Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: What do I do with the body?  (Read 13806 times)

clydesdaleclopper

• Joined Aug 2009
  • Aberdeenshire
What do I do with the body?
« on: May 14, 2012, 05:44:48 pm »
Our old nanny died today  :'(

Do you know if we can bury her as she was a pet? I have looked at the Animal By-Products (Scotland) Regs but they don't give a definition of pet.
Our holding has Anglo Nubian and British Toggenburg goats, Gotland sheep, Franconian Geese, Blue Swedish ducks, a whole load of mongrel hens and two semi-feral children.

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
Re: What do I do with the body?
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2012, 06:00:58 pm »
I'm sorry  :-*

Strictly speaking you can't - despite the fact that they may well be, agricultural animals don't come into the pet category. But who will know? I would, just as though she were a dog.

Dogwalker

• Joined Nov 2011
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2012, 06:22:33 pm »
A friend of mine had a pet sheep pts by the vet and was told she could bury it, her partner who had to dig the hole thought it would have been better to pay the £15 disposal.
Don't know if Scotland is different to Wales and not sure the vet was right in this case.

wytsend

• Joined Oct 2010
  • Okehampton
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2012, 06:30:33 pm »
Bury her........ carcase collection in Devon is around £50 per carcase !!!!!!!!

Plant a tree over or to the side.... great way to remember old friends,not forgetting trees for the future.

clydesdaleclopper

• Joined Aug 2009
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2012, 06:49:30 pm »
The extra hassle is that we now need to get another goat to keep our remaining lady company. It isn't easy getting goats up here.
Our holding has Anglo Nubian and British Toggenburg goats, Gotland sheep, Franconian Geese, Blue Swedish ducks, a whole load of mongrel hens and two semi-feral children.

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2012, 07:01:01 pm »
Where are you?

clydesdaleclopper

• Joined Aug 2009
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2012, 07:14:22 pm »
Aberdeenshire / Moray border

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2012, 07:16:26 pm »
Our old nanny died today  :'(

Do you know if we can bury her as she was a pet? I have looked at the Animal By-Products (Scotland) Regs but they don't give a definition of pet.

You definitely are not allowed to legally, all wild or farmed animals (including all sheep cattle and goats geese ducks and farmed deer) in non-remote areas (none of Aberdeenshire is classed as remote on the map they publish) must be dealt with in the approved way ie via an approved fallen stock, hunt kennels etc.
The only way they might see it as acceptable i guess is if you had the animal cremated as there would presumably then not be a potential disease risk.

Pets are classified as non farmed species (so including pet horses, dogs, cats etc). Even then the following rules must be followed:
  • burial sites are at least 250m from any well, borehole or spring that supplies drinking water or water for use in a farm dairy
    in England and Wales, burial sites are at least 30m from any other well, borehole or spring, and at least 10m from any field drain or watercourse
    in Scotland, burial sites are at least 50m from any watercourse and at least 10m from any field drain
    there is at least 1m of subsoil below the bottom of any burial pit and 1m of soil to cover the carcasses
    there is no standing water at the bottom of the hole when you first dig it
    you do
not leave pits open or carcasses unburied as dogs, foxes and other scavengers could gain access to them.

chickenfeed

« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2012, 09:54:30 pm »
Bury her........ carcase collection in Devon is around £50 per carcase !!!!!!!!

Plant a tree over or to the side.... great way to remember old friends,not forgetting trees for the future.

rules are there for all of us to abide by and in taking on a animal we accept the rules and the expences incorporated in keeping livestock, the carcase should be collected by the hunt or knackerman.

a tree is a nice way of remembering a loved animal though.

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2012, 10:41:58 pm »
Sorry for your loss, CC.  I paid £18 to have my girl removed and the man was very good.

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2012, 07:26:19 am »
rules are there for all of us to abide by and in taking on a animal we accept the rules and the expences incorporated in keeping livestock, the carcase should be collected by the hunt or knackerman.
Rules are made for the 'big farmers' and rarely fit smallholders' situations accurately.

A good idea to understand why the rule was made, but I was always told 'rules are for the guidance of wise men and the obedience of fools'  ;)

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2012, 07:38:21 am »
Had I been in a position to dig a deep enough hole in such hard land, I'd have loved to have kept ours here. Sadly it was not to be so we had the awful 3 day wait with a beautiful Togg nanny laid in a wheelbarrow, in the garage while the collection people dithered about remembering to get her  :'(  Then they top it with the insult of a £30 fee.
Having had our cat dug up by the fox you would need to make sure you dig very deep to avoid the distress.
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

chickenfeed

« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2012, 07:54:34 am »
Rules are made for the 'big farmers' and rarely fit smallholders' situations accurately.

A good idea to understand why the rule was made, but I was always told 'rules are for the guidance of wise men and the obedience of fools'  ;)

my point is rules change over the years and taking on livestock you know you have to abide by the rules no one likes them we just have to work with them and to say bury a animal against the rules on a open forum is not the way to go imho (sorry but broken rules started the FAM outbreak).

clydesdaleclopper

• Joined Aug 2009
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2012, 08:03:08 am »
She won't be buried - I was wanting to clarify the legal position and as I am not allowed to I shall be calling the knacker man this morning.

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2012, 08:08:47 am »
Good on you CCC :-))) Im so sorry you lost her :-(((

[/quote]Rules are made for the 'big farmers' and rarely fit smallholders' situations accurately.

[/quote]

Theres nothing in the rules that makes them more or less sensible for smallholders, other than the bigger marginal cost, but we all know that's the case when we get the animals. Its quite fair to apply the rules to big and small livestock owners: disease doesnt choose only to target megaholdings, though any outbreak has a far bigger impact if it does happen on a large scale place.

Where it is silly is the fact than in the event of a disease outbreak the first thing the authorities do is order burial on farm - thats where the madness lies.

In any case these arent 'guidance' rules but the law.

Our ram was removed within 4 hours of the vet PTS so it doesnt always take a long time, they have always been here same day for all casualties. Even tho they are coming from over 2 hours aways.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS