Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Noob with a question  (Read 2662 times)

Wigan Pixie

• Joined Apr 2012
  • Lancashire
  • Yarn Whore
Noob with a question
« on: April 08, 2012, 03:25:00 pm »
Hello everyone, I'm a single, home educating, parent, who is self employed (yarn crafts) and looking for a change of life style. I'm sick of the celebrity worshipping, wasteful, throw away society. So a few friends and I are in the early stages of getting a communal smallholding together, where we will all live and work together, as self sufficiently as possible.

My question is, if we buy a property that has been used for equestrian purposes, do we have to inform anyone if we wanted to start growing crops and keeping chickens and goats? I've done an internet search but I'm using my mobile phone until my laptop is fixed and it's impossible to use for searching. Can anyone give me any advice or point me in the right direction.
Spreading the knitted love - one stitch at a time :D

tizaala

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Dolau, Llandrindod Wells,Powys
Re: Noob with a question
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2012, 03:37:58 pm »
Welcome to the loony bin, Have you seen the add for a smallholding in Shropshire in the marketplace forum ? it is already a commune by the look of the add. Sound just up your street.

Wigan Pixie

• Joined Apr 2012
  • Lancashire
  • Yarn Whore
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2012, 03:47:26 pm »
Unfortunately it's too small for our needs and we wanted to stay around Lancashire/Yorkshire, due to the kids needing to see their respective dads. Shame really, as it looks ideal for one of our families.

Hermit

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2012, 08:06:49 pm »
Hi, best to ask your planning dep. Equestrian is domestic not agricultural land, also it may be business registerd for whatever. Best just ask your local authority. There are so many battles ongoing about fencing land up into units, putting lots of buildings up , especially lots of different ones. Some community small holding sites look like bad gypsy camps crossed with scrap yards. Best to ask and learn what you can do and how they accept things doing. Neighbours may have liked the ponies but may not be happy with pigs and cocks crowing etc.  Dont mean to be a spoil sport but best to do things right or else you will have battles you cant win as so many have had before you.
 The very best of luck with your venture, lots of advice on here

Wigan Pixie

• Joined Apr 2012
  • Lancashire
  • Yarn Whore
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2012, 08:25:25 pm »
Some community small holding sites look like bad gypsy camps crossed with scrap yards. Best to ask and learn what you can do and how they accept things doing. Neighbours may have liked the ponies but may not be happy with pigs and cocks crowing etc.

I know what you mean about the state of some sites, we've looked around a few and, to be honest, I couldn't live like that. We intend to live in a house-share on site and, hopefully, convert an outbuilding or two for other members and, as for neighbours, we're hoping to be far enough away that we won't disturb anyone. We're not party animals but I do have a couple of rather noisy lathes, which I do use for hours at a time, sometimes outdoors if the weather permits and I wouldn't want to annoy anyone.

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2012, 11:29:00 pm »
 :wave:  Hi and welcome from cloudy shropshire.  It will be interesting to hear the outcome of this.

Simple Simon

« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2012, 11:50:39 pm »
Round here most land uses for horses is agricultural not equestrian.  If you set up permanent jumps or a manège then you have an equestrian use, but allowing horses to eat grass remains agricultural.  As an aside training draught horses would also be agriculture.

Many local authorities are getting snottier about horsey uses but it is worth checking the actual status.

Bert

• Joined Jan 2012
  • Isle of Mull
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2012, 07:35:32 am »
Welcome from the Isle of Mull :wave:

Mammyshaz

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Durham
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2012, 08:58:58 am »
Welcome  :wave: from Durham
This sounds like a good venture, good luck with it

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS