Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Quad bike advice  (Read 9661 times)

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
Quad bike advice
« on: April 25, 2012, 02:54:53 pm »
I really fancy a quad bike but am trying to justify the need.

When my piggies are here their field will be up the lane. It really is only a minutes walk but UP is the word. I was thinking of using the quad bike to take their water and feed to them as I am not as flexible as I used to be.

Other than that we only have a couple of acres but all on a slope too.

I wouldn't want a new bike but is it worth me getting  second hand one and if so what do I look for?

thanks
Sally
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

robert waddell

Re: Quad bike advice
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2012, 03:02:36 pm »
one that works is a good starting point ;) :farmer:

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2012, 05:40:02 pm »
if you arent needing speed but need to carry stuff, I think a 4 wheel mule type is the way to go. We have a really really ancient diesel 6 wheeler and I love it, esp in the snow!! Not fast but much more stable than a quad and has a truck back so you can put all the feed and water containers on it.

Young lads hate them cos they are so slow but they go up hills ok and the stuff stays on board!!

bazzais

• Joined Jan 2010
    • Allt Y Coed Farm and Campsite
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2012, 05:38:49 pm »
What kind of money are you looking to spend?

How much water and food do you intend to carry?

If your just wanting a knock around quad for doing back and forth jobs - get an old knock around quad - the things you dont really need to look at and can knock people down on price is things like split drive boots, electrics not quite right, worn tyres on the braking wheels (turn them over for another 5 years wear lol), bodywork damage - as long as it starts well and every gear works thats about all thats important.

My ugliest most worn out quad is my favourite - bashed to hell and back - been rolled by about everyone except me. (I just have to fix the bastard after).

Your more often than not better off buying an old cheap honda or susuki than any spending a little more cash on an 'old' newer imported atv as parts for hondas are easy to get and cheap as chips.

All old 4 stroke hondas will be seeping oil from the rocker cover gasket and smoking from the engine exhaust - just have a quick look over the engine and make sure there are no rounded bolts, nuts or screws for the future.

I wouldnt be able to do without a quad - you'll love it when you have one - you wont know what you did without it (well you will in winter when it wont start and the battery is flat, but you get what I mean)

Baz

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2012, 05:59:17 pm »
Thanks Baz,  I was thinking around £1,500.  I only need to carry a couple of pounds of pig nuts and a gallon or so of water so it won't get over used. 

Sally

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2012, 02:11:45 am »
Can you use the car to transport a few pig nuts and cart a gallon of water up the lane?  And then spend the £1500 on something more productive...! ;D
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2012, 08:20:39 am »
Sally, yes of course I can but it won't be so exciting  ;D ;D

robert waddell

« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2012, 08:32:06 am »
they must be putting something in your cornflakes bionic getting excited about a quad
either that or something lacking in your life :D
right enough when i was younger i would have driven tractors with 6 inch nails sticking out the seat ;) :farmer:

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2012, 08:44:52 am »
Robert, my legs aren't as flexible as they used to be (might even have problems getting astride a quad bike) but at heart I am still 21.  My body is aging but my mind hasn't caught up.

Sally

FiB

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Bala, North Wales
    • Facebook
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2012, 08:45:30 am »
Bionic - my mate got a great quad AND trailer for £1500 from the mid wales ATV centre - bikes plastic bits were cracked or missing, but its a great bike and the trailer is amazing - I was green with envy. :P

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2012, 08:49:27 am »
Thanks FIB I will take a look
Sally

robert waddell

« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2012, 08:56:58 am »
i still think i am young as well       yes try an ATV centre or Honda dealership  you will need to know them to get spares anyway it is amazing what you can get as long as you don't rush into it
meanwhile  at the highland show one year Harley Davidson had a stand   i went back to Lillian to inform her of this and we were standing admiring them the guy with a long ponytail comes over ye sure you can sit on it  so Lillian sits on it        and says   with this throbbing betwean your legs who the f*** would want a man     poor guy so embarrassed :farmer:

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2012, 11:06:48 am »
Hmmm, a Harley, now thats a thought  ;D

kaz

• Joined Jul 2008
  • Ceredigion
  • Dust yourself off when life throws you down.
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2012, 06:21:48 pm »
There is a place in Talsarn that sell second hand quads and new Honda ones. Dalton's ATVs. Don't know what the second hand ones are like from there. We purchased ours from Newtown, but don't know if they sell in your price range.
Buy one fit for what you want to do with it as the cheaper imports are not really for what you want. :)
Penybont Ryelands. Ystwyth Coloured Ryelands.  2 alpacas, 2 angora goats, 2 anglo nubian kids, 3golden retrievers a collie and a red fox labrador retriever, geese, ducks & chickens.

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2012, 06:24:46 pm »
Thanks Kaz, I had found the Talsarn plae in yellow pages.  Its definitely worth a look there

Sally

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS