Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Asparagus beds  (Read 5957 times)

Sudanpan

• Joined Jan 2009
  • West Cornwall
    • Movement is Life
Asparagus beds
« on: May 11, 2012, 07:15:20 pm »
We are new to this asparagus bed malarky - we planted year old crowns this March and have wached the initial shoots appearing and heading for the sky  ;D We have been very good and no shoots have been tested  :thumbsup:
So - how does everybody keep their asparagus beds weed free given that you can't disturb the soil in case you damage the root systems.....
Thanks in advance for any tips
Tish

The Chicken Lady

• Joined Mar 2008
  • Cheshire
Re: Asparagus beds
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2012, 09:09:38 pm »
I to have a new asparagus bed and at the moment I just weed by hand.
Karen

Bert

• Joined Jan 2012
  • Isle of Mull
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2012, 07:20:54 am »
I also will be getting a new Asparagus bed within the next week (crowns on order). I haven't got any idea what to do with it  ??? how far apart do I plant ? what type of soil do they like ? how many years before I can harvest? What do I do with the shoots that do come up that I can't pick,? just leave them to die back?  I could look in my book but advice from you that have been there and done that is better. Like Sudanpan said what about weeding?

plt102

• Joined Jan 2011
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2012, 10:27:26 am »
Our crowns are in their 3rd year. They made lots of ferny leaves last year which just died back and we cleared them away and have started producing proper spears this year. Dont be too terrified of their roots etc though. My chickens recently deceided to eat the spears and half dig them up. After getting them settled in again they still seem to be producing well and dont look any worse for wear. I might give them one more season to make sure they are really ok before picking though.

Bramblecot

• Joined Jul 2008
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2012, 01:29:11 pm »
The chickens  :chook: seem to get most of our spears these days  :( :(.  Just leave the ferns to die down and mulch, mulch , mulch. :thumbsup:

Possum

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Somerset
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2012, 10:44:13 am »
I agree with Bramblecot. As much mulch as possible once you have cut back the yellow ferns at the end of the year. Also, in the spring, a hefty sprinkling of salt. I know it sounds odd, but asparagus was originally a maritime plant and so tolerates salt very well. Weeds, on the other hand, do not like salt and nor do slugs. ;D ;D

Before you plant, make sure that every last bit of perennial weed has been removed. It is impossible to get rid of couch grass or bindweed once the asparagus has been planted. Also, you must plant the crowns in light, really well drained soil. If you have soggy or waterlogged land the asparagus will just rot. Really sad to see and also very expensive!

zelsbells

• Joined Oct 2012
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2012, 09:36:33 am »
Hi, can you tell me what rate of application of salt per square meter you use on your asparagus bed please

FiB

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Bala, North Wales
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2012, 09:58:02 am »
I agree with Bramblecot. As much mulch as possible once you have cut back the yellow ferns at the end of the year. Also, in the spring, a hefty sprinkling of salt. I know it sounds odd, but asparagus was originally a maritime plant and so tolerates salt very well. Weeds, on the other hand, do not like salt and nor do slugs. ;D ;D

Before you plant, make sure that every last bit of perennial weed has been removed. It is impossible to get rid of couch grass or bindweed once the asparagus has been planted. Also, you must plant the crowns in light, really well drained soil. If you have soggy or waterlogged land the asparagus will just rot. Really sad to see and also very expensive!
Yep - second that - between our heavy soil and the chickens (getting under the protective netting I might add) ours have not survived past first year. Boo, Quite sore about £20 wasted but more GUTTED because I love asparagus.  Might try to make a raised bed ood luck with yours, F xx

Possum

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Somerset
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2012, 07:59:42 pm »
I'm afraid that my salt application is not very scientific. I can only describe it as a generous sprinkling. The soil looks as if it has had a light dusting of snow, but it's not a complete white-out.

I usually do it just as the spears start breaking through in the spring. I sometimes do a second application after 3 or 4 weeks if the slugs are still a problem. It's always worked really well and I usually have more asparagus than I know what to do with. :yum:

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2012, 09:50:49 pm »
I quite fancy having an asparagus bed.  I have a raised bed that would be ideal but am worried about perennial weeds as they creep in from elsewhere.  Short of digging up the whole garden, it's impossible to get rid of them.

Plantoid

• Joined May 2011
  • Yorkshireman on a hill in wet South Wales
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2012, 12:49:30 am »
I'm afraid that my salt application is not very scientific. I can only describe it as a generous sprinkling. The soil looks as if it has had a light dusting of snow, but it's not a complete white-out.

I usually do it just as the spears start breaking through in the spring. I sometimes do a second application after 3 or 4 weeks if the slugs are still a problem. It's always worked really well and I usually have more asparagus than I know what to do with. :yum:

The salt is a bit more scientific than you first thought . Lots of weeds detest salt in their soil so die off and many seeds will not germinate in it . So long as it is not too heavy a dressing the asparagus is unaffected.
International playboy & liar .
Man of the world not a country

Sylvia

• Joined Aug 2009
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2012, 07:40:15 am »
Or, if you can get it, a mulch of seaweed in winter.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS