Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: What do I do with the body?  (Read 13805 times)

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
Re: What do I do with the body?
« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2012, 08:16:22 am »
I'm sorry, I just re-read my post - I should say it was an exception that Avocet was left here for so long. The male kid we lost and then a ewe last year were all collected same day. I was just trying to say that had we been allowed/able to bury the goats that we consider pets we would have avoided that stress. I am sorry for your loss CCC xx
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

clydesdaleclopper

• Joined Aug 2009
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2012, 08:18:42 am »
L&M who do you use?
Our holding has Anglo Nubian and British Toggenburg goats, Gotland sheep, Franconian Geese, Blue Swedish ducks, a whole load of mongrel hens and two semi-feral children.

countrywoman

• Joined Nov 2011
« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2012, 08:46:03 am »
So sorry to read of the sad sudden loss of your goat.  Then the shock and upset is compounded by uncertainty over rules and regulations - it doesn't help, does it?

One thing I am not clear on: having disposed of the animal by whatever means other than through huntkennels etc, surely you still have to account for the circumstances of death and subsequent removal/burial in the endless defra papertrail?  Otherwise, there is nothing to stop multiple animals entering the food chain without going through the right channels/checks etc with unscrupulous people claiming to have buried them.

There is a very shabby/dodgy farmer near me who to my certain knowledge dumps sheep carcases in a small wood to be scavenged by foxes.  I can only assume their eartags are re-used on other illicitly acquired undeclared sheep or how will the paperwork add up?   

When the system is thrown into the spotlight as it was with F&M and everyone gets more sensitive about which animals came and went, just to say that a goat (or sheep/bullock etc) died and was buried won't be acceptable and could lead to costly consequences.  Better to pay for official collection/incineration than that!

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2012, 10:07:28 am »
L&M who do you use?

I use the National Fallen Stock scheme which for us has been Douglasbrae Knackery in Keith. I like it because once you join (£10+vat when I did it) you set up a direct debit so when an animal needs collecting you just ring them and then you dont even have to be in/watch etc). National falen stock number is 08450 548888

They have also started their own scheme outside the NFS scheme, which is cheaper. For this you can contact them direct on 01542 882728

Brucklay

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Perthshire
    • Brucklay Pygmy Goats
    • Facebook
« Reply #19 on: May 15, 2012, 07:11:51 pm »

Douglasbrae Knackery in Keith.
[/quote]

We used them last year for a ram lamb lost at 3 months - although I was pretty upset through the process they were efficient and respectful and certainly didn't make me feel like a silly woman
Pygmy Goats, Shetland Sheep, Zip & Indie the Border Collies, BeeBee the cat and a wreak of a building to renovate!!

Joseph

• Joined Oct 2011
    • Rosemore
« Reply #20 on: May 16, 2012, 02:58:45 pm »

rules are there for all of us to abide by and in taking on a animal we accept the rules and the expences incorporated in keeping livestock, the carcase should be collected by the hunt or knackerman.

a tree is a nice way of remembering a loved animal though.

Does anyone actually dispose of the afterbirth legally?

Q20: Can afterbirth and/or stillborn animals be buried?
A: No. The routine on-farm burial and burning of afterbirth and stillborn animals etc. Is not permitted.

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #21 on: May 17, 2012, 12:27:47 am »
So what are you supposed to do with it?

jinglejoys

• Joined Jul 2009
« Reply #22 on: May 17, 2012, 12:51:09 am »
The goat or nature usually sorts that out.
   Talking of which when those dogs killed my goats the police told me to leave the carcus for phorensics (which never turned up)...carcus was gone by the next day,which is quicker than  the knackerman  who has taken till the goat nearly walked out by itself! ;)

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #23 on: May 17, 2012, 10:09:24 am »
Puffin 'ate' hers.

JJ - we probably use same knackerman, seeing as we live about 2 miles apart.  Did the dogs come back for the carcus or other predators then? Horrible really - still can't believe the way that was dealt with by the authorities but there you go x
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

Joseph

• Joined Oct 2011
    • Rosemore
« Reply #24 on: May 17, 2012, 02:30:28 pm »
My two ate some of theirs, but some say it is best not to let them eat it. Rumour has it that domestic goats lack certain enzymes.

jinglejoys

• Joined Jul 2009
« Reply #25 on: May 17, 2012, 03:56:28 pm »
The dogs were taken straight to the kennels (until they were returned to their owners which I found out the second time I attended court >:( ) Nature doesn't take long to dispose of a carcus so that it is no longer a desease risk...unlike the government and the knackerman.

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
« Reply #26 on: May 19, 2012, 01:27:42 pm »
The bury/ not bury is an interesting topic. Yes all farmed animals should be collected by a knackerman and disposed of properly. But if you had that animal for 10, 15, 20, even 30 years in the case of some horses- who would say that the animal wasn't a member of your family?

I have a friend who kept a long letter writing debate ongoing with the Scottish animal health section regarding her horse (who was perfectly healthy at the time but was 28 years old). Her point was that she and her sister had owned that animal since they were children, it was a part of their family, and after all you would not expect a member of your family to be collected by a knackerman and thrown onto a truck. They did eventually admit to her (in writing) that if a case like that went to court, where she did bury a 30year old horse, it would be highly unlikely that she would be convicted of anything or even fined. Because what jury in the world would think you had done something wrong by burying a much loved family member on your own property, in a responsible way(ie away from water courses etc).

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #27 on: May 19, 2012, 04:37:56 pm »
Horses are OK as they are not agricultural as long as you follow the rules re: watercourses etc to avoid pollution. So the council would certainly lose the case as long as the rules were followed.
The issue here for OP is that it was a goat and therefore the full weight of the no burying rules applies (to all sheep goats and cows geese and ducks without exception)

McRennet

• Joined Mar 2011
« Reply #28 on: June 17, 2012, 09:59:46 pm »
I realise I'm coming into this very late on but as it was our first year kidding this year as a business I contacted the the chap who removes the whey from the dairy department and the meat and bones from the butchery department.

He was really helpful and gave us a small wheelie bin on loan in case we lost any kids or for afterbirth. We got 95% of the herd kidded (all ate the afterbirth before we had a chance to remove it!) and then the last sodding 2 left the afterbirth!!

It has cost us £20 to get it collected however we now have a paper trail and it was kept in the bin which meant that no vermin/scavengers could get to it.

In my mind, although expensive, when we next get our visit it is one less thing that animal health can pick us up on. Anything that we can do to be professional and reassure them results in a more peaceful relationship all round. That's worth £20 in my book.

:wave:

jinglejoys

• Joined Jul 2009
« Reply #29 on: June 18, 2012, 07:39:22 am »
Last time I connected the local hunt about removing a goat (note LAST time!) they quoted £40!!!! :o that when the live goat would only fetch about £30 ::)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS