Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Newbie in NW Leicestershire looking for advice  (Read 6993 times)

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
Re: Newbie in NW Leicestershire looking for advice
« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2009, 12:01:48 pm »
Cushy everyone will have their own ideas on which pigs.  If you are going for one of the rare breeds any is suitable.  Its a matter of choice.  What is local and available.  Beyond that - my own preference is for GOS, although I am passionate about tamworths, I am too old to contemplate fixing wheels and an engine to the zimmer frame in order to keep up with them.  Gossies are easy to handle, gentle and good meat pigs if you dont overfeed them.  Whatever you choose best of luck, and hope you will enjoy them as much as the rest of us on here do.

kp

• Joined Mar 2009
  • near whitby noth yorkshire
Re: Newbie in NW Leicestershire looking for advice
« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2009, 10:09:27 pm »
I've had my pigs five weeks now and loving every minute of it, they are oxford sandy and blacks which are supposed to be a good beginners pig and I've had no bother with them (yet) I also thought about going on a pig course but changed my mind, I've brought two boys up without going on a child rearing course so I thought I could manage two pigs, 'Starting with pigs' is a good book and I'm sure there's many others, the pig section on this forum is fantastic. Don't let things put you off just go for it and enjoy.

Karen

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS