Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: WARNING FOR DOG OWNERS  (Read 18231 times)

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
Re: WARNING FOR DOG OWNERS
« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2012, 12:14:54 pm »
Same here with the goats and sheep Annie - my 4 are quite hardy and (touch wood!) we've not had any poorly tummies or possible zoonoses *much as hubby always blames my livestock soon as a child is sicky after a e-number infested birthday party....*. 
I am sooo paranoid about other peoples children though, we've even got one of those alcohol hand-wash dispensers for if little friends come to feed the lambs their bottle or are playing with any of the animals.  I have visions of a child picking up a bug and it being blamed on their visit to our home (we know a few that are very well wrapped in cotton wool  ;)  not mine, as you know!)   
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2012, 03:45:00 pm »
Just think about it like this, you're helping the little friends avoid having asthma and eczema, which many scientists think are our immune systems turning on ourselves because they have insufficient work to so, as our lives and houses are too clean! (well, some people's lives and houses, she says looking around at the three dogs, two cats and three ducklings in the kitchen......)

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2012, 11:20:24 pm »
Just think about it like this, you're helping the little friends avoid having asthma and eczema, which many scientists think are our immune systems turning on ourselves because they have insufficient work to so, as our lives and houses are too clean! (well, some people's lives and houses, she says looking around at the three dogs, two cats and three ducklings in the kitchen......)

Does that mean avoiding housework will make me healthier?

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2012, 06:10:22 am »
Does that mean avoiding housework will make me healthier?
Oh, in far more ways than just this  ;)

Dust if you must, but wouldn't it be better
To paint a picture, or write a letter,
Bake a cake, or plant a seed;
Ponder the difference between want and need?

Dust if you must, but there's not much time,
With rivers to swim, and mountains to climb;
Music to hear, and books to read;
Friends to cherish, and life to lead.

Dust if you must, but the world's out there
With the sun in your eyes, and the wind in your hair;
A flutter of snow, a shower of rain,
This day will not come around again.

Rose Milligan

Sandy

« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2012, 11:08:33 am »
jaykay, I think I may print that out and put it in all our guests bedrooms, with open fires and 4 dogs there is always dust!!

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #20 on: April 18, 2012, 11:11:02 am »
Maybe I should make this poem my motto  :thumbsup:

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #21 on: April 18, 2012, 12:11:06 pm »
My mum sent it me, along with a fridge magnet that says 'Dull women have immaculate houses'. It's definitely how we both live  :D

arl

• Joined Mar 2011
« Reply #22 on: April 18, 2012, 12:29:13 pm »
that could have been written for me it totally sums up how i feel about housework and life.Too many kids today are squeaky clean and i am sure its why so many allergies are appearing. My daughter used to hitch rides in my mucking out barrow(pigs_horses) as a little girl and she never ailed anything till she went to school, same as diet she would eat anything we did and was appalled at all the processed food they were offered,when i complained i was told that the other children wouldnt eat proper cooked meals because they didnt eat that kind of food at home. When i wanted to send a packed lunch that was refused too on the grounds that others would want to do the same and when it had been done in the past parents had forgotten and they had hungry children on their hands.
Anyway enough ramblinArl

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #23 on: April 18, 2012, 12:38:50 pm »
This was read out at my cousin Elspeth's funeral a couple of months ago. - at her own request apparently - she had one helluva sense of humour ;D
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

tizaala

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Dolau, Llandrindod Wells,Powys
« Reply #24 on: April 18, 2012, 12:47:41 pm »
When we were fostering we had a 10 year old boy who had never been offered an egg in his life , not boiled or fried or cooked in any way, He thought we were trying to poison him, take aways and chips with tomato sauce was all he knew. So sad.

TheCaptain

• Joined May 2010
« Reply #25 on: April 18, 2012, 09:33:07 pm »
When my first child was born we were advised to get him naked and let the dog lick him all over so that she would accept him as one of her own. We've done it with all three and her bond with the children is the strongest of all - I know that dog would do anything to protect my children and it makes me feel a whole lot better whenever I'm away knowing that bond is there.

I also let her lick any grazes/small nicks etc I have - dog saliva also has some amazing healing qualities (stick that in your pipe and smoke it all you you crazy OCD wash your hands after touching anything people!!!)

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #26 on: April 18, 2012, 09:35:10 pm »
dog saliva also has some amazing healing qualities (stick that in your pipe and smoke it all you you crazy OCD wash your hands after touching anything people!!!)
Love your style! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

TheCaptain

• Joined May 2010
« Reply #27 on: April 18, 2012, 09:42:12 pm »
dog saliva also has some amazing healing qualities (stick that in your pipe and smoke it all you you crazy OCD wash your hands after touching anything people!!!)
Love your style! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

It gets me into trouble a lot of the time...

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #28 on: April 18, 2012, 09:52:09 pm »
Dog saliva - and human saliva. Best thing you can do with a cut finger is stick it in your mouth  :D

TheCaptain

• Joined May 2010
« Reply #29 on: April 18, 2012, 09:57:20 pm »
Yeah, has lots of clotting agents in it supposedly

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS