Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Neck Lump on Lamb - What is it?  (Read 31547 times)

Elmoo2u

• Joined Jun 2012
Neck Lump on Lamb - What is it?
« on: June 12, 2012, 09:02:08 pm »
Hi,
I have an orphan lamb ewe who is 2 months old, she has a lump on left side of her neck at her jaw which has got larger in past few days and tonight I checked it and it is quite hard now.  She also has a slightly bad eye on same side but that has improved.
She has not lost her appetite and seems ok in herself, she has always been the quietest out the lot.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what it could be?

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
Re: Neck Lump on Lamb - What is it?
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2012, 09:06:43 pm »
I'm guessing an abscess. Keep an eye on it, or if feeling particularly brave and gruesome, stick a syringe with a fat needle into it and see if 'stuff' comes out. She could probably do with an antibiotic injection anyway. Even so, it will need emptying if it is an abscess, keep bathing it with salty water if she will let you.

Elmoo2u

• Joined Jun 2012
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2012, 09:15:49 pm »
Thanks for quick reply.

I gave her an antibiotic a couple of days ago when it started to increase in size but was still soft, thinking it might go down.  Now that it is hard I wondered if whatever is in there might be about to pop out!?

I will have a look tomorrow and maybe pluck up the courage to drain it.

Would you think because she is still eating well that she is ok?  I worry that if it gets much bigger it might restrict her throat?

Very new to keeping lambs and I'm learning everyday

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2012, 09:26:02 pm »
It sounds as though it's on her jaw more than her throat?
I'd drain it anyway, the pressure is what makes them hurt.

But yes, if she's eating well and looking normal it doesn't sound too serious.

YorkshireLass

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Just when I thought I'd settled down...!
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2012, 09:26:19 pm »
Personally I would be inclined to stick it and see (new short needle, lots of antiseptic spray to hand etc etc).

And then I'd go and vomit in the corner. Not good with popping things  :-\

Elmoo2u

• Joined Jun 2012
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2012, 09:35:18 pm »
Cheers for the advice much appreciated.

It is at the top of her neck slightly on her jaw and all on the left side, she was a bit dull and eating less a couple of days ago and that's why I gave the antibiotics but since then she has been tucking in to her feed no problem so I did think she must be ok.  She does like me to give the lump a good scratch so maybe it's itchy.

I will drain it tomorrow if I can, I'm not squeamish so should be ok, I just worry that i'll hurt her but I guess the lump must be irritating and painful so I will do my best.

Mammyshaz

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Durham
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2012, 09:37:03 pm »
Here's advice from a non smallholder  8)  ::)

The pressure of the abscess on the skin seems to numb the area so the needle isn't usually felt too much  :thumbsup: just make sure a second person can restrain her so the needle doesn't  prick inner tissue if she moves as she will feel that. Find the thinnest area which looks ready to 'pop' and insert the needle slowly at this point.
Suck as much pus as possible leaving the needle in place and reattaching the syringe to remove more so no need to repuncture. Them withdraw the needle and if she allows squeeze any leftover pus out. Antisept spray area. And cover with antibiotic.

As I say, not a smallholder so all above advice may be useless if you cannot restrain her sufficiently ( I only have the pleasure of dealing with 'pets' )  hope it helps anyway  :fc:

princesspiggy

« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2012, 09:50:22 pm »
i watched our vet try and drain what we thought was an absess (albeit in a pig) which wasnt. he stuck in a needle and used a syringe to try and drain it. it was obvious there no pus there so im sure u can stick it in without causing to much damage/pain to ur sheep if ur careful, whether its an absess or not.

we did have a sheep who had an absess on his eye after a fight, it burst and sealed then reburst in another area. i did try and pierce it but being so close to his eye, i was a bit squeamish. he needed antibiotics and lots of hot compresses as it looked awful for a while. hes fine now.

hope that helps  ;) :wave:

Elmoo2u

• Joined Jun 2012
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2012, 10:06:36 pm »
Thanks Mammyshaz and princesspiggy, you have put me more at east about putting the needle in.

I will post back the results of my first potential abscess drain just in case anyone is interested to hear what it is.  I may need some advice if it doesn't drain  :-\

Mallows Flock

• Joined Apr 2012
  • Shepton mallet
    • Somerset Pet Sitting and Dog Walking
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2012, 10:16:26 pm »
Arrggg... the suspense is killing me...I am on my seat edge awaiting the result of the pus-trial! This is LOADS better than Eastenders! LOL
From 3 to 30 and still flocking up!

princesspiggy

« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2012, 10:21:03 pm »
the vet gave me a scapel to use in the future, even tho he used a needle.

SteveHants

• Joined Aug 2011
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2012, 10:43:15 pm »
Whats the breeding of this sheep?

If its a hairsheep or hairsheep cross, goitres are fairly common and non-threatening.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2012, 11:54:49 pm »
Caseous Lymphadenitis causes abscesses around the head and neck.  They don't drain liquid pus but are filled with  thick cheesy stuff, which doesn't respond to antibiotics.  It is very important to get a lab test on this as CLA is contagious and can cause big losses in your flock.   Hopefully it's not this, but you do need to take it seriously  :sheep:
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2012, 01:00:48 pm »
As FW says, CLA is a concern.  Make sure you capture everything that touches the exudate - cloths, needles, knives, containers, whatever - and anything you are not taking to the lab, dispose of with great care.  I'd suggest burning but don't in fact know if there'd be a risk of its spreading this way. 

CLA is most often spread by shearers, the clippers nick an abcess on one sheep then pass the infection to the rest of the flock - and the next flock too, if the shearer is less than 100% in his / her hygiene routine.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Haylo-peapod

• Joined Mar 2012
« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2012, 03:04:31 pm »
How common is CLA?  We noticed a couple of sheep with abscesses during shearing. One I put down to a Heptavac injection site but the other ewe had an abscess half way back on her side.

I'm guessing there are multiple reasons for abscesses/cysts developing so I don't want to become paranoid but it would be helpful to know what the likelihood is of abscesses being down to CLA rather than something else. Also is there a way of reducing the chances of this disease getting into the flock - other than ensuring the shearer doesn't bring it onto the farm?

Finally can CLA be transmitted to humans and does the meat of a sheep with CLA get condemned?

Oops, that's quite a lot of questions... :eyelashes:

Advertisement

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS