Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Do I win the price for todays most stupid question?  (Read 3177 times)

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
Do I win the price for todays most stupid question?
« on: June 08, 2012, 10:16:46 am »
Tomorrow we are off to get our first sheep, 3 Coloured Rylands.
We have an IW p6e livestock trailer. The journey is 29 miles but will take about an hour.
Now for the stupid question ........Do we put straw on the fllor of the trailer?
Sally

Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

Dan

• The Accidental Smallholder
  • Administrator
  • Joined Oct 2007
  • Carnoustie, Angus
    • The Accidental Smallholder
    • Facebook
Re: Do I win the price for todays most stupid question?
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2012, 10:33:18 am »
Not a stupid question at all Sally!

We put a layer on straw on the floor of our trailer when moving sheep. It makes it more comfortable for the sheep should they want to lay down, and absorbs (or at least provides a barrier to) any pee and dung.

HTH.  :)

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2012, 10:39:40 am »
The IW trailers have crissy-crossy floors which provide very good grip without anything added, but as well as being more comfortable if they decide to lie down, it'll be easier to clean out if you put down some straw or, if you have it, sawdust / shavings.  Not too much, just enough to help them grip and to absorb some of the wet. 

We always say it - it's only stupid to not ask! :)

And another tip - sweep it out and wash it down as soon as you get the sheep out - it dries very quickly and sticks like glue within a very short space of time!
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2012, 11:24:54 am »
Thanks Both. I will add some straw and clean out afterwards and disinfect with virkon.
Sally
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

Small Farmer

• Joined Jan 2012
  • Bedfordshire
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2012, 04:34:17 am »
The IW trailers have crissy-crossy floors which provide very good grip without anything added, but as well as being more comfortable if they decide to lie down, it'll be easier to clean out if you put down some straw or, if you have it, sawdust / shavings.  Not too much, just enough to help them grip and to absorb some of the wet. 

That seems to depend upon the dealer who supplied it.  Ours doesn't.
Being certain just means you haven't got all the facts

bigchicken

• Joined Nov 2008
  • Fife Scotland
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2012, 07:39:45 am »
Not a stupid question at all, All the above is good advice I would tighten up the space with a Small bale or two of  straw so they done rumble about to much.
Shetland sheep, Castlemilk Moorits sheep, Hebridean sheep, Scots Grey Bantams, Scots Dumpy Bantams. Shetland Ducks.

tizaala

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Dolau, Llandrindod Wells,Powys
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2012, 09:14:17 am »
Sawdust and straw, are good. restrict the movement to stop them flying about and getting injured , and definately wash out asap , cause it does stick like body waste to bedding (s**t to a blanket.)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS