Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Newbie in NW Leicestershire looking for advice  (Read 6966 times)

Cushy

• Joined Apr 2009
Newbie in NW Leicestershire looking for advice
« on: April 14, 2009, 07:25:21 pm »
Hi, i have 4 acres of land that is right now an agricultural field that has been mostly grassed so I can keep my horses here (fighting to get change of use) but I want to set up as a small holding. If anyone can advise where to start i'd appreciate it. I expect the council will object but need advice on what to do and how to go about it.

thanks

gavo

• Joined Aug 2008
  • Belcoo, Enniskillen, N.Ireland
  • Crazy Pig Lover
Re: Newbie in NW Leicestershire looking for advice
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2009, 10:44:14 pm »
Hello,

You could try getting in touch with New Landowner for advice (www.newlandowner.co.uk).

Cheers

Gavin

Cushy

• Joined Apr 2009
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2009, 10:59:21 pm »
thanks will do. :)

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2009, 11:54:39 pm »
If it's already got agricultural use why do you need to change it?  If you want to build on it you need to have proof that you need to live on the acreage to tend to the animals
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2009, 08:52:04 am »
Is there any definition in planning terms re smallholding? A smallholding is essentially just a small (in our case, very small) farm. If it is agricultural land, you will need to get a County Parish Holding number from the Rural Payments Agency if it doesn't already have one and a flock / herd number from Animal Health if you are going to keep livestock other than poultry.

Cushy

• Joined Apr 2009
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2009, 11:48:00 am »
Thanks all, the field is currently an agricultural field but as I am having difficulties with planning permissin for horses to graze I had an enforcement officer round yesterday, she took offence to me fencing off an area of the field (using stock fencing) to grow vegetables. I would have thought this was perfectly ok???

I am planning on keeping chickens and maybe getting a pig or 2 as we have an old victorian pig sty and it seems a shame to waste it. I am now really nervous about falling fowl of planners. If I get a smallholders number do you think this will stand me in good stead with planners?

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2009, 01:39:31 pm »
I still don't understand why you need planning permission to have horses on an agricultural field - the couple who bought my house in Aberdeenshire are coming to visit me this afternoon so I'll ask them. I gave them my croft number with the house and the 10 acres and barn, and they have 4 horses in those fields.  I'm sure they didn't need permission especially as planners have been there because they're building a new barn and an extension to the house!
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Cushy

• Joined Apr 2009
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2009, 02:10:12 pm »
apparently to change from an arable field to grazing land requires change of use..hence planning. I must admit I was really surprised but I've checked it out and it is the case. I bought the land off the local farmer, it was the bottom end of his field so there is no small holding number or anything. :(

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2009, 09:06:00 am »
Sorry, the change you are looking for is from agricultural land to equestrian which does need change of use. It's got nothing to do with arable or grazing - it's what animal you are grazing that is the difference. If they were working horses for farm use, you'd be fine. Looking at some of the "horsiculture" that goes on and the mess the holdings get in, I'm not surprsed the planners get agitated. I'm sure some horseowners do manage their grazing well, but a hell of a lot don't - docks, thistles, broken down fences and field shelters, RAGWORT!

Sorry, rant over.

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2009, 09:36:47 am »
The victorian pig sty will be great if its clean and dry  and has unlimited access to some grazing. 

Cushy

• Joined Apr 2009
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2009, 05:52:11 pm »
I like to think i'm a responsible horse owner..I certainly spend many many hours managing the quality of the paddocks not to mention lots of money as I don't have my own equipment.

The pig sty is lovely, very warm and dry and it's just a short walk across the drive to the paddocks so lots of room for piggies to enjoy. Hopefully we can get a small holders number and we'll get to use it soon ..  ;D

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2009, 05:56:52 pm »
I spoke to my friends who have horses and they said that as soon as planning or any other government agency are advised of horses they immediately look for ways to extract more money.  They are about to build a "garage, dry store, and children's indoor play area"  Hmm, bet it won't stay that for long! ;)

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2009, 07:51:21 pm »
My chum, Carol, is setting up a "flying flock" to help horseowners manage their grassland. She'll take her sheep there for a few weeks to tight graze weeds and clean up the ground than take them off again. I hope it works - seems like a good idea.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2009, 09:35:14 pm »
Ah yes, see horses, see pound signs - bet that one is big business soon - now that's what I call initiative!

Cushy

• Joined Apr 2009
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2009, 10:49:28 am »
I know exactly what you mean..apparently everyone who owns a horse must be loaded ..mustn't they?

Well, I've just applied for my small holders number so that's one step closer and maybe I'll get my own little flock now. I'm definately going to get a few pigs..just not sure what. Any ideas anyone for a total novice? any good books I could get or courses before we take the plunge?

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS