Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: chicken fencing  (Read 2052 times)

jacob and Georgina

• Joined May 2010
chicken fencing
« on: April 29, 2012, 08:56:47 am »
when we get our new chickens to add to our flock they will be completely free to range around our 10 acres of pasture however i want to fence off the small area around the house just in case i need to keep them a bit closer to home for whatever reason and i thought if i left them in this fenced off area till mid day then they would be More tempted to lay in their house and not everywhere else!

However i have used poultry netting before but am not all that keen on it as i find it very hard to get tight and just occasionally our sheep try to jump through it and this makes a right mess of it!

anyway my question was can chickens get through stock fencing? i thought of using stock fence with two strands of wire along the top to stop them jumping over! would this work? would be welcome to any other suggestions

valandgeorge

• Joined Apr 2012
Re: chicken fencing
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2012, 09:08:58 am »
Our chickens made it over a 6ft mesh fencing even with one wing clipped. Which resulted in a who load of replanting of the veggie patch  :'(

hughesy

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Anglesey
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2012, 09:15:06 am »
That's an expensive solution if it's just for the chickens. OK if it's going to be containing other livestock as well. Why not get yourself a pile of second hand heras type fence panels like you see round building sites?  You can make up a pen whatever size you want, where you want, then move it whenever you want. Don't use the block feet that come with the panels just invert them so there's no gap at the bottom and tie them together using cable ties or old bale twine. Ours get let out at about 6.30 in the morning and it's very rare to find them laying anywhere except in their shed even though they have eight acres to roam about.

Bramblecot

• Joined Jul 2008
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2012, 11:57:18 am »
My ex batts. go straight through standard stock fencing and fly over 6ft fence panels - but I have not clipped their wings.  They also sometimes choose to roost in trees especially in good weather.  I hope you do not have a fox problem.  Once they find you, you will be plagued at all times of day.  Please do not think foxes only attack at night.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS