Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Has everyone finished for the year  (Read 12754 times)

MAK

• Joined Nov 2011
  • Middle ish of France
    • Cadeaux de La forge
Re: Has everyone finished for the year
« Reply #45 on: November 06, 2012, 04:41:11 pm »
Bad news for the farmer of course and I hope that those employed get paid regardless of them being able to work because of the wet and mud. 
All this must have a serious economic consequence for farmers and of course consumers. I know our potatoes harvest was not what we had hoped for because of dry weather and small spuds. But if the yield per meter or acre is down because of drought or spuds stuck in the ground then it must be very bad news for someone who has so much invested in a potatoe crop. Difficult times but is demonstrates how fragile food production can be - even in Europe.
www.cadeauxdelaforge.fr
Gifts and crafts made by us.

smallacre

• Joined Dec 2009
  • Dorchester
« Reply #46 on: November 06, 2012, 05:40:34 pm »
 Well took your advice and got our last lot of spuds in today bit of a cold start to the day but by mid morning it was beautiful. I must say as it was our first time with potatoes I am very pleased with the results, the last couple of years we have run our weaners on this piece of ground so that may have had some benefits, we decided not to have any pigs this year one can only eat so much pork.
We put in 2 types of potatoes they went into the ground around 1st August  it was a bit late as we had a bit of water laying in the field all in all I am pleased
Thanks to all. Now what’s next.

Odin

• Joined Oct 2011
  • Huddersfield
« Reply #47 on: November 06, 2012, 06:02:35 pm »
Royal 'We' ( Farmer mate ) has two of them three wheelers, good bits of kit. Intended to use them the same as you bringing in the spuds but it has not happened with the wet ground, four wheel drive tractor only.

A man who cannot till the soil cannot till his own soul !
A son of the soil .

MAK

• Joined Nov 2011
  • Middle ish of France
    • Cadeaux de La forge
« Reply #48 on: November 06, 2012, 08:53:27 pm »
Smallacre - I luv the kit. Can you tell us more about the three wheeler please?
not a bad harvest considering a late plant  :wave:
www.cadeauxdelaforge.fr

deepinthewoods

« Reply #49 on: November 06, 2012, 09:10:57 pm »
i thought the same mak, they did a late planting of a few fields near me, it was lifted about 2 weeks ago now. maybe points to a trend of trying to plant after blight has hit?

smallacre

• Joined Dec 2009
  • Dorchester
« Reply #50 on: November 06, 2012, 10:38:37 pm »
 Hi Mak re the three wheeled truck, they were made by a Martin Bonser 1950-60 and were fitted with a  Villiers MK40 side valve 4 stroke, Carbs used V type and Zenith 24T2, 398cc They have a tipping body 3 forward and 1 reverse gears. Ours are kick start like a scooter witch makes them easy to start.
They carry a ton quite happily. We now have a couple of them they were in a very poor state they are very reliable and very simple to maintain. They do come up on the well know auction site ranging from 200 for a poor one to 800 or 900 pounds.
There are modern versions now made by PRL Bonsar Trucks We like them as they don’t chew up the ground during the winter months we also have a couple of David Browns a restored 885 and an 880 waiting to be restored.

MAK

• Joined Nov 2011
  • Middle ish of France
    • Cadeaux de La forge
« Reply #51 on: November 07, 2012, 07:24:11 am »
Thanks Smallacre - never seen these before and how interesting - much better than these new quad things and a good pulling load too. Think I'll look them up.
www.cadeauxdelaforge.fr

smallacre

• Joined Dec 2009
  • Dorchester
« Reply #52 on: November 07, 2012, 05:24:15 pm »
Hi first time with potatoes since I was a child, I need a little advice from the experienced ones. We are laying the potatoes on  mesh panels so they get air round them how long does one think they should stay like this before bagging them I assume its just to dry any earth on them.
Thanks

MAK

• Joined Nov 2011
  • Middle ish of France
    • Cadeaux de La forge
« Reply #53 on: November 07, 2012, 05:39:14 pm »
Not sure I can help. We bung them in the cellar on the floor.
That said we do inspect them all before hand and we have now used those that were a bit scratched or had been nibbled by something.
Those on the cellar floor are covered with a couple of cotton sheets ( not sure why as our neighbours do not cover theirs). We can inspect the pile whenever we get potatoes and chuck out any villians. I guess if you put dry spuds in a bag you have to be pretty sure that they are all 100% or use them quickly - you know the saying " it takes one rotten spud in a sack" or was it apple in a barrel ? 
www.cadeauxdelaforge.fr

smallacre

• Joined Dec 2009
  • Dorchester
« Reply #54 on: November 07, 2012, 06:05:39 pm »
Thanks Mak your right it takes one rotten spud in a sack, I have just realised we you are weve just been down past your way we visited some friend in a little village by Albi we went down via the N20 stayed around Gruissan for 3 weeks then returned up to Clermont-Ferrand across to Lyon for a week then home via Calais, lovely country been touring it every year for about 20 odd years.
all the best

Odin

• Joined Oct 2011
  • Huddersfield
« Reply #55 on: November 07, 2012, 07:17:51 pm »
Cannot tell from your photo but we keep the light from them, in the dark with paper a sack over the top to help draw the moisture of. Keep some soil on as it is a preservative, helps to keep the spud. If washed, they will soon grow spours,I reckon washed potatoes as bought in bags must have a preservative on them ? Once I am happy with the dried spuds I then bag them in to 10/12 kg paper sacks, throw a bit of straw in to help draw any moisture and keep them in a cool place in wooden boxes built on wooden pallets. Only thing to watch for then is mice in the winter when they come in-doors.
Would like to ask you some questions on that very nice looking DB885 'Bottle-Opener' that you have parked in that shed. But I think it would be better on the Equipment page.
A man who cannot till the soil cannot till his own soul !
A son of the soil .

smallacre

• Joined Dec 2009
  • Dorchester
« Reply #56 on: November 07, 2012, 07:52:51 pm »
Thanks odin very useful re the mice I have just got a couple of little kittens for the farm they can earn there keep and live in the barn with the spud.
Ask away regarding the DB885 on the equipment page by the way it a none bottle opener one. If i cant answer your questions one of my boys can they restored it . As it is getting a bit colder now they are now working on fitting a cab on it.
I will keep an eye out for your equipment posting.

Plantoid

• Joined May 2011
  • Yorkshireman on a hill in wet South Wales
« Reply #57 on: November 08, 2012, 12:31:05 am »
Put your toms in a drawer along with an over ripe banana and they will turn red or put a yellow banana in and it will take a bit longer. They ripen due to the gas given off by bananass and the bananas ripen from the gas given off from the toms .

Please be warned - this really only works if you have a drawer!  :-J

Or else - somebody hasn't told my tomatoes that this is supposed to work... I've been trying it for years (no, not with the same tomatoes over several years!  ;D ), and since I don't have a drawer, I put them into a closed polythene bag. Either this doesn't work, or I'm just too impatient...

Actually, I also read some years ago that just the banana skins have the same effect. (I think I read that in Russia they do this, because otherwise they'll never get their tomatoes ripe in some areas...) Which is why my tomato plants are always "decorated" with banana skins that are rapidly turning black!
Try a lidded carboard box infuture instead of a non breathable poly bag . wrappin g them in newspaper also works apparently and putting them some where slightly warm and dark .. airing cupboards are most likely too warm
International playboy & liar .
Man of the world not a country

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS