Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Hi every body Goose question  (Read 1910 times)

john2708

• Joined Jan 2011
Hi every body Goose question
« on: April 27, 2012, 07:50:27 pm »
I have not posted in a long while but have a goose related question some of my geese escaped a few years ago on to the river that runs through our paddock they escaped when it flooded well I cought a few of them today and was wonder how long I should keep them pened up for before I let them out in to the main paddock againe
 :thumbsup:

tazbabe

• Joined Aug 2010
  • ayrshire
Re: Hi every body Goose question
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2012, 06:16:04 am »
i'm not really ssure, recently i have added to my wee flock twice, each time i have put them into the house at dusk, then just let them free on the first morning, and have not really had any troubles gettting them in. in my limited experience, the gees seem to have more sense than hens that way!
you may light another's candle from your own without loss

hughesy

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Anglesey
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2012, 05:30:06 pm »
The first week we had ours they needed driving back to their house at bedtime. Since then they go on their own.

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
  • nr Lauder, Scottish Borders
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2012, 09:19:17 pm »
Ours run around all over the place and swim up and down the river and via it onto our neighbours land - they know where their feeding stations are on our own land and always come back, we never shut them in at night and it hasn't been a problem (so far).  Can't they be allowed to return of their own free will - if they know where there are brown bread treats at tea time every couple of days they may never want to leave.   ;)
registered soay, castlemilk moorit  and north ronaldsay sheep, pygmy goats, steinbacher geese, muscovy ducks, various hens, lots of visiting mallards, a naughty border collie, a puss and a couple of guinea pigs

john2708

• Joined Jan 2011
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2012, 10:11:25 pm »
no i cant let them roam as i have mardy neighbours one guy who shoots any thing that moves on his pristine lawns and my other neighbour lets his english bull terrier on any water fowl that goes on to his land so i have to make sure all my land is properly fenced off at the moment it is they only escaped beacuse aof a bad storm we had they are currently in a pen seem happie enough for know

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS