Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: My very first goat kid! eek!  (Read 2632 times)

Luce747

• Joined Jan 2011
My very first goat kid! eek!
« on: April 14, 2012, 04:59:07 pm »
My nanny goat had her first kid yesterday afternoon and luckily for me it was an extremely fast and easy birth. Mum bonded well to the little lad and he learned to stand and feed by himself easily.

I have sprayed his cord and navel with an antiseptic type spray. Do more experienced breeders have any advice for me as to a care plan for the kid? i.e when would I dectomax him and is there anything else I need to do?
Thanks guys

and here is a lovely video of his first 3 hours  :goat:  :love: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=9uKpNcED4KA#!

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
Re: My very first goat kid! eek!
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2012, 06:43:52 pm »
Excellent  :thumbsup: You've done the most important thing.

Is his mum going to rear him? (by far the best plan).

You don't need to do anything for a bit.

At about 4 and 8 weeks he will need a clostridial vaccine (Lambivac, Heptavac, Bravoxin or similar)

He shouldn't need Dectomax for some time, it's for worms and lice etc.

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2012, 07:02:43 pm »
he's lovely  :)
how do those rabbits not get stepped on?!

Will he be castrated?
Little Blue

Luce747

• Joined Jan 2011
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2012, 07:17:24 pm »
I have had a number of rabbits free ranging with goats in the past and touch wood no problems! The goats do have separate enclosures but we decided to move Hermione and her kid to this side garden as it is just outside our back door and we can more easily keep a close eye on him.

He will definitely be raised by mum! I do not believe in hand rearing animals unless it is a life or death situation. I do not even believe that hand rearing leads to a tamer/friendlier animal of any species. I think that idea is quite outdated and i could never do a better job than Hermione  :trophy:

We are pretty sure he will be castrated although not particularly looking forward to doing our first band!

Mum had a shot of Lambivac about 2 weeks ago so I'm guessing the kid will benefit from that to begin with?

I'll check my dectomax to see what age it recommends starting from but glad to know I don't need to worry about wormer for a while.

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2012, 07:21:20 pm »
Mum had a shot of Lambivac about 2 weeks ago so I'm guessing the kid will benefit from that to begin with?
Good - you're doing all the right things  :thumbsup: Yes, he'll get immunity from that, via her colostrum. That's why you don't jag them til they're about 3-4 weeks old, when the colostrum immunity wears off (cos its just mum's antibodies not the kid making his own). If you jag them too soon, the passive immunity from mum interferes with the kid's ability to make his own immune response.

Luce747

• Joined Jan 2011
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2012, 08:01:24 pm »
Awesome - thanks for the info. Its a relief to know we have done right so far as we are newbies to goat breeding but feel tempted to get into it a little further. It can be hard to get the experience and info you need under your belt!

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2012, 08:06:12 pm »
Be warned - it's rather addictive  :D
« Last Edit: April 14, 2012, 08:08:37 pm by jaykay »

countrywoman

• Joined Nov 2011
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2012, 11:18:52 am »
What a fabulous little chap he is! 

Great to know that all went well - I'm waiting for my first kidding any day now, so this is very encouraging.  Like you, I'm gradually working out all the health and welfare needs for newborns and find this forum helps a lot. 

Luce747

• Joined Jan 2011
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2012, 12:28:15 pm »
thank you and very best of luck with your firstborn!

we had read a lot of information about potential problems and being Hermione's first birth, we were worried. However we heard her bleeting loudly in the middle of the afternoon, rushed out to find the kid halfway out and born before I could grab my camera!!

we have had to do nothing but spray the umbilical cord to protect that area... oh and cuddle the adorable kid a lot!  :love:

also worth a mention, I was pleasantly surprised at how accepting mum has been. Hermione allowed me to film her immediately after the birth and allowed us to stroke the kid at just 3 hours old. So long as she can see him and lick him, she is happy for him to go to people.

I do have another video of the three of us - you can see that she doesnt try to get her baby from me:
Day Old Pygmy Goat

miniaturesabound

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Lincolnshire
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2012, 01:12:26 pm »
What a lovely piece of film. One oh so cute kid and happy family all round.
"A stubborn horse walks behind you, an impatient horse walks in front of you, but a noble friend walks beside you"

Advertisement

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS