Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: wiltshire horn shedding fleece  (Read 5898 times)

dontworkclimb

• Joined Apr 2012
wiltshire horn shedding fleece
« on: April 28, 2012, 10:50:20 am »
One of my wilts. ewes (with twin lambs) has completely shed her fleece. This morning I noticed whilst feeding she appeared to be shivering and cold. She is not bad condition and otherwise looks healthy. Weather has been rubbish over past few days. She hates being away from other sheep, but should I bring her back in? Twins are about 7 weeks old and she is a good mum.

Pedwardine

• Joined Feb 2012
  • South Lincolnshire
Re: wiltshire horn shedding fleece
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2012, 11:54:35 am »
Don't want to sound stupid but isn't this a breed which naturally sheds it's fleece?

Sylvia

• Joined Aug 2009
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2012, 12:56:22 pm »
One of my Shetlands has done the same. She has been through a tough old time in the past couple of weeks so I'm thinking that stress might have been the cause :-\

MarvinH

• Joined Oct 2011
  • England
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2012, 01:56:07 pm »
I wouldnt be in a rush to bring her in - is there any natural shelter/wind break that she could take her self to if she wants?
Sheep

dontworkclimb

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2012, 02:07:29 pm »
Thanks JS. We have just moved them into a new field with much better shelter and she is looking much happier-also new yummy grass!! Hopefully no issues with that!!

dontworkclimb

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2012, 02:11:03 pm »
Thanks for speedy replies to all and sorry to Pedwardine if I didn't make it clear-it was fact she was shaking with cold that bothered me not the shedding. New to sheep-keeping and something new seems to happen everyday!

SteveHants

• Joined Aug 2011
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2012, 05:08:37 pm »
Most of my Wilts shed at the back end of Feb. Never noticed one shivering. Could there be another reason? Sometimes they get itchy when they shed.

Pedwardine

• Joined Feb 2012
  • South Lincolnshire
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2012, 11:12:52 pm »
Sorry hon. Ignorant of me. I didn't even register the shivering and cold bit. Humblest 'pologies. :( Hope she'll be ok.

Yeoman

• Joined Oct 2010
  • South Northamptonshire
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2012, 02:28:09 pm »
Mine started shedding back in February - mad things!  They have not been impressed with all the wet weather recently but have plenty of thick cover where they are. 

So I think you've already done the right thing by putting them somewhere where there is plenty of cover to keep the worst of the wind and rain off.

Brijjy

• Joined Sep 2010
  • Mid Wales
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2012, 02:40:09 pm »
All of mine have shed or are nearly finished. They seem to hold on to their coats for a bit longer up here. My original ewe was a bit shivery but I think that was down to awful, cold, wet weather and the fact that she had just lambed and needed a pick me up. She is fine now. Was yours a first timer at shedding? I would imagine it would be a bit of a shock to some  :o
Silly Spangled Appenzellers, Dutch bantams, Lavender Araucanas, a turkey called Alistair, Muscovy ducks and Jimmy the Fell pony. No pig left in the freezer, we ate him all!

SteveHants

• Joined Aug 2011
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2012, 02:45:38 pm »
Just as an aside....Wilts Horns have been successfully introduced to Canada....

Crofterloon

• Joined Mar 2012
  • Mintlaw
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2012, 04:31:28 pm »
I have 14 Wiltshire Hoggs in a field and they look like exploded mattresses at present.
But they will look really bonnie once the shedding finishes.

Brijjy

• Joined Sep 2010
  • Mid Wales
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2012, 04:45:26 pm »
Did you also know that the fleece melts in a washing machine. My slightly mad mother picked some up last year and washed it. I have no idea what she wanted to do with it but anyway, it all melted away in the washing machine. There was nothing left, not even in the filter.
Silly Spangled Appenzellers, Dutch bantams, Lavender Araucanas, a turkey called Alistair, Muscovy ducks and Jimmy the Fell pony. No pig left in the freezer, we ate him all!

Crofterloon

• Joined Mar 2012
  • Mintlaw
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2012, 09:45:24 am »
Did you also know that the fleece melts in a washing machine. My slightly mad mother picked some up last year and washed it. I have no idea what she wanted to do with it but anyway, it all melted away in the washing machine. There was nothing left, not even in the filter.

So will it melt over a period with just rain?

SteveHants

• Joined Aug 2011
« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2012, 01:50:35 pm »
It certainly doesn't hang about forever - Id always put it down to nesting birds.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS