Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Art of Arks  (Read 2101 times)

Bobforrangerpigs

• Joined Mar 2012
  • Elton Nr Peterborough Cambridgeshire UK
  • Ancient pig keeper with 13 Tamworth Sows 1 Boar
    • Rangerpigs
Art of Arks
« on: April 12, 2012, 08:44:50 am »
Pig Proof Arks
Having been introduced to the Tamworth at Tony York’s Pig Emporium in North Wales in 2001 www.pigparadise.com it was pointed out to me that pigs are quite robust. The Tamworth’s doubly so, big animals, long legs and a mind of their own, very sociable, prone to hooliganism, instant attraction.
The next task was how to house these beasts and Tony had his answer.
Tony’s Ark’s were the traditional “Triangular” affairs 8ft square, fairly strong, reasonable size structures made almost entirely of plywood  and 4” x 2”, 2” x 2” treated timbers.
Therefore, quite expensive to produce, but as good a place as any to start pig keeping with. The only immediate problem was shoulder room for the pigs, and for that matter the Vet and me.
Although the floor area was ok for 4 fully grown Tamworth’s, once you reduce this by the height of the ark it soon becomes restrictive, as the ladies like to rub shoulders and the roof/sides start to bow alarmingly due to a lack of support in the middle of the ark.
The first ark lasted only 2 years, before being reduced to bonfire wood.
My next step to increase life expectancy and cut costs, was to buy the plywood and treated timbers trade, and copy the original design with modifications.
This was done by increasing the ply thickness all-round to 19mm and inserting extra timber supports for the sides. This was ok to a point, but did nothing to increase the important shoulder room at pig height.
The latest is a heavy duty “Pigproof Ark” made entirely from all recycled timber.
A size of 8ft Square by 40” high with a double pitched roof this was chosen as this would also allow plenty of ventilation,  and reduce drafts at pig level and would accommodate 4 full sized Tamworth’s or a sow and family of piglets to 6 months size. (60 – 70 Kgs)
I am fortunate in having a pal, Mike Cawthorne of Lower Benefield, Nr Oundle in Northamptonshire as he is a carpenter, cabinet maker etc, with a traditional sawmill www.mactimbers.mfbiz.com
He advised as to various solutions and we came to the only conclusion without resorting to other materials and money, in short supply (steel, concrete) only joking, was to design a robust pig proof square box with a double pitched roof.
Luckily another friend worked in forestry, so ideas and acquisitions were formed as to the best way forward.
Being in the recycling business at the time, a customer of mine had copious volumes of wood for disposal and this was costing him a lot of money to dispose of.
The timber was in the form of oversize heavy duty wooden pallets and loose planks. A lot of these were the ideal material for the new arks, but required a lot of work to convert into pig arks. But they were free, just take them!
The first job was to fetch the pallets and timbers with my 4x4 and a 16ft Ifor Williams trailer.  This took a number of weekends as I still had to work, as I do today still, 8 years on.
The best & thickest timbers were needed, bear in mind they were only pallet wood, but of good thickness although rough.
The next was to start and take them apart, bit by bit and stack and sort, no mean task on your own, but several trips later I had enough wood to start a timber yard or so it seems.
Breaking down over sized pallets was no mean task in its self, taking them apart de-nailing the planks, sorting out the good from the broken and short pieces.
Eventually I had enough timber (more than enough) to make a start.
I decided the Ark needed plenty of ground clearance just in case of flooding and or snows,
It was decided early on in the ideas stage that the Ark would have a floor.
All Arks should have a solid floor to ensure a 200kg pig doesn’t go through. This also ensures the dampness of the ground doesn’t get to the pigs, and to this end I acquired a number of trees 12” in dia approx, to lift the Ark off the ground.
Mike sawed the trees to give me 2 parallel surfaces with which to start the foundations. Next came the 4” x 4” timbers with which to lay the floor. This was 6” x 2” planks to give a solid pig proof floor. Next came the 4 panel sides all equal sizes 1mtr x 2mtrs, then 4 corner posts, bolt & screw the whole lot together to give a pigproof and cosy surround.
Last the roof, this was made up of 2 rear doors from an articulated curtain-sided trailer. Over the top, a sheet of corrugated tin was fixed to form a water tight & solid pig proof structure worthy of any pedigree Tamworth. The ends were formed of 2 triangular panels with plenty of ventilation.
Although this Ark is fairly heavy it is easily moved by a JCB Loadall or similar.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2012, 11:27:34 pm by Bobforrangerpigs »
All the Best

See you annon

Bob Dean

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS