Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: creep/weaning etc help please?  (Read 3915 times)

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
creep/weaning etc help please?
« on: April 22, 2012, 08:39:27 am »
My orphan lambs are now 7 and a half weeks old, down to 1 bottle until lamlac runs out (?tomorrow? and eating loads of grass in the main field with the 2 older sheep and some creep in the morning and afternoon.
I have been bringing the lambs into the nursery paddock each night (so they can have their bottle and shed shelter) but are they old enough to stay in the main field all the time now do you think?
I can set up a creep area to keep the big ones out - but if they are eating loads of grass, saplings etc (as they are) do they need creep still? Have put a picture so you can see how big they are if it helps! thank you! the white sheep is a year old and has 'adopted' them, in fact both ewes are quite bossy making sure the little ones stay in the flock.
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

Moleskins

• Joined Sep 2009
  • England
Re: creep/weaning etc help please?
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2012, 08:49:09 am »
I'm tempted to say I've got ewes that aren't that big. There was an earlier thread that said not to feed creep at all as it does something to the meat which makes it less beneficial to the consumer.
I would have said your lambs would be fine anywhere and they certainly don't need a shelter.
Time flies like an arrow but fruit flies like a banana.

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2012, 08:59:14 am »
Thanks Moleskins  :)

They are SuffolkXTexel so quite chunky boys. They aren't for eating this year - just pet lawnmowers for the children. They are being a bit pampered with the shelter - I think its the fox that worried me most but I think these 3 should give him a run for his money now  ;)
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2012, 10:39:29 am »
Corrrrrrr.....  I was thinking just that moleskins.

After looking at my tiny Soay twins these look HUGE. I think theyd give the fox a run for his money! ;D

Dont know much about how long you feed for but I always give my Soay a tiny bit of feed to keep them tame so I suppose you can do that for a while if these are to be pets.

Dont think they would need shelter because my teeny lambs at a week old are often lying on their own now and not cuddled up to mum.

They look very cuddly. You obviously did a good job rearing them.

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2012, 11:20:23 am »
What a good job you've done with them  :thumbsup:

I keep on with the creep just a bit, cos it keeps them friendly and coming to you. Are the rest of the flock on just grass now, is it growing enough with you?

Yes, I think these are big enough to be out with the flock now and I'm sure it helps that they've been adopted socially  :)

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2012, 11:23:12 am »
They look very cuddly. You obviously did a good job rearing them.

Thank you so much, In the Hills! First year of having our very own lambs so was a bit nervous but its thanks to all you good people here on TAS that these boys are doing so well. Have learnt so much and would honestly say that every time I have a blip in confidence I just come here and get non-judgemental help and advice and go away feeling much better  :)

Right, so tonight these 3 don't come into their little nursery paddock any more - that will make them happy because they've munched all the grass in there now!

ooh just saw your post Jaykay - thank you :)   rest of flock on just grass but a smidgen of dry food to keep them sweet (literally a few dots of the stuff) the grass has come through thick and fast in the last month, which is why I think the goat has gone back into unmated milk production. we've been lucky considering the 'drought'. Still can't quite believe how one of the ewes (who's still only a lamb herself really) has adopted these 3 - her own mum attacked and disowned her at birth so she's never been mothered herself apart from by humans. what a little legend!

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2012, 11:24:40 am »
If you've got good grass and you're feeding the others a bit of cake to keep them sociable, I would just add the lambs into this system now then.

Remy

• Joined Dec 2011
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2012, 11:44:39 am »
When I reared my rejected ewe lamb last year I just put her out with the others when they went out and she came over for her bottle till I decided she'd had enough!  Mind you the weather was a lot better then ...  ::)  I never fed her any creep and she just started nibbling the grass like the others did.
1 horse, 2 ponies, 4 dogs, 2 Kune Kunes, a variety of sheep

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS