Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Roosting  (Read 3758 times)

Maddox

• Joined Jan 2009
Roosting
« on: February 16, 2009, 05:04:05 pm »
Hi All

I have had my chickens coming up to 5 weeks now (3xBlue Bells & 3 x LSussex)they were orignally barn birds and came to me at just over POL.
They have a run and a shed (12ft x 6ft) to roam around in and a lovely new hen house (suitable for 10birds).

Now the problem I have is I cant get them to roost in there house, they prefer and have done since day one to all sleep in one corner of the shed, every night I have gone in and put them all to bed in the hen house, I even give them corn in the Hhouse to encourage them in but they simply refuse. Once they are in they sleep on the floor rather than use the perches???

They dont seem to have access problems as they go in and out of the Hhouse all day long and all seem happy giving me at least 4/5 if not 6 eggs a day.

Do I have to keep going??? or should I resign to the fact they prefer the shed ::).

Any tips/advice greatfully received.

Many thanks

Maddox

Crofter

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Isle of Lewis
  • We'll get there!
    • Ravenstar
Re: Roosting
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2009, 05:21:14 pm »
Hi Maddox

We've had a similar problem in the past and perseverance does pay off.  When they are sleeping, gently lift them onto the perches. They will balance quickly and stay there til daylight.
Is there a problem with access to the perches?  Perhaps a lower perch or temporary "step" will help them get up there if they are not used to flying up to perch at night.

Good luck

Dave
Comfortable B&B on a working Croft on the Isle of Lewis. www.Ravenstar.co.uk

Maddox

• Joined Jan 2009
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2009, 05:34:01 pm »
Hi Dave

I lift them on every night but the b*ggers simply jump down and sleep on the floor, I guess I will keep going and hope they get the right idea.

Many thanks for the advice.

Maddox

SmallHolder

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2009, 06:50:48 pm »
Is your Roost square/Round, try To make the ground look less comfortable aswell..loll. And keep the roost at the right size for chickens feet.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2009, 08:43:34 pm »
We've just moved our hens to a new house. It's a different style to the old ark, so we're having to train then to a) go to the new house and b) roost on the perches. Past experience tells me it will take 5-7 nights to get them into the new routine.

Make sure the perches are about 2" wide with teh corners smoothed off so they are comfortable.

Lubob

« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2009, 09:12:31 pm »
My new additions would rather squash into the nest boxes than perch, only had them since Saturday so will give them time.

carl

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2009, 10:36:23 pm »
most of my  birds prefer a perch, but the others have to be lifted on each evening. though once i start the process one or two get on without  a lift. I use that cls timber for perches its nice and smooth with rounded edges. ( quite cheap from bnq)

two chickens sat on  perch,   one  chicken says to the other one            " can you smell fish?"

:chook: ::) :chook:

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2009, 11:35:41 pm »
 ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Maddox

• Joined Jan 2009
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2009, 01:22:52 pm »
Woohooo my ladies are all now taking themselves to bed ;D has only took 3mnths and they also now free range, however the b*ggers still wont go on a perch I put em on they get off, so I have admitted defeat, I clean out the poo dropped during the night every morning and give fresh shavings if needed so they have a nice clean bed every night.

They come when called and follow me around the garden all day long, the lovely pile of leaves and sticks we cleared from the garden which took 3 days is now back all over the lawn and its poo city, dont yeah just love em!!!!

Now I want a couple of Jersey Giants ;D

Maddox x

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS