Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: What do I do with the body?  (Read 13804 times)

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
Re: What do I do with the body?
« Reply #30 on: June 18, 2012, 06:17:32 pm »
I wonder what all the sheep farmers, who lamb a few hundred or thousand ewes on their farm do with their afterbirths....

Most of mine (ewes and goats) will eat it and I leave it in for them to do so. It is full of nutrients and one less thing for me to worry about... in case it comes up on inspection - ALL of mine will eat theirs :innocent: ...

jinglejoys

• Joined Jul 2009
« Reply #31 on: June 18, 2012, 08:05:23 pm »
I'm with you on that one Anke I thought that's what every one did

omnipeasant

• Joined May 2012
  • Llangurig , Mid Wales
« Reply #32 on: June 19, 2012, 08:12:53 pm »
Red Kites and buzzards eat our afterbirths on the hill if the sheep don't. We also allow them to eat carcasses for a sensible period (three days) then all we pick up is wool and bones. These are taken to the incinerator. I would certainly consider burrying a pet goat though!!!  Don't tell DEFRA.

Afterbirths from sheep born inside go to the incinerator along with any dead lambs. Thankfully our dead lamb numbers are few.

Sylvia

• Joined Aug 2009
« Reply #33 on: June 20, 2012, 08:39:54 am »
Cremtor, near Newton Abbot in Devon, charge £10 to dispose of a dead sheep or goat , providing you take it there and nothing at all for dead lambs or goat kids.

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #34 on: June 22, 2012, 11:10:14 pm »
I do know a goat keeper who told me that a dead kid fitted perfectly in her Rayburn.

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #35 on: June 23, 2012, 11:33:54 pm »
I do know a goat keeper who told me that a dead kid fitted perfectly in her Rayburn.
I wouldn't want to stand downwind of her house !

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS