Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: wet curing pork  (Read 11017 times)

yvilalba

• Joined Apr 2012
wet curing pork
« on: April 10, 2012, 05:02:30 pm »
We are wet curing a leg of pork,we have done dry curing as per "john seymour's" book,but in the wet curing he suggests 4 days per pound ?? but have read in other articles 1 day per kilo in brine ?? so bit confused !!...does anyone know the length of time best left in brine ???

tizaala

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Dolau, Llandrindod Wells,Powys
Re: wet curing pork
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2012, 05:14:38 pm »
Depends if it's off the bone or on , I think you are safer off the bone so the salt can get well in to the leg, at about 2 days per killo.

nelson

• Joined Jan 2011
    • lelogisfrance
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2012, 07:13:14 pm »
 :wave: Hi yvilalba

although we now dry cure our Berkshire hams - there is a very good wet cure recipe on this forum from user hilarysmum - I have used this and it is very successful.

We do take the bone out of our hams (butterfly) and then dry cure ...then after the appropriate time rinse, dry and tie.
Ready to cook.

yvilalba

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2012, 02:44:18 pm »
Hi,thanks for replies, I really didn't get the answer I wanted in so much as we now have 4 legs weighed..with bone..in brine solution,and we are doing this to preserve them..ie with the dry cured previous legs we now have them hanging and air curing more..like the spanish do( we live in spain) and like I say we put them in the curing brine to try, but I can't find the exact time they need to be left in it,ie time per kilo or pound.Thank you once again for your suggestions. 

Tamsaddle

• Joined May 2011
  • Hampshire, near Portsmouth
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2012, 03:51:06 pm »
The crucial question is what strength of brine are you using?  We started off with the Hugh F-W recipe of 250-330 g salt/litre, which came out far too salty, but needs less time.  At the other end of the scale Hilarysmum (on TAS somewhere) recommends 140 g salt + 60 g sugar/litre.  This year we settled for 160 g salt + 60 g sugar/litre, with bone in, for 3.5 days per kg of leg including bone, which worked perfectly as one of the hams we had to chop in half and the brining had worked all the way through to the bone.   It was perfect when cooked - not too salty at all after the normal, pre-cooking, 24 hour soak in fresh water.   During the brining we also made a few holes into the leg and along the bone with a skewer in the hope that that would get more of the salt solution right to the centre, which seemed to work.  HTH - Tamsaddle

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2012, 04:33:17 pm »
THE expert on this forum (IMO) is Hilary's Mum. She put this recipe up a year or two ago and I messaged her for some additional information. Below is a composite of those messages.

Her wet cure recipe is as follows and is delicious - no saltpetre:

to every litre of water
340 grammes salt
60 grammes sugar (brown for pref)
then
about 20 juniper berries
same cloves
about 40 peppercorns  (My cure is usually in 6 litre lots)

Bring to boil and simmer for a few minutes.  If any scum appears skim it off.  Allow to cool then chill.

In a non metal container leave ham making sure its covered by the water. I have a large fridge for this. I tend to leave it for around 2 weeks but I do whole boned out legs.  During this time I check the water temperature daily and try to turn the ham over twice a day. I use freezer packs to weigh down the meat so it remains covered.    Its necessary to keep the meat at 4 deg. c

When its had enough time in the salt I soak for 24 hours. No idea why I just do. 

Then leave the meat to dry in the fridge allowing as much air to circulate as pos for around 2 days.

When you have rested your cured ham for 2 days, then simmer for 20 mins. per kilo. (very aprox)  Test with a knife to make sure it is cooked through.  I tend to leave it in the water to cool before removing.  Then let it rest and shove on the glaze.

For the glaze remove the skin, and any excess fat.  Cover the fat with a mix of dry mustard and honey, score into diamond shapes and put a clove in each diamond if you want.

Put this in a preheated oven as hot as pos. for about 10 minutes, just to finish off the glaze.

Let it cool before slicing really thin. 

You will find that each person has a slightly different take on this recipe its very basic, change it to suit you and your tastes. 

We do the best we can with the information we have

When we know better we do better

Tamsaddle

• Joined May 2011
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2012, 05:47:30 pm »
Suziequeue  - I think there is a typo in your reply.   I am absolutely sure it is 140, not 340, grammes of salt per litre.   This amount of salt would be horrible.  Tamsaddle

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2012, 08:19:33 pm »
I have checked my messages and Hilary's Mum's recipe. I note in my messages to her that I double checked the quantities of salt and it is 340g per litre.

It really turns out delicious and I didn't find it too salty.

MAK

• Joined Nov 2011
  • Middle ish of France
    • Cadeaux de La forge
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2012, 08:59:47 pm »
I thought that I had already posted my thanks for the above recipe. We did 3 gammons - boiled one and roasted off 2 as above. Sliced and frozen but I must ration myself so I don't eat it all before I have the chance to share with family and friends.
Thanks Suziequeue
www.cadeauxdelaforge.fr
Gifts and crafts made by us.

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2012, 09:06:48 pm »
I will keep posting this recipe whenever anybody posts about a recipe.

Firstly because it's very good and secondly because I miss Hilary's Mum on this forum.  She was so amazing and I loved her profile pic of her pig on the sofa or bed or somewhere :-(

Tamsaddle

• Joined May 2011
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2012, 09:07:55 pm »
Sorry to keep labouring the same point, but in the post called "Making a Gammon" started on 13 April 2010, there is a reply from Hilarysmum dated 10 May 2010, which I have just checked again, which says there that it is 140g salt/litre.   I guess that is where I saw it first and why I thought this was the amount she was recommending.   Whatever - my brine with 160g salt/litre worked a treat, and I definitely preferred the taste to the very much saltier HFW brine recipe.  Tamsaddle

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2012, 09:22:37 pm »
That's interesting Tamsaddle because that's where I would have got the recipe from...... have just checked and the 340g comes from HM's recipe to me in my messages so that's where the typo must be......... but I made it with 340g last year and it was delicious!!!!! 

Since then I've always just cut and pasted the recipe from my message box!!!!!

Apologies!

Cripes - now I'm giving everybody high blood pressure!

« Last Edit: April 11, 2012, 09:28:41 pm by suziequeue »

Tamsaddle

• Joined May 2011
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2012, 09:29:12 pm »
I've just sent her a PM asking whether she could clarify what the amount is meant to be !!  Tamsaddle

robert waddell

« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2012, 09:31:49 pm »
Lillian uses 370 grams of salt in 2 liters of water  now i Will get shot for telling :o :farmer:

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2012, 09:34:27 pm »
Oh thanks Tamsaddle :-))

God - how embarrassing.

I know HM hasn't been on the forum at all recently and Dan tried IMing her to no avail recently

Fingers crossed you'll get a reply.

I feel so embarrassed

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS