Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: not laying help please...PLEASE  (Read 3323 times)

Geeza

• Joined Mar 2009
not laying help please...PLEASE
« on: April 07, 2009, 12:31:14 am »
OK so we finished the coop (kids shed converted) and built a very large run. At Penkridge auction we purchased 5 POL warrens + 1 werren hen and 16 chicks. This mother hen RULES and is allways chasing the others>> we have no eggs as of yet and have had them for 3 weeks.

Any advice plz...

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
Re: not laying help please...PLEASE
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2009, 12:34:31 am »
I'm not an expert but if she isn't actually harming them - i e drawing blood, then I'd leave them - they have to sort out their pecking order.  As for POL - that differs with the breed and although they say they are at POl they may need time to settle down.  My LS took ages to start laying (must have been about 10 months old I think) but now I get an egg from each of them very day.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2009, 07:36:20 am »
Annie's right. Depends on the age of the bird when they start laying - usually about 20 - 22 weeks. If they are being fed properly and are healthy otherwise, you'll just have to be patient.

sheila

• Joined Apr 2008
  • Mablethorpe Lincolnshire
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2009, 10:13:42 pm »
I bought Isa Warrens, allegedly POL. but it was about 6 weeks before I got any eggs. Now almost a year on they lay every day and the eggs are lovely

carl

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2009, 02:42:28 pm »
Sometimes chickens are put back a bit by the stress of a move. Also some people will sell you pols at 16 weeks knowing full well that they havn't laid yet. watch for the colour of the comb and wattles, a healthy chicken in lay will have good red wattles, if they are pale it is either not ready yet or a bit out of sorts. have you given them any tonic and grit?Are you giving them layers pellets or mash? Sooner or later they start laying and you will wonder what to do with all those eggs.

Geeza

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2009, 11:39:00 am »
Thanks. They are being fed on Laying pellets . veg peelings , corn in the evening as a treatwith egg shells. They are now looking more red in colour as when we had them they were light pink in colour (yup young birds). Looking forward to our first eggs now!!! any one got any bacon??

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS