Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Animal feed storage shed can or can,t??  (Read 11129 times)

peartreewoodlandsmallholding

• Joined Jan 2012
  • staffordshire
Animal feed storage shed can or can,t??
« on: May 10, 2012, 09:06:11 pm »
Hi, we have recently purchased a 2 acre field which is 5 miles away from our home, we are going to keep pigs and a few sheep, chickens and ducks etc but what i wanted to know is I know the pigs and other animals can have housing without planning etc but what are the rules/regs on having somewhere to store there feed and equiptment for there management and wellbeing can i put a small shed on there that would be used to store the feed or would i need planning permission, just wondered how anyone else manages to store food etc if they dont live on there land. only we have a small house and nowhere to store feed at home. any advice would be greatly appreciated thanks, Chris :D

bigchicken

• Joined Nov 2008
  • Fife Scotland
Re: Animal feed storage shed can or can,t??
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2012, 09:40:58 pm »
Planning permission for a hut don't think so, I have several huts and don't need any permission
Shetland sheep, Castlemilk Moorits sheep, Hebridean sheep, Scots Grey Bantams, Scots Dumpy Bantams. Shetland Ducks.

jacob and Georgina

• Joined May 2010
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2012, 09:49:58 pm »
you will not need permission for anything which is a temporary structure anyway so a shed comes under this bracket, but a shed would be to small i would have thought even if it was permenent to need planning permission

Small Farmer

• Joined Jan 2012
  • Bedfordshire
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2012, 10:53:21 pm »
The proliferation of field shelters around here - most of which don't move - has attracted the interest of the planners who are wanting planning applications.  Agricultural planning rules apply for holdings over 5ha but from memory there's a prohibition on doing anything on land under 1ha

However, planning permission is a pain to get: councils are slow and reluctant and expensive and crap.  If you put up a shed and they ask you to apply for retrospective planning approval then you're no worse off.  JFDI
Being certain just means you haven't got all the facts

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2012, 10:06:27 am »
Stick a shed up in an unobstrusive corner but be warned if its anything like round here the local thieving bar stewards will be into it the first night you leave it and clean it out! so don't leave anything in it you wouldn't want stolen eg tools, horse rugs etc. Make it as secure as you can.
Mandy  :pig:

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
  • nr Lauder, Scottish Borders
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2012, 10:41:09 am »
Just do it.  Plant a some vegetation around it that won't harm your animals (willow grows quickly) and stick some turf on the roof (your ducks will like that).  Council will probably give it listed building status if they can find it  :D
registered soay, castlemilk moorit  and north ronaldsay sheep, pygmy goats, steinbacher geese, muscovy ducks, various hens, lots of visiting mallards, a naughty border collie, a puss and a couple of guinea pigs

Bratton Pig

• Joined Feb 2011
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2012, 02:34:06 pm »
we used metal food bins, they are heavy esp. with feed in. can hold a lot of food, they can be locked, and are rodent proof.you could also store other small items in them.  but will need protection from rain, we are selling ours, can give you info if interested. good luck!

manian

• Joined Sep 2010
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2012, 04:42:00 pm »
if you have animals, and 'workers' then you need somewhere for them to have a break!! :eyelashes:
so a shed could be used for that (they will usually allow it ) ;)

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2012, 04:46:26 pm »
good point manian. the rules are quite specific about allowing that, provided theres no element of living infrastructure in it.

clydesdaleclopper

• Joined Aug 2009
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2012, 08:55:12 pm »
Agricultural planning rules apply for holdings over 5ha but from memory there's a prohibition on doing anything on land under 1ha

The rules are different for Scotland though - there is no 5ha requirement.
Our holding has Anglo Nubian and British Toggenburg goats, Gotland sheep, Franconian Geese, Blue Swedish ducks, a whole load of mongrel hens and two semi-feral children.

bazzais

• Joined Jan 2010
    • Allt Y Coed Farm and Campsite
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2012, 11:23:47 pm »
Planning rules are pretty much specific to your council rather than your country.  I'd never be allowed to put a shed up in any of my fields as it would have to be attached to the floor to stop it blowing away.

Buy an old horsebox or trailer and park it up - they cant do anything - unless it starts to look like a dump.

I'd also explain that its a 'small implement storage shed' rather than for animal foods.

Red

• Joined Mar 2011
  • North Yorkshire
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2012, 09:04:43 pm »
Under my local council we don't need planning permission for field shelters if we are a registered small holding but we did need to apply for 'permitted development' in which they have 28 days to turn the application around in but the PD planning has now changed - just look on your local planning portal and it should advise you, its easier not to get on the wrong side of the planners  :o
Red

Sylvia

• Joined Aug 2009
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2012, 08:11:06 am »
I was given an old caravan, water tight and big enough to store a good few bales of hay and straw and my feed bins.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS