Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: How bad do I feel :(  (Read 4101 times)

dixie

• Joined Mar 2009
How bad do I feel :(
« on: April 27, 2012, 02:09:54 pm »
Came home yesterday to find the hay rack feeder in the field had blown over ( really strong winds, it's never happened before) I decided to leave it as it was still windy, went out this morning, picked it up to find a dead hen and an injured one, think its got a damaged wing and is wonky, poor thing was trapped there all night, wish I'd gone in yesterday  :(

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
Re: How bad do I feel :(
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2012, 02:12:53 pm »
Sorry dixie, but you werent to know. Hope it recovers.  :bouquet:

Fowlman

• Joined Apr 2012
  • Wiltshire
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2012, 02:16:38 pm »
One of those things you werent to know, i'm sure we have all done similar things in the past.
Tucked away on the downs in wiltshire.

dixie

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2012, 02:19:48 pm »
Similar thing happened to a lamb 2 years ago, and I washing machined a kitten, I'm never going to heaven  am i ::)

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2012, 03:02:44 pm »
Dixie,
How did you manage to wash a kitten in the machine?

Sally
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

dixie

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2012, 04:00:26 pm »
It was a few years ago, our cat had kittens and we kept them in the utility room until they were ready for new homes, I loaded some sheets into the washing machine and the kittens kept pouncing and hanging on, i pulled them off and quickly the door, did a head count, convinced they were all there and did the washing, i was horrified when I unloaded and found the kitten, it really upset me, I couldn't eat or sleep for days  :(

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2012, 05:16:04 pm »
Thats awful. I d have nightmares.  :o

Last year we hatched a lot of quail. The chicks are so tiny and very fast. My hubbie fed and watered them one evening and returned to the house. Daughter went to have a look at them and couldnt see one of the white ones ....she only had 3 white and she is eagle eyed and spots everything. She said she heard what she thought was distressed cheeping and couldnt see where it was coming from. Lifted the water hopper and trapped underneath was the quail! How lucky she went out.   Men  ::)

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
  • nr Lauder, Scottish Borders
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2012, 07:28:04 pm »
Hi Dixie, sods law really, but if she doesn't look in any pain just leave her.  It may get better on its own of course.  She may be a bit put out after all she has had a shock which could go either way really.  I'd be inclined to give her a bit of TLC and play it by ear.  A nice bowl of well buttered cous cous is good at mending  ;)
registered soay, castlemilk moorit  and north ronaldsay sheep, pygmy goats, steinbacher geese, muscovy ducks, various hens, lots of visiting mallards, a naughty border collie, a puss and a couple of guinea pigs

Sylvia

• Joined Aug 2009
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2012, 08:19:53 am »
In the hills, I did exactly the same thing last summer, only didn't find the poor chick until next day :'( As my Dad used to say, if foresight were as good as hindsight the world would be a happy place.

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2012, 09:21:54 am »

Dixie - don't beat yourself up. When our turkey shed blew over in the storm just before Christmas, I immediately righted it again, and went looking for materials to tie it down properly. By the time I got back, it had blown over for a second time, trapping a turkey underneath (thankfully not hurt), and completely disintegrating in the process.

All I'm trying to say is what would have been the right action for you also turned out to be the wrong action for me, and how are we to know that at the time of the actual incident? Hope the injured hen is doing ok though  ???.
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

dixie

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2012, 03:24:28 pm »
Thanks all, good news the hen is on the mend, still wonky and shuffling but is eating and drinking and much brighter, so hopefully she'll make it :thumbsup:

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
  • nr Lauder, Scottish Borders
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2012, 09:07:16 pm »
Good! .... and so will you  :-*
registered soay, castlemilk moorit  and north ronaldsay sheep, pygmy goats, steinbacher geese, muscovy ducks, various hens, lots of visiting mallards, a naughty border collie, a puss and a couple of guinea pigs

Pedwardine

• Joined Feb 2012
  • South Lincolnshire
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2012, 11:30:43 pm »
We've got several small coops for our chooks. I can count on one hand only, but still feel bad being able to do that, over the years the amount of times myself or OH has forgotten to open up one of them and they've been stuck in ALL day. Once, for one coop, it was a really HOT day. Gawd we felt awful. We just cock up sometimes. I've had a hen stuck under a bucket most of the day before now too. But 99% of the time we all give our best degree of care and that's all we can do. Humans unfortunately error from time to time. Self beating doesn't make a difference to what happened. Just got to try to avoid doing the same again.

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2012, 11:53:41 pm »
Things like this happen to all of us, as you can see.

One windy day, the lid blew off the chicken run, and it was sods law one of the bantams must have been walking past or sitting alongside, and it fell on her and trapped her.  I found her dead that night.  Then I have had numerous hens tip buckets up on themselves.  Have found them dripping in sweat,but one was not furtunate and suffocated before I found her.  Then I had one climb in a horse feed sack, which was empty, and get trapped.  Think she was there a coupld of very hot days until I saw the sack moving .....she jumped out and ran for a drink!!

Bramblecot

• Joined Jul 2008
« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2012, 12:06:44 pm »
Last week the cat  :cat:dived under the ground floor floorboards while the plumber was trying to fit a new shower tray.   :oIf he had not seen Mac go into the hole....  Cat resurfaced 6 hours later having spent the day in the footings of the house.  ??? A lucky escape - this time  :wave:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS