Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Done it at last!  (Read 4590 times)

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
Re: Done it at last!
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2012, 08:46:56 pm »
Hi from Staffordshire Possum. You have an acre more than us so you could have hundreds of chickens -we had 76 and two lambs for the freezer. Get some apple trees -chickens like them and so do sheep. We use them as a Winter treat. Trouble is the sheep eat the trees as well so they need to be in a chicken only zone or well fenced.

MAK

• Joined Nov 2011
  • Middle ish of France
    • Cadeaux de La forge
« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2012, 08:53:01 pm »
Hi from France - Congratulations 1
Maybe keep a diary if you can so that you can look back at what will be a fantastic but sometimes exhausting time. We are all so lucky having the chance to live TAS life.
www.cadeauxdelaforge.fr
Gifts and crafts made by us.

Possum

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Somerset
« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2012, 07:59:08 pm »
Thanks everyone, for such a warm welcome. Good to know that there are so many helpful people out there, even if some of you are far away. Isn't the internet great at overcoming the difficulties of distance?

The advice about horses and ponies bringing the grass down to the right height was really useful. There seem to be a lot of Shetland ponies grazing around here. Hopefully one of the owners would like to lend me a couple for or month or so until I can get the fencing/ hedges ready for sheep.

deepinthewoods

« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2012, 08:51:26 pm »
hi from cornwall :thumbsup:

TheCaptain

• Joined May 2010
« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2012, 09:24:26 pm »
Hello from down the road (near wincanton). Feel free to pop down if you're local and have a look around!

Possum

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Somerset
« Reply #20 on: April 10, 2012, 09:43:14 pm »
Good evening Captain

Would love to come and visit. The more advice I can get, the better. We are doing our move in 2 stages. First bit will be this weekend and the main move will be 17th/18th April. Perhaps we can come to see you after that? Do you want to e-mail some details?

TheCaptain

• Joined May 2010
« Reply #21 on: April 11, 2012, 08:01:03 am »
Possum,

check your PM's

Sylvia

• Joined Aug 2009
« Reply #22 on: April 11, 2012, 08:40:25 am »
It was costing me £80 a time to get our grass topped (just over 4 acres) and often I had to rake the grass into "hay" fit only for pig bedding by hand----that was hard work :o. Then some lovely folk bought some adjoining land for rescue horses. The horses follow the sheep in the grazing rotation. If you let the grass grow up a bit when the sheep have left the worm larvae climbs the grass stems and are eaten by the horses who are immune to sheeps worms and vice verce. Saves us both money, no nasty chemical wormers needed except on the odd occasion and a firm friendship into the bargain :)
Good luck with your adventure, try not to wear yourselves out ;D

TheCaptain

• Joined May 2010
« Reply #23 on: April 11, 2012, 10:46:28 am »
jesus - £80 a time for a top on four acres, that's a bit steep!!! Was your farmer dripping in gold?

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #24 on: April 11, 2012, 01:33:25 pm »
Hi and welcome, my local farmer tops my paddocks but no money charged. I buy my straw from him every year and he takes away my muck heap which he sees as gold dust.  :thumbsup:

Sylvia

• Joined Aug 2009
« Reply #25 on: April 11, 2012, 02:02:29 pm »
Hi and welcome, my local farmer tops my paddocks but no money charged. I buy my straw from him every year and he takes away my muck heap which he sees as gold dust.  :thumbsup:

Next door were charged £120 to have their muck heap taken away. :o

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #26 on: April 11, 2012, 11:20:39 pm »
I advertise goat manure on Freecycle and get rid of loads that way.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS