Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: What dose your veg patch look like?  (Read 18744 times)

jellybean

• Joined May 2012
Re: What dose your veg patch look like?
« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2012, 02:22:14 pm »
Can you not approach DEFRA and get some rabbit baits.    Keep Alpacas and that keeps your birds away.     Put  bird netting over your vegie patch.....  If fine enough will keep the cabbage white butterfly out as well.

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2012, 09:32:16 am »
The veg garden is completely surrounded by chicken wire dug in several inches and covered with fine mesh but something has still got in and decimated one strawberry plant, snapped some beans off and dug out a cabbage so checking for holes but cannot find any so mystified!
Don't like putting bait down as we have a dog and the pigs free range a lot!
mandy  :pig:

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #17 on: June 01, 2012, 11:10:28 am »
We have just had a couple of days of good rain following on from ages of hot drought - boy the weeds are loving it  ::) ::) :'(   So my veg garden looks lusciously green but not from the crops.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

MAK

• Joined Nov 2011
  • Middle ish of France
    • Cadeaux de La forge
« Reply #18 on: June 01, 2012, 07:12:12 pm »
Despite saying I am cutting back on veg I have now expanded the veg plot! All the fruit trees got hit by a late frost so we will need more veg for the pigs. Our old neighbour has come up trumps and her son ploughed a few more lines for me to plant spuds, swedes and parsnips. Another neighbour ran his tractor over a patch of land we have ( so we now have plenty of hay to gather) and I planted 10 pumpkins. Harvesting lettuce and everything has caught up after the cold wet spell we had. Ruddy hot agin today!!
www.cadeauxdelaforge.fr
Gifts and crafts made by us.

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
« Reply #19 on: June 01, 2012, 07:25:01 pm »
Well ours is just looking like brown earth with three sorry looking blackcurrant bushes and three experimental courgettes plonked int the middle of the field.

We had our middle field ploughed over last autumn and haven't really got around to doing anything else.

Polytunnel is looking good though.

We need to do the rabbit fencing in the field before we venture to grow anything.

I was thinking about what I could perhaps start now for winter.
We do the best we can with the information we have

When we know better we do better

deepinthewoods

« Reply #20 on: June 01, 2012, 08:03:54 pm »
all the brassicas sq.

Mel Rice

• Joined Sep 2011
« Reply #21 on: June 05, 2012, 11:02:58 pm »
My vegie patch is fenced only to keep out my chooks....NO wild rabbits round here, I do see the odd hare though.

MAK

• Joined Nov 2011
  • Middle ish of France
    • Cadeaux de La forge
« Reply #22 on: June 06, 2012, 09:30:21 am »
No rabbits here either and our resident mole drowned when we emptied a 1000 litre water tank into his patch during a storm. Mice ( Lerot and Loir) are our pests and I often have patches in lines of seeds thanks to the earthworking.
Veg looks good and my melons have flowers on them.

I am making liquid feed for the toms etc by soaking fossilised manure blocks in buckets of water and then diluting the brown fluid before feeding that to the toms, peppers and anything else I can see.

Weeding today after a night of rain.
www.cadeauxdelaforge.fr

Mel Rice

• Joined Sep 2011
« Reply #23 on: June 18, 2012, 02:01:20 pm »
Just come back from 10 wet days in the UK. The weather here has been quite wet too but the sun inbetween has been hot ...so...the vege patch has grown!!! Ummm I thought i had kept on top of the weeds it looked OK before we left. A couple of days work out there weeding again me thinks!!!!

MAK

• Joined Nov 2011
  • Middle ish of France
    • Cadeaux de La forge
« Reply #24 on: June 18, 2012, 03:52:54 pm »
10 days away Mel - you will have some catching up with the weeds.
We are have just picked carrots, beetroot, a cabbage and our first new potatoes ! A joint of our own pork is roasting away.
I will be digging the garlic up on the 22nd June but had a peek today - looks just like the Toulouse Garlic i bought off the market and planted on Dec 22nd.

Any produce yet ? :innocent:
www.cadeauxdelaforge.fr

Bert

• Joined Jan 2012
  • Isle of Mull
« Reply #25 on: June 19, 2012, 08:09:10 am »
The photos I posted at the start of this thread are so out of date. Everything has grown so much. I've been picking a few turnips, had some baby carrots, strawberry's, spinach, chard, lots of spring onion, salad leaves, radish. not to much longer (hopefully next week) and I will have my first spuds, courgettes, beetroot,shallots peas and broad beans  :thumbsup:   

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #26 on: June 19, 2012, 12:41:47 pm »
 :'(  I feel sooooo inadequate.

Post a piccie, Bert, and I can dream.

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
« Reply #27 on: June 19, 2012, 12:52:39 pm »
few turnips, had some baby carrots, strawberry's, spinach, chard, lots of spring onion, salad leaves, radish. not to much longer (hopefully next week) and I will have my first spuds, courgettes, beetroot,shallots peas and broad beans  :thumbsup:   

Ha!! two can show off on this thread  ;D ;D

We've got docks, thistles, creeping buttercup, nettles and grass plus a couple of empty spaces where the courgettes once were but got eaten by slugs. The transplanted raspberries didn't make the move and the blackcurrant bushes we "liberated"  from a garden centre certainy won't be bearing fruit any time soon.

All in all - a successful haul so far  :-J :-J
« Last Edit: June 19, 2012, 02:46:24 pm by suziequeue »
We do the best we can with the information we have

When we know better we do better

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #28 on: June 19, 2012, 01:40:06 pm »
Ahhhh ..... SQ .... now I feel better.

We could blame the unfavourable growing conditions in Mid Wales.

And yes, positive thinking .... I, too, have managed to grow lots and lots of the same type of valuable flora .... obviously species that do well in our micro-climate.  ::) ;D

Bert

• Joined Jan 2012
  • Isle of Mull
« Reply #29 on: June 20, 2012, 07:14:14 pm »
Here is an up dated photo of my veg garden. Hope you can see a difference. Also a photo of the poly tunnel and one of the cloche .

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS