Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: What dose your veg patch look like?  (Read 18741 times)

Bert

• Joined Jan 2012
  • Isle of Mull
What dose your veg patch look like?
« on: May 16, 2012, 07:48:17 am »
So I see lot of photos on this vegetable sub section of the forum of lot of veg all growing beautifully ( Normally always doing better than anything I'm producing  ::) ) and I was wondering how does every one else have there veg gardens layed out ?
 Here is mine ( I wish I just work here)

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
Re: What dose your veg patch look like?
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2012, 12:31:01 am »
This is how I would like mine to be.  In actual fact I have raised beds in different parts of the garden due to lots of small walls being there when we moved in.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2012, 12:47:40 am »
I don't have raised beds, just lovely rows of veggies - if I can get them in the ground that is  ::)  I am now using weed suppressing fabric to help with the weeds so it doesn't look so pretty.   In the tunnel I don't have beds either so I end up with a lovely jungle in a good year.  I don't like bare soil or unproductive areas of grass in my veg garden.   
« Last Edit: May 19, 2012, 12:09:37 pm by Fleecewife »
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Dan

• The Accidental Smallholder
  • Administrator
  • Joined Oct 2007
  • Carnoustie, Angus
    • The Accidental Smallholder
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2012, 07:14:03 am »
Would this be a good online show?

Bert, what are the tall corner posts with cross-wires for?

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2012, 11:01:00 am »
A very sorry brown patch of mud at present :-[
Might actually get something planted in it this weekend if the weather improves
Mandy  :pig:

Bert

• Joined Jan 2012
  • Isle of Mull
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2012, 02:39:24 pm »
Would this be a good online show?

Bert, what are the tall corner posts with cross-wires for?
Online show sounds good to me  :thumbsup: (you would have to explain how it all works, I don't get it I'm not very bright  ??? )
I'm glad you mentioned the posts with cross wires Dan, I haven't got any idea, constructed by my predecessor. I would like to grow something edible and permanent  up them but don't know what. So if any one has any suggestions let me know. Don't forget it's a little wetter, breezier and cooler on the west coast of Scotland so no grapes ;D

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2012, 09:52:01 pm »
"what does my vegetable patch look like?"

.... Untidy!!
Little Blue

MAK

• Joined Nov 2011
  • Middle ish of France
    • Cadeaux de La forge
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2012, 08:19:41 am »
Poor - we had a frost 2 days ago followed by afternoon temperatures in the mid 20s. My courgettes are dead and the spuds that we doing well all got hit by the frost. No fruit has set on the fruit trees and I have yet to plant out tomatoes or peppers. What a rubbish year. Garlic looks good though.
I dare not share any photos as compared to this time last year the veg patch looks terrible.
www.cadeauxdelaforge.fr
Gifts and crafts made by us.

Mel Rice

• Joined Sep 2011
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2012, 11:36:40 am »
Starting to look good (well I think so) I'll ask OH to put pics on (Hes I T savie Im not)

I put my toms in this morning (with my fingers crossed) Have only one section that is not designated yet But Im sure something will fill it soon!
1st row: (nearest the pond) blueberries,raspberries, rhubarb and blackcurrants.
2nd row: gourds, space, future sweet corn and spuds
3rd row:  future brasiccas(if they germinate this time!) mangetout, and peas
4th row: Feeding roots, carrots, onions, garlic, leeks/salad crops And peas along one side
5th row  filling up slowly with root crops in rows for sucsession. Beetroot, turnip, radish mangolds, spinach, pasnips and sweede.
6th row: bean frame(waiting) Broad beans, Strawberries
last row: butternut squash courgettes, tiny space, toms.

benkt

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Cambridgeshire
    • Hempsals Community Farm
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2012, 10:24:31 pm »
A few pics from our patch today:
First one is the legume rotation in the 'raised bed area'. Here we've got 18 beds, 5m x 1.3m each, half with peas and half broad beans.
Next up is the fifth of the 'raised bed' areas which is the 'everything else' rotation. This is further down our plot where we ploughed, hence the slightly 'earthly' look. The first six beds are done and planted with spinach (covered with nets) and we put down six more beds today which we'll no doubt fill up tomorrow.
Third piccy is the 'spud field', part of a four-fold rotation planned at the bottom end of our patch, looking pretty sorry for mid May though - I blame the wet and cold!

Final pic is our large greenhouse, the polytunnel is just as full so hopefully weather is mild and dry enough now for us to start moving these outside, there's no room to walk in there any more!

MAK

• Joined Nov 2011
  • Middle ish of France
    • Cadeaux de La forge
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2012, 05:01:26 pm »
Wow benkt -you must eat a lot of spinach !  :D

I guess that you exchange or sell the beans,peas,spinach and spuds as 8 rows of each is an awful lot for a veg patch.

planted a few melons out today as the forecast is for warmer weather.
www.cadeauxdelaforge.fr

benkt

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Cambridgeshire
    • Hempsals Community Farm
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2012, 08:05:15 pm »
Yes, we do  veg boxes for the 16 member families of our community farm. Its our first year scaling up from allotment to a couple of acres of market garden so only time will tell if we've planted far too much  or not nearly enough!

Would love to do melons successfully one day though, might have to move first though!

MAK

• Joined Nov 2011
  • Middle ish of France
    • Cadeaux de La forge
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2012, 08:13:37 pm »
Good luck with providing for others Benkt and hope the large scale production turns out well. The real challenge is for those who have to process/cook/freeze/bottle/chutney/pickle or curry all thet you produce  ;D .
I have planted spuds on a big scale this year as we have 2 young pigs and a large cellar to fill but have otherwise cut ack on stuff or painfully sowed half a dozen brassicas in succesion. Processing 28 cauliflowers was no fun last year.
www.cadeauxdelaforge.fr

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2012, 12:10:12 am »
Mine has just dried out, I have veg seeds coming on in the pollytunnel with the hope that in the not to distant future I will get them planted out  ;D

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2012, 09:31:54 pm »
i would mostly like to annouce that there are now veg in my veg garden, finally got my spuds in last weekend only a month late! Now just to keep the flamin' rabbits and pigeons out!
Mandy :pig:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS