Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: PIG FLU Outbreak  (Read 28029 times)

MiriMaran

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Derbyshire
Re: PIG FLU Outbreak
« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2009, 07:35:41 pm »
OK I'm off to buy some masks!! ;D

pegusus pig

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Anglesey, North wales
« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2009, 07:54:15 pm »
Do they make as nice bacon as pigs?? if so I'm in. ;D ;D ;D :pig:

MiriMaran

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #17 on: April 26, 2009, 07:59:19 pm »
A bit chewy and sticks in the throat I would imagine!

rustyme

« Reply #18 on: April 26, 2009, 08:16:47 pm »
http://uk.news.yahoo.com/4/20090426/tuk-deadly-flu-spreads-across-the-globe-dba1618.html
http://uk.news.yahoo.com/21/20090426/tuk-uk-monitoring-swine-flu-outbreak-6323e80.html

Just more updates.

Politicians 5 freedoms;
 1)  freedom to make their own rules, that apply to them only and remove them from all possibility of any conviction in court, when caught with their hands well and truly in the cookie jar....
 2)  freedom to set their own wage limit (no limit !!) and when caught with their hands in the cookie jar ,to then set new limits that pay even more money !!!!
 3)  freedom to give the UK away without ever asking the people they are meant to serve , and set up a government (EU) that pays even more than they are getting now !!!
 4)  suggestions ???????
 5)  suggestions ???????

cheers

Russ

sausagesandcash

• Joined Jan 2009
  • UK
    • IrishHandcraft
« Reply #19 on: April 26, 2009, 09:45:01 pm »
Oh Emma,

I really do like politicians.

However, I couldn't possibly eat a whole one!!

Morgan

rustyme

« Reply #20 on: April 27, 2009, 11:02:56 am »
http://uk.news.yahoo.com/4/20090427/tuk-swine-flu-certain-to-reach-britain-dba1618.html

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/health-and-wellbeing/health-news/just-how-big-a-threat-will-this-flu-outbreak-be-1674472.html

More updates.
The numbers of deaths , although increasing , seem small at the moment ! However the number of countries with infected people is increasing slowly , while the border between Mexico and America remains as busy as ever (it is said to be the busiest border in the world ).

cheers

Russ

pegusus pig

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Anglesey, North wales
« Reply #21 on: April 27, 2009, 11:28:52 am »
Hi Morgan, Heehee, still got images of politicians walking aimlesslee around a field, complete in suite and with brief case!!  ;D ;D

pegusus pig

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Anglesey, North wales
« Reply #22 on: April 27, 2009, 11:36:32 am »
Human case confirmed in Spain!! My family flew back 1.30am this morning. HELP!! What should i be doing? going to search defra now. They all seem fine no flu symptoms at all, really worried now.  :'( :'( :'(

rustyme

« Reply #23 on: April 27, 2009, 12:10:26 pm »
Try not to worry too much !! Chances are that they are fine . It would be best though , to avoid actual contact with them if possible . I know this is hard to do with relatives , even harder if they live in the same house. Explain what is going on and try to instill the need to use tissues when sneezing or coughing , to wash hands etc . If all else fails , buy an AK47 and shoot anyone that gets within 50 yards of you ..... ::) ::) ::)  No really though , if anyone begins to show any signs of symptoms phone NHS direct and explain the situation , they should be able to advise any necessary actions. The main thing though is don't worry .......

cheers

Russ

Mr Pig

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #24 on: April 27, 2009, 12:15:39 pm »
Please find below a statement from Defra in relation to the Swine Flu outbreak in Mexico.
Please feel free to forward the message to whoever you wish

This is a public health matter and our colleagues in the dept of health and health protection agency are in the lead. But we wanted to reassure you that Defra is - of course - providing them with support. As is usual practice we are working across Government on lines to take. We wanted to share with you the veterinary lines.

This email is being sent to key pig and avian stakeholders given your mutual interest in A type flu viruses which can infect animals and humans.Please feel free to draw on this email in communications to your stakeholders.

The CVO has stated:
There is continual surveillance of pigs in this country and there is currently no evidence of this variant of the disease. Swine Influenza cannot be transmitted by eating pork products. Eating properly handled and cooked pork and pork products is perfectly safe.

"Existing EU rules which prevent imports of all live pigs and pigmeat from Mexico into the EU will continue to be upheld."

We have also prepared some Q&A material which you may want to draw upon- see below. We will continue to keep you and other industry stakeholders informed of any developments which are likely to be of interest to you. You will wish to note that - as is usual practice - veterinary colleagues will during the coming week do an assessment of the risk for the UK. Finally, a reminder that you can find information about swine influenza on the animal disease pages of Defra's website.

Q&A material
Why is this called swine influenza ?
The virus associated with the human cases in Mexico and USA have characteristics from a number of influenza viruses found in pigs, birds and humans.

There are no reports of the virus which is currently causing disease in humans being found in pigs (although the situation in Mexico is uncertain)

There are no reports of an increase in influenza in pigs occurring in the US/Mexico or elsewhere in the world.
Therefore, although parts of this virus may have originated in pigs, it now appears to be transmitting from human to human direct.

There is no evidence that pigs are currently involved in this human disease although further work is needed.
What are the rules about imports of pigs and pigment into the EU?
EU rules do not permit the importation of live pigs from either the US or Mexico
EU rules do not permit the import of pig meat from Mexico, but pigmeat products can be imported from the US.
However, even if pigs are involved with this virus, the risk to humans from pigmeat is considered by the US CDC to be negligible

EU rules do not allow the personal import of meat or meat products from either the US or Mexico.
Can people catch swine flu from eating pork?
No. Swine influenza viruses are not transmitted by food. You cannot get swine influenza from eating pork or pork products.

Eating properly handled and cooked pork and pork products is safe.
Cooking pork to an internal temperature of 160°F kills the swine flu virus as it does other bacteria and viruses.
regards
Alison Reeves
Deputy Director for Exotic Disease Policy - new threats and responses
Food and Farming Group
Area 5A
Nobel House, 17 Smith Sq London,
SW1P 3JR
Tel - 020 7238 6081
Give Disease the Boot - please visit our web site at
<http://www.defra.gov.uk/animalh/diseases/default.htm>

gavo

• Joined Aug 2008
  • Belcoo, Enniskillen, N.Ireland
  • Crazy Pig Lover
« Reply #25 on: April 27, 2009, 01:11:08 pm »
I wonder if there wasn't a recession on would we still be hearing about such things ? Out of the millions in Mexico (around 108) this is hardly a big deal, more people are being run over. Perhaps to put things in perspective we need headlines such as "Cancer epidemic sweeps the UK" or "Heart disease out of control, all people must stay in a hospital for the rest of their lives".
Now I must and set-up the exclusion zone around my farm, they sell fajitas in the village ........

Cheers

Gavin

pegusus pig

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Anglesey, North wales
« Reply #26 on: April 27, 2009, 01:19:17 pm »
A bit difficult to avoid contact as my 6 year old son and my sisters 2 year old and my mother, they all live with me. Must say the AK47 sounds a good idea at the moment, after driving all the way to pick them up then back again arriving home at 4.30 this morning (them sleeping all the way) then having my other two dropped back home at 7 this morning got a sever lack of sleep and now a little bit worried about the swine flu.  ??? ???

There are no reports of the virus which is currently causing disease in humans being found in pigs (although the situation in Mexico is uncertain)

There are no reports of an increase in influenza in pigs occurring in the US/Mexico or elsewhere in the world.
Therefore, although parts of this virus may have originated in pigs, it now appears to be transmitting from human to human direct.

There is no evidence that pigs are currently involved in this human disease although further work is needed.

Thanks for that Mr Pig searched defra and I'm sure the advice on there is really useful but the brain turned off on the second line, will now start worrying about the kids not so much the pigs but with the NHS and the sort they wont be shot on contact!!  They will complain with the slightest sniffle so will definitely be the first to know if anything slightly amiss with them.

Feeling much carmer now, going to find a quiet corner to hid in for a bit.  :) :) :pig:

dixie

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #27 on: April 27, 2009, 01:21:59 pm »
Am I missing something? just looked on DEFRA website and there is no latest info regarding this outbreak, I assumed I would not have to search the site for it and that it would be on the homepage? am I being thick? :pig:

pegusus pig

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Anglesey, North wales
« Reply #28 on: April 27, 2009, 01:25:37 pm »
Thought it was just the brain had turned off on me, not doing to well today, just about understood what Mr Pig posted.  ??? ???

I NEED SLEEP. :pig:

rustyme

« Reply #29 on: April 27, 2009, 02:14:14 pm »
I think there isn't really much Defra can put on their site about swine flu as there seems little chance of it spreading among pigs in the UK , as there is no direct contact with pigs from infected areas.  The threat of it infecting humans is however a different matter . Would this be making the  news if there wasn't a recession ....yes....At the moment the numbers of deaths are very small ,but the ability for those numbers to grow is huge. This is a very similar thing to the flu of 1918 in which millions died thats MILLIONS , 50 million is a number mentioned, which I think in anybodies view is a very large number of people . As for cancer and heart trouble , well there are millions of pounds spent on both and lots of advertising is done to help combat both . However , neither cancer nor heart trouble can be caught via airbourne infection , this flu can . That is the difference.
        Anybody who has children, brings them up telling them to go careful when crossing the road, and it would be  idiotic not to teach them and inform them of the dangers of cars .  If the press and the government were to say nothing about a flu that could spread and kill large numbers wouldn't they be just as idiotic and negligent ?  Think back to 2003 and the SARS incident, publicity, and worldwide government action , prevented a death toll that could have been many times worse.
     I had Hong Kong flu back in 1968 , and I nearly died with it . I therefore take these rogue flu threats very serious. I don't walk round panicking about them , but I want to be informed as much as possible about what is going on in the world. Back in 1918 it took 6 months for the flu virus to spread around the world and kill 50 million people . Today a similar virus could take less than 24 hours to spread to the same extent . Maybe if someone hasn't had a life threatening bout of flu , they aren't bothered about it , well as with all news, they don't need to read it !!!!

cheers

Russ

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS