Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: PIG FLU Outbreak  (Read 28031 times)

dixie

• Joined Mar 2009
Re: PIG FLU Outbreak
« Reply #30 on: April 27, 2009, 02:25:58 pm »
The trouble is, its difficult to know when to take these things seriously and when to ignore the scare mongering in the press! of course we should all take serious threats seriously, but its not always that simple, I'm sure you take it on board more as you've experienced a serious flu before. I just assumed (naively) that Defra would have it as a headline on the homepage.  I wouldn't know who to believe ??? but agree as to how quickly this could spread, very worrying.

garden cottage

• Joined Sep 2008
  • forest of dean
« Reply #31 on: April 27, 2009, 02:39:16 pm »
Id like to vote rusty for prime minister, re AK47.......................neil ;D ;D

rustyme

« Reply #32 on: April 27, 2009, 02:46:22 pm »
Yes Dixie ,
           you are right ...there is much scare mongering in the press and it IS very difficult to know how much to listen to and how much to ignore !!.
    Defra are mainly there for animal and agricultural matters , so although they will mention something like this , and give advice on precautions, it isn't within their remit , as it were, unless pigs were to show signs of the flu ???  
      At the moment the numbers of deaths being very small , on a world wide scale , it remains something to watch and be aware of . However if things were to get much worse, then those that have been watching, will be in a position to act accordingly, and with knowledge of what they are up against, and of what to do to help prevent spreading, or even catching the flu virus . If it all fades away , then that is great and no harm done ( apart from the people that have sadly already died ) .

cheers

Russ    

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
  • "Blossom" one of my Pygmy Goats
« Reply #33 on: April 27, 2009, 02:50:06 pm »
I'll second that Neil, maybe we can get a post in his cabinet??? hee hee, it did make me laugh.

rustyme

« Reply #34 on: April 27, 2009, 02:55:40 pm »
cheers Neil ,
            not sure how it would look on the manifesto though ???? As for a position in the cabinet , yes ... but whatever you do ....DON'T SNEEZE !!!!!  ::) ;D
Gavin ,
        I wasn't having a dig or being stroppy in my reply !!! It just reads a bit that way .. ::) ;D If I was, I would have the AK47 out and ready !!!!

cheers

Russ

carl

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #35 on: April 27, 2009, 04:03:11 pm »
russ to lead insurgent resistant group. like che wotsit from cuba, without a beret.
if we all formed a self sufficient state, excluding all outside contact we would not need politicians, or defra. definitely not the media.
just good honest toil for good honest grub.
we'd probabley argue over where it was though.
and i would miss choclate.

rustyme

« Reply #36 on: April 27, 2009, 04:50:22 pm »
http://uk.news.yahoo.com/21/20090427/tuk-avoid-us-and-mexico-britons-told-6323e80.html
http://uk.news.yahoo.com/4/20090427/video/vuk-swine-flu-explained-symptoms-eating-49bfa63.html

nothing to get too worried about yet still ...but I have now taken delivery of the AK47 and lots of ammo !!!!! The biological warfare suit fits well , but you do tend to get a bit warm in it  !!!! Just finished putting up the razor wire fence now , and have already dug the pit for disposal of any dead bodies....The postman looked a bit rough this morning so I shouted at him as he approached " are you well ?" " just a spot of flu ?"  was his reply .... Well flu or not , he can sure run fast !!!!! I let loose 6 arrows at him , I nearly got him !!! Funny thing was , he was delivering the AK47 .... ::) ::) ;D

cheers

Russ

Malc

• Joined Oct 2007
    • The Edge of Nowhere
« Reply #37 on: April 27, 2009, 07:00:08 pm »
I hope nobody is getting too panicky. Bear in mind that the modern media like nothing better than a scare story. Twenty-four-hour news is one of the great curses of the 21st century. Everything is skewed by the media's desperation to fill the hours. Remember bird flu?

Having said that, this is serious and everyone should take the usual precautions, disinfect and make sure they know who is visiting their farm/smallholding/croft. . . the kind of thing we should all be probably doing in any case. Just don't panic. Defra and Seerad will have advice when its appropriate.

If Rusty's PM, can I be sports minister? I'd like tickets for the Cup final.

gavo

• Joined Aug 2008
  • Belcoo, Enniskillen, N.Ireland
  • Crazy Pig Lover
« Reply #38 on: April 27, 2009, 07:21:34 pm »
No offence Russ. Things need to be taken with a pinch of salt, it's hard to tell fact from fiction with all the "behind the scenes" manipulation of the media that goes on. I've already had people asking me if I have to put down my herd of pigs !

Cheers

Gavin

chickens

• Joined Jan 2008
« Reply #39 on: April 27, 2009, 07:24:44 pm »
Advise please, living in france expecting friends from canada halifax on wednesday being that they have outbreaks of swine flu and I have pigs is it okay for them to come here?  Not panicking just want to be sensible and would really appreciate some advice.
Thanks

rustyme

« Reply #40 on: April 27, 2009, 08:00:18 pm »
hello chickens,
              having guests from a country which has confirmed cases of swine flu , is I think a matter of personal choice (at the moment !!). The danger (if there is one ?) isn't to your pigs !!! it is to you and your family. The swine flu isn't very bad for the pigs (from what I can make out it is quite mild to them ) , it is however, to be treated with caution, at the least ,for humans . There have been no deaths from the flu , apart from in Mexico . It would seem that the people concerned (WHO , CDC etc.) will know in a short time wether it will pass freely enough from person to person , to cause a pandemic and if it will be a deadly one such as the 1918 one or even the 1957 one or the 1968 one.      The Eu's health commissioner  Andorra Vassiliou ,has advised people to reassess their travel plans and avoid traveling to Mexico or the USA unless it is very important .
 http://uk.news.yahoo.com/21/20090427/tuk-avoid-us-and-mexico-britons-told-6323e80.html
  I hope that helps a bit .....

cheers

Russ

chickens

• Joined Jan 2008
« Reply #41 on: April 27, 2009, 08:08:56 pm »
Hi Russ

Thanks for getting back so quickly, do you think the french will allow them in actually they are flying to england tomorrow night (they have been in halifax) and then getting the boat to france on wednesday.
Thanks
Chickens

rustyme

« Reply #42 on: April 27, 2009, 08:22:16 pm »
as far as I know Chickens , there is no ban or halt on people traveling from either the USA or Mexico , to anywhere in Europe, just the advice not to travel TOO either country .Wether this will change in the next few hours or days I have no idea.    The EU foreign ministers brought forward their meeting, scheduled originally for tomorrow, due to the increase in confirmed cases throughout Mexico , USA , New Zealand , Spain and possible cases in a few other countries including the UK . I would think that the next 24-48 hours will make the severity of the sitution much clearer for everyone . Hopefully the number of deaths will not increase by too many and the spread will ease or maybe even stop . This doesn't , however , look likely . 

cheers

Russ

rustyme

« Reply #43 on: April 27, 2009, 09:17:46 pm »
WHO PANDEMIC ALERT PHASES
Phase 1: No viruses circulating among animals causing infections in humans
Phase 2: Animal influenza virus causes infection in humans, and is considered potential pandemic threat
Phase 3: Influenza causes sporadic cases in people, but no significant human-to-human transmission
Phase 4: Verified human-to-human transmission able to cause community-level outbreaks. Significant increase in risk of a pandemic
Phase 5: Human-to-human transmission in at least two countries. Strong signal pandemic imminent
Phase 6: Virus spreads to another country in a different region. Global pandemic under way

chickens

• Joined Jan 2008
« Reply #44 on: April 27, 2009, 11:03:19 pm »
Thanks Russ for the updates, rather worrying to say the least.  We have been looking after our friends children and now they are worried for their parents who are in halifax in canada.  Lets hope for everyone's sake this is limited.
Chickens

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS