Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Bloated lamb  (Read 4758 times)

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
Bloated lamb
« on: April 02, 2012, 08:40:54 pm »
Evening  :)

One of our 4 and a half week old bottle lambs has bloated out tonight, he's feeling quite sorry for himself and hanging about in the corner of the shed looking very uncomfortable.

I have heard his rumen rumble but it seems slow.   I've given him some ginger in water drench and we had a small burp but he's still looking sad.

currently they have 2 bottles of 450ml lamlac, creep feed which they nibble at and access to fresh grass.

Is there anything else I should do? should I change their feeding plan (more feeds but smaller quantity?) the other 2 are fine.
thank you in advance  :)
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Re: Bloated lamb
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2012, 03:12:33 am »
Your regime sounds fine, plums.  Could he have drunk more than his share?  Pigged out on creep?  Did you have a sunny day and the grass grew?
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2012, 06:36:33 am »
Thanks Sally - we've had some sunny days so grass could have grown, he's not had more than his share but could have pigged on creep.

Had a bit of a sleepless night worrying but have crept out there to check on him (before children woke up and did so...) and he's fine! All 3 bleating for their milk.  Looks like ginger helped save the day phew.

Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2012, 06:59:08 am »
That's good to hear  :thumbsup:

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2012, 07:12:10 am »
Am going to stick with the regime but if I can see his belly start to swell will stop his feed and revert to smaller, more frequent bottle just for him I think. Would hate to lose one of these as they are SO healthy, fit and bouncing compared to some of last years very poorly lambs

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS