Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: WARNING FOR DOG OWNERS  (Read 18229 times)

tizaala

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Dolau, Llandrindod Wells,Powys
WARNING FOR DOG OWNERS
« on: April 16, 2012, 08:59:56 am »

TAKEN FROM FACEBOOK

CROSSPOSTING THIS AS A WARNING TO OTHERS

A member in Scotland has just come upon a case of a dog dying, apparently after licking its owner's leg not long after the owner had applied a cream to her leg.
The problem appears to be an ingredient called Calcipotriol which is a vitamin D analogue. It is used in ointments for eczema and psoriasis. This case suggests that it may be fatal to dogs in minute doses - even just one lick.
Until we hear any more, please pass this on as an alert for dog owners who have skin problems to check the ingredients of any creams they use

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
Re: WARNING FOR DOG OWNERS
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2012, 01:32:26 pm »
Yes, the cream is Dovobet or Dovonet (one has steroids in, they are both calcipotriol). Didn't know they were so dangerous to dogs, the poor woman!
Two dogs died near here last hear having eaten something with lots of vit D3 in - can't remember what, think it was for sheep?

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2012, 02:21:49 pm »
Seen this warning before - have checked my ointment - it's betnovate, so none of that stuff in it as far as I can see.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

OhLaLa

• Joined Sep 2010
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2012, 02:58:11 pm »
Don't let a dog lick you. A dog licks all sorts of yuk (including it's ass - and it's nose after sniffing/pushing into something we would never touch)..... and then licks a human..........? Very unhygienic.

Ok, I understand the 'dangers' highlighted in this post but:

http://www.articleclick.com/Article/Should-You-Let-Your-Dog-Lick-You/1042180

It's also a poor example to give to children who may copy - and that aspect alone opens up all sorts of dangers including bacteria and worm ingestion.

Sandy

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2012, 03:30:17 pm »
I always worry when we sell our pups to families with children, they can end up eating all sorts of things and children love feeding stuff to dogs or animals!!!!!!! I have no creams just tablets and I hope to keep them well away but you can never be 100% safe..

.I remember Rohan as a pup chewing on some flea drops, I rang up the vet and it was no prob....dogs like finding treasure and also lick all sorts of stuff, anti freeze being a fave I think!! !!  I like the odd dog kiss, I have caught more bugs from humans than from my dogs ::) ::)  You never know where and what humans have been licking either ::) ::)

OhLaLa

• Joined Sep 2010
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2012, 04:49:10 pm »
You never know where and what humans have been licking either

Frozen lamp-posts were the 'dare' when I was a kid..........    ::)

Sandy

« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2012, 05:00:18 pm »
My friends and myself used to lick stone statue bottoms in the local cemetery!!!!

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2012, 10:11:40 pm »
Don't let a dog lick you. A dog licks all sorts of yuk (including it's ass - and it's nose after sniffing/pushing into something we would never touch)..... and then licks a human..........? Very unhygienic.

Ok, I understand the 'dangers' highlighted in this post but:

http://www.articleclick.com/Article/Should-You-Let-Your-Dog-Lick-You/1042180

It's also a poor example to give to children who may copy - and that aspect alone opens up all sorts of dangers including bacteria and worm ingestion.
well I've been letting my dogs lick me for 68 years and I'm not dead yet! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D  'Ye'll eat a peck o dirt afore ye dee' ;)
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2012, 10:27:39 pm »
I've only been doing it for 48 years Annie, but I'm also a pretty healthy specimen  ;)

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2012, 10:29:11 pm »
I've only been doing it for 48 years Annie, but I'm also a pretty healthy specimen  ;)
:thumbsup:

Sylvia

• Joined Aug 2009
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2012, 07:31:53 am »
It is said that a human bite contains more harmful bacteria than a dog's. As long as you know your dog is well wormed then a welcoming lick around your chops is most comforting :-* :-*

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2012, 07:54:43 am »
Can Toxicariasis be transferred if an infected dog licks the face of a child?  Just wondering, as I've heard of it but know very little!
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2012, 08:47:23 am »
Theoretically possible, practically highly unlikely  :-*

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2012, 09:09:25 am »
 :) thank you
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2012, 12:04:37 pm »
I don't let my grandchildren eat until they have washed their hands and face after playing with the dogs, and tell them not to put their own fingers in their mouths,  but then that's just ordinary common or garden hygiene! ;D

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS