Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Best layers...for eating  (Read 2506 times)

nealeholl

• Joined Feb 2009
Best layers...for eating
« on: April 09, 2009, 10:59:14 pm »
We have a mixed bunch of laying hens. We are looking to get a couple more, and also a cockerel. Any thoughts as to what a) look nice, b) lay lots of nice eggs, and c) which would be better than others for meat (cockerels)??

Ross

• Joined Jan 2009
Re: Best layers...for eating
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2009, 11:35:01 pm »
I recommend the Light Sussex as probably the best dual purpose bird ever. Others may differ, but I get/got 186 large eggs a year from my girls. The males put on meat well and can taste beautiful if fed a good mixed diet. Be prepared to spend more to ensure really good bloodlines.
Others will have their own opinions, but I reckon they are the best of all traditional breeds.
There is no problem in the world that cannot be fixed by the judicious application of the appropriate hammer.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2009, 11:54:13 pm »
And they are pretty - white with lovely black collars and tails, except when you have a randy cockerel and a muddy garden in which case the girls may be mud coloured ::) ::) :chook:
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Castle Farm

• Joined Nov 2008
  • Hereford/Powys Border. near Hay-on-Wye
    • castlefarmeggs
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2009, 09:06:01 am »
Decent Light Sussex are few and far between.All the utility breeds have had the 'utility' bred out of them by indiscriminate breeders just putting breeding pens of birds together and thinking they are quality.
It takes 30 weeks at least to get any meat on a LS and then you have it all on the legs and hardly any white meat.
Get your self some good quality Australorps L/F.This breed holds the unbeaten laying record of any fowl including commercial hybrids.
Cocks dress out at around 7/8 lb around the same as LS, but at least this breed still has some dedicated breeders looking to keep the superb laying ability of the strains

Traditional Utility Breed Hatching Eggs sent next day delivery. Pure bred Llyen Sheep.
www.castlefarmeggs.co.uk  http://www.facebook.com/pages/Utility-Poultry-Keepers/231571570247281

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS