Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: What age is best to sell female kids?  (Read 2099 times)

poppy2012

• Joined Mar 2012
What age is best to sell female kids?
« on: April 13, 2012, 02:26:28 pm »
Quick question, thinking ahead here...
At what age should you think about selling female kids? Have 2 already and Pip is carrying heavy ..you never know, and although they are gorgeous, i cant keep them :(

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
Re: What age is best to sell female kids?
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2012, 09:11:11 pm »
It really depends on if you need the milk early on, and if the kid(s) are one the bottle. Once they are safely on the bottle you can sell them to someone who can bottle them with either their own goatsmilk or with milk replacer. Realistically most people sell once their kids are off milk, probably 12 weeks onwards, and they are well established on hay and some kind of concentrate.

Also if both parents are registered with the BGS, you should register the kid(s) if you are a BGS member, as that would increase their value.

If you have found a buyer, make sure they have a CPH number.

I find selling goat kids really, really difficult - hence first goat house extension last summer...

Brucklay

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Perthshire
    • Brucklay Pygmy Goats
    • Facebook
Re: What age is best to sell female kids?
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2012, 10:06:30 pm »
12 weeks for mine - there eating hay, grass and crunchies well by then and the mum's are getting a little fed up of their nagging for milk  ;D
Pygmy Goats, Shetland Sheep, Zip & Indie the Border Collies, BeeBee the cat and a wreak of a building to renovate!!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS