Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Possible Future Goat Newbie  (Read 5726 times)

cheryl

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Essex
Possible Future Goat Newbie
« on: May 21, 2012, 12:16:54 am »
Um... yeah. I'm not good at titles.

Anyway, I kept pigs for the first time this year, and they'll be going at the end of the month. I've had great fun with them, and will definitely be raising pigs again next year, but I've been turning my mind to goats recently.

I'm not completely sure they're for me, they sound a little complicated with disbudding and escaping and milking (the part I'd be particularly interested in, but it looks tricky!).

The thing is, I've had a bit of a tough time not getting too attached to the pigs, so while I will be getting pigs again next year, I'd also like to look into raising an animal that's not ultimately destined for the freezer, something if it ok to get a little attached to, if that doesn't sound too terribly girlie!

I'm still in the very (very very!) early stages of reading up and trying to decide if goats are for me, but I wanted to get some opinions/advice. Are they difficult to raise? How bad are they for escaping - would a proper fence with maybe some electric wire be enough to hold them, realistically? Also, is milking as tricky/scary as it looks? And are all kids disbudded? (I've seen a few threads on here about it causing problems)

I realise a lot of this information is out there on the net, but there seems to be so much conflicting information!

Anyway, thanks for reading my ramblings, I'd appreciate any input  :)

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
Re: Possible Future Goat Newbie
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2012, 12:57:12 am »
Hi Cheryl
Loving my goats, it's tempting to try and encourage you to go for goats, but it has to be up to you to finally decide. Why not go to some shows this summer, have a look, goatkeepers always seem happy to talk about their 'babies', but will probably insist their breed is the best!
I have ordinary stock fence, with a single strand of electric fence about 2' round the inside, one of my girls can clear a stockfence from standing, but she respects the electric wire.
With disbudding you are only hearing about the problems here, because owners are concerned and asking for advice, there will be many many more with no problem, OR, you could leave them with horns (personally I prefer disbudded, I think it's safer, but depends on circumstances).
Milking isn't difficult, once you get the hang of it, think of how the milk is worked down, it will be easy, and a pleasure, and you'll bond with your girls, so don't just think getting 'a little' attached, you may find they take over your life ;D .
Info on the 'net is very useful, and this site must be one of the best, but I still think it's good to curl up and read books, your local library may have books or will get them for you, and it's good to use local services, or we may lose them.

Skirza

• Joined Mar 2011
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2012, 06:34:20 am »
Hi Cheryl, totally agree with Penninehillbilly. My goats respect the electric wire, milking is fine once you get the hang of it, never had a problem with disbudding. The biggest problem with goats is the 'getting attached' bit. Once a goat lover, always a goat lover in my opinion. They steal your heart. On that note, you have to ask yourself what you will do if your goats have male kids.

I agree that going to the odd show and checking out the goats and their owners is a good idea, you can decide what breed would suit you best.

Goats aren't complicated, all they need is shelter, food and loads of love  :thumbsup:

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2012, 06:43:23 am »
Just what everyone says  :thumbsup: 

If I ever had to downside, my goats are my 'non-negotiables'  ;D

Whereabouts are you, maybe you can find a goalkeeper on here that you could visit?

countrywoman

• Joined Nov 2011
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2012, 08:24:07 am »
I started having thoughts like yours less than a year ago.  Talked myself out of it several times before I tentatively mentioned goat keeping to my husband... 

Finally we decided to ask someone we knew who used to have goats years ago for info and the best advice I got was to join our local goat club (didn't even know there was a goat club until then).  Everyone I met through the club has been helpful with both knowledge and in practical ways too. 

Now I have my two milking goats and I've been through the whole is she/isn't she in season, is she/isn't she pregnant phase and produced three lovely kids.  I make cheese which apart from being delicious gives me a huge sense of achievement.  When the weather is cold/wet/windy and I am beside the fire, I go out to make sure the girls are cosy in their house because I can't rest until I'm sure. They are wonderful animals who enjoy company and are always pleased to see you. 

But it isn't all fun.  They are also a 24/7 commitment who rely on you for everything.  Mine only drink hot water (didn't know they had been got used to this before I bought them) which means long treks with sloshing buckets twice a day. 

I went into this with enthusiasm and trepidation in equal quantities - am I glad I did it?  You bet!

chickenfeed

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2012, 09:34:12 am »
as already said visit local agricultural shows talk to the keepers they are always happy to talk. look up local goat keepers clubs a contact them. mum has breed & shown goats for over 40 years and is always happy to go over all husbandry that will be required along with milking practice if needed i am sure loads of other breeders with be equally pleased to do the same.
where abouts are you ?

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2012, 12:46:28 pm »
Definitely seek out a local goat club if you can - prior to joining the Worcester goat club, I had 2 very poorly goats die on me  :'(   I had amazing support here on TAS but no-one to actually go to, or to come to me as at that point I didnt' know anyone locally.
We have meetings that cover various topics eg.kidding, feeding and so on and no question is too daft to ask. We also meet at each others holdings sometimes to see other set ups.
A good breeder will talk to you till the cows (goats?) come home about goat husbandry. When I bought mine I came across someone most unhelpful who basically said "if you've never owned goats, I'm not selling you any of mine..." this meant in the end I was too nervous to talk to 'real' breeders and bought some from a lady who was very nice, but as inexperienced as I was. These goats were not CAE tested, wormed, vaccinated, hooves were very poorly cared for etc....If I knew then what I know now...hindsight a wonderful thing etc etc.....

They are hard work, they do cause worries on occasion but like the others have said you are only reading the bad experiences of disbudding, kidding etc on here because we all fly to TAS to seek help when we have a problem  :)   99% of the time keeping goats is rewarding, fun and I can't imagine life without mine now. Yes holiday cover is a little tricky, day's out are cut short due to milking time but that's a small price to pay!
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2012, 04:02:26 pm »
definitely go and see some goats in their homes, talk to goat keepers at shows and read up as much as you can (Your local library should have a number of goatbooks, the ones from the 70s and 80s are often still quite accurate and are written for the smallholder). If you have a fairly local goat club (if not on Google, try and phone the British Goat s Society and see if they have any addresses of goatkeepers/clubls nearby). Where are you? You could come and look at mine, we are in the Scottish Borders.

When I thought about smallholding it was going to be pigs as the main venture, then I went WOOF-ing and they had Golden Guernsey goats - well that was it. I now have three GG breeding goats, my first female GG kid (after 3 years of breeding 7 males in a row...) and also 4 British Toggenburg milkers. Raising 5 kids this year...

GOATS ARE ADDICTIVE  ;D

Oh, and don't let anyone tell you goatsmilk tastes any different to cowsmilk - homeproduced unpasteurised freshly cooled goatsmilk is just the best thing ever.

cheryl

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Essex
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2012, 05:08:26 pm »
Thanks for all the replies. I'm in Essex, near Southend area, and will definitely get along to some goat shows, and see where the nearest goat club is (I didn't know they existed!)

It's good to hear that people's experiences have been mostly positive. Knowing it's going to be a long term commitment I'm going to really take my time before making a decision, I'm not generally one to rush into things, but the last thing I want to do is end up regretting my choice :)

Brucklay

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Perthshire
    • Brucklay Pygmy Goats
    • Facebook
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2012, 05:58:04 pm »
Apart from having loved pygmy goats from long ago helping at a park the up side of the breed is males are causrated and go for pet as when I started out I had difficulty with the 'where males go thing' sorry bit girlie too. Now I am able to take lambs to market as I know they have been totally loved during their life. Saying that if I was to start again with goats I would still choose pygmys as they are so funny, naughty, adorable etc and not too big for me to hand on my own - saying that they are stocky and can be strong for their size. On the down side they don't kid as easily as dairy goats but again it's only bad stories we read.
Pygmy Goats, Shetland Sheep, Zip & Indie the Border Collies, BeeBee the cat and a wreak of a building to renovate!!

tizaala

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Dolau, Llandrindod Wells,Powys
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2012, 08:05:03 pm »
Goats are as easy or hard as you want them to be, like all animals they require a standard of care, long hairs need brushing,all feet need trimming, they all need the right sort of food for the type of goat you want to keep, I would rather keep goats than cows or horses, We milk ours and make cheese, we want a cream separator so we can make our own butter, They can be the most enfuriating animal if they want to go one way and you want to go another, but we love e'm.

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2012, 11:59:43 pm »
I would also recommend looking into the different breeds.  Mine are Sanaans or Sanaans crosses, which is a lovely placid breed.  I have four foot high fencing round their yard and they've never attempted to get over it even when in season.  However, a British Alpine who was here for a few weeks was forever trying to escape.  A BA keeper I know reckons that BAs are for thsoe who like a challenge.  Personally, I like the milk, yoghurt, cheese and the company of goats but I don't want a challenge.  I'm all for a peaceful life.  ;D

There are other placid breeds too, but I'm not so sure about which ones.  Assuming you will any males for meat, crossing a dairy goat with a Boer produces good size animals which are good for milk and meat.

WARNING:  Goat keeping is addictive.   :goat:

cheryl

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Essex
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2012, 12:37:19 am »
I've been doing a bit of reading regarding breeds, I'd have to say my favourite on appearances is the British Alpine, but I'm not sure I'm up to that sort of challenge. I really like the look of the saanen though, and it seems like they'd be much better suited to me.

I'm really keen to go to a couple of shows and see some in the flesh, but I'm not having much luck finding any (I think I'm having a bit of a blonde day  ::) ) Could anyone point me in the right direction? Thanks
« Last Edit: May 22, 2012, 12:38:50 am by cheryl »

chickenfeed

« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2012, 06:39:54 am »
look on the british goat society web site click on news there should be a list of 2012 shows

tizaala

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Dolau, Llandrindod Wells,Powys
« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2012, 07:42:53 am »
Having a blonde day? ....Point you in the right direction....?.   now we know you're an Essex Girl. :wave:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS