Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: What a relief!  (Read 2927 times)

Remy

• Joined Dec 2011
What a relief!
« on: June 02, 2012, 11:04:33 am »
All my sheep are finally shorn, it's been a real worry in this hot and humid weather.  Have got to invest in a few more hurdles to make effective races (soon realised one smallish paddock was still too big for sheep that refused to go through the gate!) then I'll be all set for next year  ;D
1 horse, 2 ponies, 4 dogs, 2 Kune Kunes, a variety of sheep

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
Re: What a relief!
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2012, 11:40:16 am »
hoping ours are being done today or at latest by Tuesday, will be fantastic to see them all comfy :-))), they are starting to get quite manky quite early this year in terms of bits coming off everywhere.

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2012, 12:13:41 pm »
Fantastic relief isn't it?! and don't they suddenly look all skinny and funny  ;D  my husband came home and said "ooh, they look like dogs now!"
peace of mind that they are comfortable and safer from strike  :thumbsup:
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2012, 01:03:49 pm »
'nuther month or so to go here - wish they were done already, mind you it's cold, windy and going to rain all week after tomorrow  :P  so maybe not.

kelpy

• Joined Jun 2011
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2012, 04:39:06 pm »
wish mine were done.
not till the 11th june,if it rains can get them done earlier,now i want it rain hmm or do i it's nice being able to do jobs without getting wet!

Pasture Farm

• Joined Aug 2011
  • East Lincolnshire
  • Trusty Traca
    • Pasture Poultry
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2012, 07:05:56 pm »
Mine are still to be done not had enough sun on them and the fleece is still very tight and thick grease at the skin so the shearer wont do them yet. Ive had them in again to dag them and check for strike and three of them had tiny strike patches. So  :fc:  that we can get them done next week and then treat them for strike

blades

• Joined Jun 2011
  • Huntly
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2012, 07:34:21 pm »
We just got into Ryelands this year so this was our first shearing experience  :sheep:  We watched them go from lovely pedigree ryelands (teddy bears) to scabby looking hill goats (only kidding girls) in only a matter of minutes! Didn't like them getting the odd nick but I guess it's inevitable that this happens? We have seem them suffer a little with the recent warm weather so it was nice to see them with the fleeces off and all behaving with lamb like playfulness... Very enjoyable to watch. Next challenge will be spraying them with Crovect!

Planning to start some halter training in the next couple of weeks.

For the folks that know us and our sheep 'Pickle' is behaving like a pet dog... Always eager for some petting  :)

Good luck to everyone just about to shear  :farmer:
Metal Detectorist

Remy

• Joined Dec 2011
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2012, 09:02:30 am »
Well I don't think my poor sheep are too impressed with being shorn - today it's wet, cold and windy and has been tipping it down all night!  So maybe those of you who have a while to go are better off, lol!

It was amazing to see just how much fleece some of them had - the Zwartbles in particular went from these huge brown beasts to skinny little black things  ;D

Halter training is a godsend, especially with the larger ones.  My Ryeland ram isn't halter trained and if he doesn't want to go somewhere he's a PITA - so I halter trained the Gotland and Zwartbles ram and what a difference it makes!
1 horse, 2 ponies, 4 dogs, 2 Kune Kunes, a variety of sheep

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS