Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: swallows and swifts  (Read 13080 times)

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
Re: swallows and swifts
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2012, 05:16:24 pm »
None here yet so far  :(

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2012, 12:24:26 pm »
Swallows arrived this morning, feel for them as its very wet and cold. A few years ago May and June were terrible. When the baby swallows hatched the parents chucked them out of the nest and all died. At first I thought it was just around my place but it happened all over the village. I can only presume the parent birds did this as they were not enough insects to feed them. What ever the reason it was horrible to see lots of newly hatched dead birds

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2012, 03:55:14 am »
We got the first pair of swallows returning a couple of days ago - and on the same day, the midges were rife. 
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #18 on: April 26, 2012, 11:55:18 am »
Saw my first swallow on Saturday - forgot to put it in the diary - thanks for reminding me :thumbsup:

chairmanphil

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Oxfordshire
« Reply #19 on: April 26, 2012, 12:01:40 pm »
looking up now and waiting for the swifts and the hobbies!
1 acre of land where i am clearing trees and a swimming pool so we can make the land productive. MK3 hilux single cab pickup which has been completely rebuilt over the last 2 years matt black and cool as! no animals yet except a very furry black cat called Hansel (he is so hot right now)

deepinthewoods

« Reply #20 on: April 26, 2012, 12:16:38 pm »
my first above the house yesterday

chairmanphil

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Oxfordshire
« Reply #21 on: April 26, 2012, 01:17:02 pm »
my first above the house yesterday

good lad, should be here any day now then  :thumbsup:
1 acre of land where i am clearing trees and a swimming pool so we can make the land productive. MK3 hilux single cab pickup which has been completely rebuilt over the last 2 years matt black and cool as! no animals yet except a very furry black cat called Hansel (he is so hot right now)

blades

• Joined Jun 2011
  • Huntly
« Reply #22 on: April 26, 2012, 08:24:49 pm »
Swallows back, near Turriff, Aberdeenshire.  :)
Metal Detectorist

Pedwardine

• Joined Feb 2012
  • South Lincolnshire
« Reply #23 on: April 27, 2012, 10:47:21 pm »
Swallows spotted today in South Lincolnshire. Lovely to see them back.

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #24 on: April 28, 2012, 01:22:42 am »
Don't suppose anyone has the expertise to do an on-line map showing dates of arrival in various parts of the country?

chairmanphil

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Oxfordshire
« Reply #25 on: April 28, 2012, 09:40:16 am »
Don't suppose anyone has the expertise to do an on-line map showing dates of arrival in various parts of the country?

we could do it next year but i think it is a little late now. set to see the first swifts and hobbies. then they will all be here again! i have a timeshare in dona lola on the costa del sol for week 11, the balcony is right on the med and you can sit there and watch them come straight over from africa! one of my special places!

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #26 on: April 30, 2012, 11:33:23 pm »
i have a timeshare in dona lola on the costa del sol for week 11, the balcony is right on the med and you can sit there and watch them come straight over from africa! one of my special places!
Sounds Magic!

deepinthewoods

« Reply #27 on: May 01, 2012, 07:55:12 am »
i bet you a pint, that you see your first swallow today phil, keep your eyes peeled!!

chairmanphil

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Oxfordshire
« Reply #28 on: May 01, 2012, 07:59:31 am »
i bet you a pint, that you see your first swallow today phil, keep your eyes peeled!!

got swallows mate, it is the swifts i am looking for and then the pair of Hobbies we have had for the last 2 years! they are my favorite birds of prey! they nest in a pear tree on my plot! great fun!! the female Goshawk hates them but can't catch them and the nest is placed so she can't get in. very clever!  ;D

Mel Rice

• Joined Sep 2011
« Reply #29 on: May 04, 2012, 02:09:06 pm »
The German nesting ones have arrived....mind you we have had summer whilst the uk was getting the needed rain!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS