« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2012, 05:23:12 pm »
Haylo-peapod, Moredun have an excellent paper on this:
www.moredun.org.uk/webfm_send/172

It's now endemic in the national sheep flock; I'm not sure about goats (although it originated in goats in this country, that is, it arrived in infected goats.) 

According to the Moredun doc,
"some abattoir inspections will refuse carcasses depending on the extent of abscesses within an animal, and entry to show classes can also be refused"

There is no vaccince.

Breeders of tups may get their flock and stock accredited through a blood-screening program; I think this is managed by SAC.  Obviously it would make sense to only buy in rams (and billies?) from accredited flocks / herds; I don't know whether it is feasible to get bought-in animals screened whilst they are in quarantine on arrival.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2012, 07:30:56 pm »
From a US site

Can I vaccinate for this disease?

A vaccine is available for CLA, but it is licensed for use only in sheep.  Vaccination will not cure abscesses or make them go away.  Vaccination will not prevent all new abscesses in exposed animals, but it has been shown to reduce the number of new abscesses substantially.  Lambs can be vaccinated as early as 4 weeks of age if exposure in a heavily contaminated flock is likely.  However, they should have booster vaccinations at about 4 week intervals until they are 12-16 weeks of age.  Older sheep need two doses four weeks apart and annual booster vaccinations.

A combination of vaccination, culling, and management of the environment to reduce the risk of exposure can reduce or eliminate the disease over time.  Vaccinated animals may show some lameness or depression following vaccination.  The vaccine is not approved for use in goats, and some owners have reported occasional severe reactions.  A veterinarian should prescribe its use in goats.

It doesn't seem sensible that if it's caused by a bacteria it can't be vaccinated against?

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2012, 09:22:08 pm »
Firstly I would think this may be more likely a tooth growing problem than a CLA abcess - are animals this young affected by CLA? Then it would have to have come in through milk from an infected ewe?

CLA is only rarely transmitted to humans - mainly hearers and abattoir workers (as per my goat vet book) - I guess it is goes in through wounds/nicks the person has on his/her hands. So I would probably wear disposable gloves when handling any kind of abcess.

Elmoo2u

• Joined Jun 2012
« Reply #18 on: June 13, 2012, 09:36:40 pm »
Hi Folks,

Well I put a needle in today and managed to drain some of the fluid, not that much came out about a syringe and a half.  It was a sort of a cloudy dirty colour, no blood.  She was pretty patient but when she started wriggling I stopped and put some iodine on the area and gave her a jab of antibiotics.

I have just checked her tonight and the lump is still there and still hard to touch.  I am thinking of seeing what she is like tomorrow and I might get my friend (who is a nurse) to come and see what she thinks and see if she can drain it anymore. Unless anyone has any other ideas?  Should I wait for longer to see if it goes down or keep draining?

I don't know what the breed is of this lamb, I just got it along with another 3 and they are all different breeds.

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #19 on: June 13, 2012, 10:04:56 pm »
Take a photo so we can see the lump but also tell you the breeds of your lambs  :)

Mammyshaz

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Durham
« Reply #20 on: June 13, 2012, 10:09:40 pm »
Well I put a needle in today and managed to drain some of the fluid, not that much came out about a syringe and a half.  It was a sort of a cloudy dirty colour, no blood. 

Pus would range froma cream to yellow colour and anything  from runny to clotted cream texture.
Was the liquid more brown or grey? Just wondering when you say cloudy dirty.
If it is then it sounds more like a cystic lump of some sort.

Let us know what your nurse friend thinks as if it's not an abscess and no other suggestions, I think perhaps a vet visit. But don't take that as the thing to do, as I say, I'm only pet animal knowledge not livestock.

Elmoo2u

• Joined Jun 2012
« Reply #21 on: June 13, 2012, 10:21:08 pm »
Thinking about it the pus was a dirty yellow with a little bit of brown, maybe that was a bit of blood in it.

I am going to see what my friend thinks over next couple of days and see if the swelling goes down a bit, stays the same or grows.

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #22 on: June 14, 2012, 02:42:15 am »
One of my goats had an abscess under one side of her jaw/neck, after bathing it with warm/hot water, (after antibiotics) it burst, boy did it smell! but that was good, CLA apparently doesn't smell, and is thick and claggy).
Then I kept bathing it out with salt water solution.

feldar

• Joined Apr 2011
  • lymington hampshire
« Reply #23 on: June 16, 2012, 10:58:05 am »
Don't get confused when buying animals that look like they've may have had an abcess on their neck, this could be  a footvax injection site. This is usually always on older sheep not lambs and should be dry and well healed up.
CLA is lumpy and hard not to see as an abcess , plus it may be weeping.

omnipeasant

• Joined May 2012
  • Llangurig , Mid Wales
« Reply #24 on: June 16, 2012, 06:27:58 pm »
Am I in a different world to the rest of you. If my sheep had an abcess on it's jaw I would speak to the vet first.  Fortunately mine is happy to give advice on the phone, visit if necessary and not charge very much if I take the sheep to them.  Antibiotics should only be given prescribed by a vet, yes you can do the injections yourself but you need to know which anti biotic to give.

SteveHants

• Joined Aug 2011
« Reply #25 on: June 16, 2012, 11:27:01 pm »
Re: "antibiotics should only be given when perscribed by a vetenarian'. If I had to wait for the vet before giving antibiotics - Id have lost a whole lot more sheep than I have.

Scenario 1:

It is Saturday night and you have just discovered a ewe with mastitis. Do you wait for Monday to roll around or do you give her antibiotics in her udder?

Scenario 2:

A ewe is lethargic, breathless and has mucosa, you can catch her. Do you ring the vet and wait for them to call you back - even though this nescessitates going somewhere where you can get a signal, waiting for the vet to come back off rounds etc and then drive back to your sheep to see how she is or do you jag her with the Alamycin you have in your truck?

and so on.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #26 on: June 16, 2012, 11:43:08 pm »
I agree with you SteveHants that antibiotics should be given as soon as possible when they are needed.  If you know what you are dealing with and which antibiotic is appropriate, then give it, as speed is of the essence.

For those just starting out though, who have litttle animal husbandry knowledge and maybe don't carry a selection of medicines, the vets advice is important - it's just painful to see how long the wait can be before a vet can be contacted sometimes.

There is too the question of antibiotic resistance, which most people are now aware of.  I am confident of when an antibiotic is needed, but others might be less sure and worry they will be creating more of a problem than they will be solving.   It's great to have TAS handy for checking which is the most appropriate antibiotic, or other medicine, whilst waiting for the vet to return the call.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

omnipeasant

• Joined May 2012
  • Llangurig , Mid Wales
« Reply #27 on: June 17, 2012, 09:42:10 am »
Steve if you know which antibiotic to use for each problem and you have all the relevant antibiotics in stock that are still in date then I have no problem with you treating any of the above mentioned problems. You are an experienced sheep keeper. I hadn't thought of the mobile phone problem because we live on site and have a land line.

Thanks fleecewife, you seem to understand where I am coming from.

I am worried that some vets do not seem as accessable as ours.

SteveHants

• Joined Aug 2011
« Reply #28 on: June 17, 2012, 10:11:26 am »
I deliberatley chose two scenarios where rapid administration of antibiotics would give the ewe a good chance of survival and delay would almost certainly lead to death. Most vets are happy to prescribe you bottles of antibiotics to keep in your meds cupboard. I was going to write that there are lots of useful books out there to help with your diagnosis, but to be honest that makes me seem a bit behind the times as there are plenty of useful sites on the internet.

I don't like to overuse antibiotics, and I dont use them in scenarios where people would give them as a matter of course (eg - assisted lambings; I only give them if it has been extended and traumatic, usually when I have had to have my hand in past the knuckles).

It might be daunting to people who are new to stock-keeping, but there will come a time in your stockman/womans career when you have to make the call, and the sooner that happens, the better you will feel about making decisions (especially if you save the animal). Vets are good for advice and mine are dead efficient at ringing back etc, but they still shut on a Sunday. This is one of the things that comes with stockeeping - your decisions are often life or death ones. On the flipside, nobody will blame you if the odd sheep dies, the hardest person on you when that happens is probably going to be yourself. It does happen though - when you take sheep on, theres no avoiding that at some point they WILL get out and some WILL die.

So, I aways have alamycin and often pen and strep in my cupboard. They get used rareley, but Id sooner they were there.

moprabbit

• Joined Oct 2011
  • North Notts
« Reply #29 on: June 17, 2012, 11:01:51 am »
I've noticed one of my ewes has a couple of very hard lumps on the side  of her neck - I felt one after she'd been sheared last week and put it down to a possible injection site, but I didn't think at the time there were 2. However there are 2 now now - if there were on a human I would say they were fatty cysts and probably wouldn't be too concerned. I've read all the posts and wonder if I should put a needle in or leave them a while? I'll probably give the vet a call as well. 
4 pet sheep

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS