Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Other Animals  (Read 9064 times)

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
Re: Other Animals
« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2012, 10:38:00 am »
A friend of my Mum asked me when i was four what I wanted to be when I grew up - my answer?  A farmer's wife?  Not an accountant, not a teacher, not even a mother - a farmer's wife.  When asked why, I replied 'so I can have lots of ammamils, 'cos my Mum won't let me have a horse'  To this day I have always wanted one, never seemed to have the time and the money together, and now my doctors tell me not to go near horses because of my osteoporosis.  But I do visit Ellie and cuddle her Highlands, and my other pal, Fiona, and cuddle her racing bred big horses, I just can't ride them.  One day maybe I'll have one of my own .............................
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2012, 11:33:03 am »
I would love a horse.  I did have one in my early 30's but it was kept at full livery so never actually looked after it.
Now that I have the time, and the stable, I would love to have one but I'm not flexible enough to ride these days and can't justify just keeping it as a pet.
Sally
So get a one that'll cart water and feed up the road to the pigs for you!   ;D
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2012, 11:37:10 am »
Oh Sally, don't tempt me. I don't have a lot of will power.  Having said that your suggestion is a good one.

Hmmm, how do I break this to the OH?

Sally
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #18 on: May 12, 2012, 12:05:32 pm »
Hmmm, how do I break this to the OH?
Simple - tell him you've realised that you can do without spending that money on the quad, and furthermore your solution generates excellent compost for rhubarb, roses...  :D
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

NormandyMary

• Joined Apr 2011
« Reply #19 on: May 12, 2012, 03:17:36 pm »
Before we got our boys, we were seriously considering getting a donkey as the grandchildren would have loved it us much as us. However, when we realised that they can live up to the age of 40, we decided it wouldnt be fair on anyone after we had "gone upstairs" to try and find it a home. So we decided instead to get pygmy goats, hence " the boys".We made the right decision, they are a pure delight. We are not short of donkey company though as our neighbour has 2, the female lives in an adjoining field, so gets regular apples and carrots from us. We also saw her give birth a few years ago, it was pure magic!

Daisy

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Near Earlston Scottish Borders
« Reply #20 on: May 12, 2012, 05:47:07 pm »
Sally I'm sure you could improve your flexability, Tai-chi, yoga and other things could help - life is too short if you really want a horse get one

I know to my cost how you should not put your life on hold, I've missed out on so much because I was too scared or waiting til the children were grown up, now I feel it's passed me by. So go for it don't end up miserable like me.

Oh and to get back to the title of this thread I'd like a Reindeer  ;D

mcginty

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Tyrone, N.I.
« Reply #21 on: May 12, 2012, 11:34:47 pm »
Got a donkey a few weeks past, we call it Pepplies ,cute and loveable.
Not sure what the neighbours think of the early  wake up calls.
If she lives to 40 we will have long gone upstairs,
We have animal loving of spring who will look after her or find a home.
That's the way the cookie crumbles.

Sylvia

• Joined Aug 2009
« Reply #22 on: May 13, 2012, 07:28:55 am »
I'm half afraid to say this but a donkey can die of loneliness and needs a companion, ideally another donkey. Your local donkey sanctuary may be able to provide one :) Oh, by the way if anyone is inundated by dragons, I would love one :)

Mammyshaz

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Durham
« Reply #23 on: May 13, 2012, 07:36:12 am »
Would oh so love my own alpaca, so cute looking and all the fleece to make my own teddybears  :love:

Hopefully by the time I manage to have a smallholding there will be better vaccines, testing, etc for TB then a little herd can live with me     :love:  :llama:     

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #24 on: May 13, 2012, 08:16:27 am »
A dragon sounds good too  ;D

But failing that  :D what I actually want is a Dales pony (and maybe a Fell for a friend) - this is Sally's fault, meeting hers has cemented this  ;D

Also, I would like to fly a hawk. It would have to be one of the bigger ones, the business of keeping them at hunting weight worries me. A goshawk would be good  ;D

Daisy

• Joined Mar 2010
« Reply #25 on: May 13, 2012, 09:38:20 am »
Jaykay here you are http://www.dalespony.org/Sales-List.html  ;D ;D

and a little Dales pony fix for you, my three Dales

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #26 on: May 13, 2012, 09:41:37 am »
Ohhhhhhh  ;D
Daisy, I'm not at all sure that's helpful  :D

Daisy

• Joined Mar 2010
« Reply #27 on: May 13, 2012, 10:01:00 am »
I'm always willing to help Jaykay   

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS