Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: shear recommendations please  (Read 5463 times)

clydesdaleclopper

• Joined Aug 2009
  • Aberdeenshire
shear recommendations please
« on: May 31, 2012, 12:37:49 pm »
I'd like to hand shear my mob this year rather then relying on my neighbour to do them. I wondered which shears people would recommend. I've looked on the Burgon & Ball website but I don't know which would be most suitable as I don't know enough about fleeces or shearing yet. My girls are Gotland x Sheltand if that makes a difference. Also I have quite small hands. Does anyone have any advice?
Our holding has Anglo Nubian and British Toggenburg goats, Gotland sheep, Franconian Geese, Blue Swedish ducks, a whole load of mongrel hens and two semi-feral children.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
Re: shear recommendations please
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2012, 03:52:30 pm »
I use double-bowed ones, they are less hard to press. I also use dagging shears more than the proper clipping shears, as I find it is not so hard on my wrists (Carpal Tunnel syndrome). Fortunately this year we managed to get all of them in, and all got done by the shearer last week. But I realy do like hand clipping (using my own methods...)

Just out of interest - have you got any pictures of your Gotland x Shetlands? I have mated a Gotland gimmer to my Shetland tup, unfortunately she must have slipped her lamb(s), as despite a large blue bum she did not produce any. What's the fleece like?

SingingShearer

• Joined Mar 2010
  • South Yorkshire
    • Singing Shearer
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2012, 08:00:30 pm »
Hi.

Recommended would be the South African Rosa shears which are not easy to get hold of (I had to get in touch with the manufacturers) but the best Burgon and Ball shears for general shearing are the no10 Drummer Boy shears.

Hope this helps,
Philip :sheep:

Dougal

• Joined Jul 2011
  • Port O' Menteith, Stirlingshire
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2012, 10:42:04 pm »
The South African Shears are the best for the hand shearing job, alternatively use the electric variety and you hand won't ache for a week ;D ! Remember the easiest way to shear a sheep.. get some other daft sod to do it for you!
Best of luck with the job, let us all know how you get on.
It's always worse for someone else, so get your moaning done before they start using up all the available symathy!

clydesdaleclopper

• Joined Aug 2009
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2012, 12:55:22 pm »
Remember the easiest way to shear a sheep.. get some other daft sod to do it for you!

Not so easy where we are with just a small flock  ::)

Thanks for the advice. Where can I buy the South African shears?
Our holding has Anglo Nubian and British Toggenburg goats, Gotland sheep, Franconian Geese, Blue Swedish ducks, a whole load of mongrel hens and two semi-feral children.

clydesdaleclopper

• Joined Aug 2009
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2012, 01:02:08 pm »
Another question I'm afraid. What is the best blade length to get - seeing as I'm new to this and speed isn't the most important thing - rather not shredding my girls to peices. Is shorter likely to be better?

SingingShearer

• Joined Mar 2010
  • South Yorkshire
    • Singing Shearer
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2012, 09:36:29 am »
Where can I buy the South African shears?

South Africa ;D , I had to contact the manufacturers to get some sent and they took months to arrive, I may have to get some more sent though.

Rosa shears are very simalar to B&B No10 Drummer Boy shears only Rosa shears are harder steel and better made.
The best length for shearing is around 6" the shorter shears are dagging shears and that is all they are good for.

Thanks,

FiB

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Bala, North Wales
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2012, 10:08:56 am »
Philip I will have some if you import a few - please :eyelashes: .   Thanks, Fi

SingingShearer

• Joined Mar 2010
  • South Yorkshire
    • Singing Shearer
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2012, 11:35:42 am »
Hi FiB,

Ok I will contact him today if I remember ;D .

Have you sheared the other two sheep :sheep: :sheep: yet? ;)

Thanks,

kumquat

• Joined May 2012
  • Ruthin, North Wales
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2012, 12:02:29 pm »
Hi FiB,

Ok I will contact him today if I remember ;D .

Hi Philip,
I did some searching online yesterday and found these on a SA website [size=78%]http://www.landmarkonline.co.za/home/productview?pgrp=71765[/size]
I'm assuming they are the ones you mean? Can you confirm please?
I've asked about delivery charges to the UK (Wales). I'll post any info i get back  :fc:

Jon

PS..... Hi All...What a great forum  :wave:
Proud member of the Soay Sheep Society :thumbsup:

SingingShearer

• Joined Mar 2010
  • South Yorkshire
    • Singing Shearer
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2012, 12:26:00 pm »
Hi Kumquat,

Yes they are the shears but they are cheaper straight from the makers when you buy a few sets at once.

Thanks,

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS