Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: A day started and ended well but as for the middle...  (Read 5036 times)

Pedwardine

• Joined Feb 2012
  • South Lincolnshire
A day started and ended well but as for the middle...
« on: May 17, 2012, 10:32:28 am »
Had our new three strand fencing delivered today for the ewes and lambs to move into the next grazing. OH went over the road to the 7 acre field where it's going to go to get some prep done whilst I stayed at ours eeking out a bit more grass for the ewes and lambs. Got them contained nicely in a temporary area with netting which wasn't connected to the battery-lots of grass and wild flowers and hedgrow to munch. Came in arranged for a parcel collection on t'internet. Went back out and there were sheep everywhere including in with the donkeys who were most put out and decided to escape also. Chief concern was some lambs very very close to a small but very deep natural pond. Got dogs in (but you've only just let us out) and ran (I don't do running-do lifting and pulling and pushing but not running) over the road to get OH and finally got back enough breath to state problem. Both ran back, got bucket of bribery in order to get girls/lambs from EVERYWHERE into a nice little paddock which had permanent fencing. Discovered three lambs very tangled in the chicken netting I had used (all I had spare) which had brought the netting down and everyone had obviously just stepped over said lambs to get out. Won't be using that again-lesson learned.
We eventually, after a teensy bit of swearing on my part (my period is due OKAY) got what we hoped was all sheepies into the little paddock and began the count. One ewe with a lamb at foot was rather distressed calling her second lamb who wasn't making itself known. We started thinking toward drowning possibilities but kept counting. It wasn't easy as the ewes and lambs weren't all settled after the excitement but we didn't have the luxury of waiting. We took it in turns, one looking (in the pond in particular) and one counting. It didn't work couldn't get anywhere near the 55 lambs we should have so we split paddock visually into two halves and walked up and down several times to be sure and added our results together. Sigh of relief. BIG hugs. 55 lambs. Little one was very full and very tired and couldn't be arsed to answer/go to mum.
The donkeys went back in with carrots bless 'em.
I finished fencing. OH went back over the road. Knackeredness ensued.
Later on as the sun was going down, it was the warmest, calmest part of the day and we both sat with the sheep having put Messrs Bobbles, our two White Wyandotte cockerels manually to bed as the fencing was now across their access route. I'd had a wee cuddle with one of them and he fell asleep in my arms despite the lamby attention he was getting.
The dogs had a good play on the ouside of the fence where they could still see us and they all fell asleep in a big pile.
We sat on an upturned feed trough and had lambys and ewes come up for fuss. One ewe, Darcie actually licks us when we fuss her. It's LOVELY. I had a rather large ram lamb on my lamb, dropping off to sleep. We looked around at all the beautiful family groups, occasionally getting interrupted by a gang of lamby hooligans doing the running/butting thing. everyone was SO content and very sleepy. It had been a very exciting day for the young ones. The hassles they had caused us were quite forgotten by all. Just sat there thinking 'this is why we do this'.
Bliss, just bliss.,

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
Re: A day started and ended well but as for the middle...
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2012, 10:59:14 am »
Lovely story glad had happy ending! :)
mandy  :pig:

Fowlman

• Joined Apr 2012
  • Wiltshire
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2012, 11:03:34 am »
Testing day but worth it in the end, well done and enjoy  ;D
Tucked away on the downs in wiltshire.

bigchicken

• Joined Nov 2008
  • Fife Scotland
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2012, 11:10:45 am »
Ay!  been there, fantastic, keeping animals can have its moments gets the old ticker going at times and we wouldn't have it any other way. 
Shetland sheep, Castlemilk Moorits sheep, Hebridean sheep, Scots Grey Bantams, Scots Dumpy Bantams. Shetland Ducks.

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2012, 11:51:39 am »
 :thumbsup: Glad they were all present and correct.

Wish my lambs liked a cuddle.

Brucklay

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Perthshire
    • Brucklay Pygmy Goats
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2012, 11:58:09 am »
Lovely story - I have a cuddly rammy lamby too - can't go to bed without cuddles
Pygmy Goats, Shetland Sheep, Zip & Indie the Border Collies, BeeBee the cat and a wreak of a building to renovate!!

Pedwardine

• Joined Feb 2012
  • South Lincolnshire
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2012, 12:56:52 pm »
Ram lambs always seem to be the friendliest in my experience. Makes it harder down the line though  :( Still, they deserve love as much as anyone else, perhaps more hey?

LOCHBYRE

• Joined May 2011
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2012, 08:30:41 pm »
What a tale  ;D
I too love a sheepy cuddle and have a v friendly ram lamb just now  :-*

MrsJ

• Joined Jan 2009
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2012, 08:22:49 am »
Ahh!  They are worth all the effort aren't they?!

SteveHants

• Joined Aug 2011
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2012, 11:48:38 pm »

.....We eventually, after a teensy bit of swearing on my part (my period is due OKAY) got what we hoped was all sheepies into the little paddock and began the count.

If you have never sworn at your sheep, then something is not right.... ;D

bigchicken

• Joined Nov 2008
  • Fife Scotland
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2012, 12:13:04 am »
Swear, curse, shout, jump up and down, walk, run, race, chase, corner, catch, grab, snatch, trick, out smart, out smarted, but never give up. And I don't get periods I,m just mad  ;D ;D ;D
Shetland sheep, Castlemilk Moorits sheep, Hebridean sheep, Scots Grey Bantams, Scots Dumpy Bantams. Shetland Ducks.

Pedwardine

• Joined Feb 2012
  • South Lincolnshire
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2012, 08:07:11 am »
They are definately worth it. I write this with a very sore left temple where a little lamb with a VERY HARD HEAD jumped into it whilst I was bottle feeding another. I was a little dazed.... ???  Lambs seem to be jumping as high as they can over and onto things lately. Had my first tap dancer on top of the creep feeder yesterday. Marvellous!

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2012, 05:56:21 pm »
The joy of animals  ;D

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS