Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Which hand saw do I use for frozen meat?!  (Read 17098 times)

Mel

Which hand saw do I use for frozen meat?!
« on: April 22, 2012, 08:52:24 pm »
 :wave: Hello all.

When the butcher processed our Pork last year,he gave us some joints which really are way too large,did not notice them at the time,I have tried to sell them but no one has a family large enough for a 4.5kg shoulder or leg joint! :o

All this is in our freezer and I wanted to cut the joints down say into three so they are more manageable,and at least if no one bought any,we could even eat them! Could you imagine two people trying to get through a 4.5KG shoulder joint? Some of these are also bone in,so is there such a saw which would cut through frozen meat and bone?

I would be so grateful for your advice please. :-\
Mel

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
Re: Which hand saw do I use for frozen meat?!
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2012, 09:20:14 pm »
We're in the same situation Leghorn. We were given a Pork shoulder and a leg that are big enough for three meals but are frozen. The only thing I can think of is a hacksaw with about 32tpi, but it will take ages. We have a Silky tree saw but worried about blunting it with replacement blades at £25 each. The fine saw will heat up the meat as it cuts and defrost it though. Hope someone in the forum has a solution.

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2012, 09:40:03 pm »
A neighbour says he uses a circular saw. I haven't tried it - yet, but also have a huge pork joint, so might  ;)

robert waddell

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2012, 09:46:52 pm »
search the weschenfielder site they have meat saws and you can get replacement blades for them or try any butchery supply company :farmer:

HappyHippy

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2012, 01:02:27 am »
Or, to save the hassle of cutting it - why not defrost it and turn it all into sausages or cure it  ;) :yum:
Then it's easy to divide up  :thumbsup:

Sorry I have no useful advice about cutting it when frozen  :-\

JulieS

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Devon - EX39 5RF
    • Ford Mill Farm
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2012, 05:25:02 am »
I would defrost too. 

Cut it up and have a roast with some.  Mince the rest and make some sausages for eating within the next few days.

The rest of the mince I'd make into cottage pies, bolognese sauce and pasties to freeze.

Pedigree GOS Pigs and Butchery for Smallholders.

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
  • nr Lauder, Scottish Borders
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2012, 08:52:19 pm »
If you pm me your details I could post you our Pig in a Day dvd (Hugh FW) as we will never do it - it shows you how you do the whole hog (hem) and all the right tools - takes you through the whole thing.  You're welcome to it.
registered soay, castlemilk moorit  and north ronaldsay sheep, pygmy goats, steinbacher geese, muscovy ducks, various hens, lots of visiting mallards, a naughty border collie, a puss and a couple of guinea pigs

deepinthewoods

« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2012, 09:40:40 pm »
or, buy a good quality tenon saw, ive often used mine for chopping up frozen meat, i always wash it after tho, ready for work. oh and before i use it on meat!!

a circular saw generally only cuts to about 2inch deep and wouldnt work for bone. failing that fire up the chainsaw!!

artscott

• Joined Nov 2011
  • Methlick, Aberdeenshire
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2012, 12:35:11 pm »
Same here, I have used my tenon saw to cut up frozen meat successfully, with bone in too.  Just give it a very good wash before and after, and maybe a thin smear of olive oil to stop it sticking.

I’m going to show this post to my mum as when I was a school I came home to find her trying to chop a large joint in half with a wood axe.  It looked like something out of a horror film in the kitchen.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS