Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Temporary fencing for my Hebs  (Read 2636 times)

JMB

• Joined Apr 2011
Temporary fencing for my Hebs
« on: June 10, 2012, 09:50:49 am »
Hello again. Just thinking about land rotation and we have a big field we want to split in to two.
We need temporary fencing for a variety of reasons, but I've read that electric fencing is not good for horned sheep (certainly not the netting).
We did have some strip electric fencing for a shetland pony here before and the sheep went under it no problem (um...maybe could have fixed it better..,.it was to keep pony in rather than sheep out).
We are now considering sheep hurdles, but would they work over a larger area?
Thought somebody may have a brilliant idea or experiences they'd like to share.
Thank you, Joanne xxxx

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
Re: Temporary fencing for my Hebs
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2012, 10:48:34 am »
You're right about the horns and the netting, it is outlawed by the sheep welfare code to keep horned sheep in using the electric netting.
We have found that for temporary to semi permanent use, a roll of wire stock netting combined with 2 inch ish thin posts works pretty well as long as (and this is important) there are scratching posts/items provided in the field.Probably need proper posts at the end but the infill just to hold the netting up the thin ones work ok for us. We used tree stakes as they were the right sort of size.
Of course the fence isnt anything like as strong as a strained one with proper posts but the crucial thing is that we could bash these posts in with a mallet rather than getting into post hole borers and rammers etc. The tree posts are quite tall so we were able to add an extra wire at the top, just to keep the height up, there would have been room for another wire or two.
Might be worth a small experiment anyway....:-)

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
Re: Temporary fencing for my Hebs
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2012, 11:42:07 am »
We just bit the bullet and put in proper stock fencing to divide our acreage into smaller paddocks for rotation.  Since then we have taken one length back out but the materials will be re-used for another stretch.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS