Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: North Ronaldsays pics  (Read 3427 times)

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
  • nr Lauder, Scottish Borders
North Ronaldsays pics
« on: April 21, 2012, 08:23:56 pm »
I know how we all like pics, so here's a couple of our new North Ronaldsay girls whose first birthdays were just last week.  They've come all the way from Lancashire to the Scottish Borders and they are super friendly - anyone looking for friendly sheep this is the breed to get (these two aren't unique in their friendliness) and they eat from our hands quite happily.  They look like seaweed on legs and we are really taken with them.  Hope you like the pics. :D
registered soay, castlemilk moorit  and north ronaldsay sheep, pygmy goats, steinbacher geese, muscovy ducks, various hens, lots of visiting mallards, a naughty border collie, a puss and a couple of guinea pigs

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
Re: North Ronaldsays pics
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2012, 08:37:30 pm »
Oh, I like those  :thumbsup: I shall tell them you said they looked like seaweed on legs  :D
How big are they - compared with say Castlemilks or Shetlands?

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2012, 08:51:27 pm »
Me too.

I do like sheep with horns  :sheep:

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2012, 08:53:02 pm »
Bigger than the soays (in height and bushiness), just smaller than the moorits.  They look like they should have barnacles hanging from their coats.  They come running right up to us when we go in the field and follow us around everywhere.  Lovely sheep, quite goat like.  We can't get near our moorits although the soays are a bit friendlier.  The ronnys are staying on their own just now though and not joining the group.  I do like scruffy animals :D :D
registered soay, castlemilk moorit  and north ronaldsay sheep, pygmy goats, steinbacher geese, muscovy ducks, various hens, lots of visiting mallards, a naughty border collie, a puss and a couple of guinea pigs

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2012, 08:58:57 pm »
Oh, I like them  :love:

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2012, 09:35:04 pm »
Excuse my ignorance .... are they the ones that graze seaweed?

Adam Henson helped round some up?  Or am I confused?

YorkshireLass

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Just when I thought I'd settled down...!
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2012, 10:44:49 pm »
Yes, they are adapted to graze island seaweed, this also means they're susceptible to copper poisoning so need special mineral buckets etc  :thumbsup:
Cute little things, the lambs are like mobile teddies  ;D

Mammyshaz

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Durham
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2012, 11:19:32 pm »
Very nice  :love: I do like horned breeds. ( not that I'm any expert at al..........YET)

They look very content  :thumbsup:

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2012, 10:00:39 am »
We give them sugar beet pellets just now to let them know they are being looked after but they will just graze in a few weeks.  They get other additives if they are in lamb (such as flaked peas) but they can't be fed our normal ewe and lamb mix as it contains copper, so they are fed separately, but that's not a hassle.  We are going to have them sheared so it will be interesting to see what they look like after that (smaller probably :o)  I'll re-pic around June for that!

Pedwardine

• Joined Feb 2012
  • South Lincolnshire
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2012, 10:38:48 am »
Very pretty. I like them alot. I like it when sheep are like woolly dogs and follow you everywhere.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS