Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: What dose your veg patch look like?  (Read 18742 times)

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
Re: What dose your veg patch look like?
« Reply #45 on: June 24, 2012, 06:00:56 pm »
I will definitely try to take on some advice from here- cut the tallest and flowering weeds off soon rather than even making attempts at digging. Although I must admit it is a pleasure to see that the Goldfinches are eating seeds, dangling of the weeds! ;D :&>

holz306

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #46 on: July 03, 2012, 10:42:41 pm »
 :innocent:   my veg patch is a little more west-coast/highlands-style.....a little more rustic than a lot of these, but i will try to get photo's tomorrow.....

Mel Rice

• Joined Sep 2011
« Reply #47 on: July 04, 2012, 10:52:37 am »
My Veg plot is growing but I think the weeds are growing faster!!!

Northfieldduckling...I fence my plot with old netting from hay bales It deters the chooks (we dont get wild bunnies so its enough!)

Mel

« Reply #48 on: July 05, 2012, 06:32:56 am »
Lots of weeds this year,completely overgrown in areas and am trying to keep up with it but it is a losing battle,I need to spend a week in amongst my raised beds though is only just starting to dry out!

deepinthewoods

« Reply #49 on: July 05, 2012, 08:55:58 am »
me too, i cant keep up with the weeding, its making for some very nice compost tho!

MAK

• Joined Nov 2011
  • Middle ish of France
    • Cadeaux de La forge
« Reply #50 on: July 05, 2012, 12:41:20 pm »
Our veg plot is doing Ok except for the potatoes.
I had to buy some seed spuds only to discover that half rotted ( probabley hit by the severe cold we had pre sale). So now for the interesting bit.
I planted my seed spuds near the area we had a bumper crop from last year. This years spuds are fine and they are doing fine - BUT - my old neighbour gave me a bucket of her seed spuds ( left over from last year) which I planted in 2 rows near my new crop. All of her plants are infested with collarado beetle and just a couple of mine have the buggers too. I read up on the beetle and it seems the larvae live in the soil and the adult flys little. Since my crop was clean last year I can only assume that the larvae also finds its way onto the very crop that their parents would have devasted last year.
Oh - I am unsure if we get carrot root fly but I planted mine bewteen rows of beetroot so as to shield the carrots from low flying carrot fly. Seems to have worked as the carrots are great.
www.cadeauxdelaforge.fr
Gifts and crafts made by us.

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #51 on: July 06, 2012, 12:21:11 pm »
Lots of potatoes and onions doing well. My fruit patch along side though another matter - I decided to let it grow long and meadowy to encourage bee's and the like, sadly its encouraged chickens who now lay eggs under my gooseberry bush and its hurts crawling under there!
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #52 on: July 06, 2012, 03:26:21 pm »
me too, i cant keep up with the weeding, its making for some very nice compost tho!

lucky you, deepitw! I just seem to have dock, couch grass, buttercups and thinstles-all annoying rooty things which keep growing on the compost....only that many big tubs available here to drown the bl%%"y things - at least we're not drowning ourselves at the mo, feel do sorry for folk down south!  :bouquet: :&>

deepinthewoods

« Reply #53 on: July 06, 2012, 04:11:15 pm »
i too have all those weeds, the trick is to build a 'proper' heap rather than ust adding bits here and there, i make piles of the stuff im gonna compost then make a whole heap in one go then cover it up. ive got a compost thermometer and check the temperature daily, as long as it hits 150 deg f or more it will compost anything down. i mix those weeds up with grass, old straw bedding from the chooks, and paper and cardboard then water it in with sheep dag stew or any stinky water will do! then put a cap on of soil.

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #54 on: July 06, 2012, 06:37:27 pm »
Thanks for the tips, deepitw - as I have heaps everywhere at the mo it will be not much of a problem to make one out of it all - just choose a spot to put it  ;D :&>

deepinthewoods

« Reply #55 on: July 06, 2012, 06:58:09 pm »
the bigger the better! actually the optimum iirc is a 4ft cube with air access from the sides and something to insulate the top. if its not getting hot within a few hours or a day at the max, remix it and add more water, i splash a couple of buckets full on top of mine.
theres something really exciting about watching the temperature race up when youve got it mixed right, and it will compost in weeks not months.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS