Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Cauliflower  (Read 4714 times)

The Relic

• Joined Mar 2009
  • County Down
Cauliflower
« on: April 19, 2009, 11:19:19 pm »
had some cauliflower growing in the porch its a couple of inches high so decided yesterday to put half out into the veg plot to see what would happen. the weather has been good and when i went out today they were all wilted away. did the sun do this. anyone have any ideas for successful planting outside.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
Re: Cauliflower
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2009, 11:28:01 pm »
If you water them again they may come OK.  That has happened to me before now.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

sellickbhoy

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Muiravonside, near Linlithgow
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2009, 11:02:28 am »
is it not the case that you need to harden the plants off for a bit - so stick them outside for a few hours each day and let them get used to the cold before throwing them in at the deep end?

I've got chillis and Toms on the go and during the day i take them out of the heated propagator so the temp drops form 30 degrees down to 18 degrees, but they go back in at night

but i'll soon be leaving them out of the propagator 24/7 then in another 3/4 weeks i'll move them out to the greenhouse

I've got shallots and early tatties in containers in the greenhouse, i now take them outside in the morning and leave them out during the day and pop them back at night - they'll be getting left out all night soon (i need room for the chillis and toms!!! LOL)

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2009, 12:09:45 pm »
Lord that sounds like hard work.

sellickbhoy

• Joined Jan 2009
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2009, 12:37:59 pm »
i'd love to say i did it religiously!!! LOL

but the intentions are good

The Relic

• Joined Mar 2009
  • County Down
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2009, 03:13:23 pm »
way 2 much hard work lol i only put them out cos it was so nice and with a couple of hours of sun that day the next morning they were knackered (just looked now 2 are battling).have to be more careful with my backups

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2009, 11:47:52 pm »
They'll have got dried out - plant out in the cool of the day - evening - and water them well in.  They should be OK.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

sellickbhoy

• Joined Jan 2009
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2009, 09:26:08 am »
They'll have got dried out - plant out in the cool of the day - evening - and water them well in.  They should be OK.

i was always told it's best to water plants in the evening - during the day the sun will evaporate water off, so best to do it at night and give it a chance to soak in and let the plants hoover it up.

Lizt

• Joined Jan 2008
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2009, 09:16:36 pm »
Oh No!
I haven't sown my cauliflowers yet! Is it too late! The packet says May! Never grown them before. Yikes!
Liz

The Relic

• Joined Mar 2009
  • County Down
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2009, 09:46:53 pm »
i wouldnt say so my motto is "ah sure stick them in and see what happens"

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2009, 09:20:17 am »
I have put some of my cabbage plants out this week with plastic milk bottles cut in halve over them to give them a bit of protection from the weather so far they have not looked back and plan to do the same when planting out the cauliflower. the bottle gives them planty of room to grow and protects them also from any nasty beasties.  ;D

hexhammeasure

• Joined Jun 2008
    • golocal food
    • Facebook
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2009, 04:29:40 pm »
Watering in the evening is good in the garden but in a cold frame or greenhouse you should... 'Ne'er put a plant to bed with wet feet' So my old boss used to say. The greenhouses were never watered after 3pm (tea time)
Ian

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS