Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Uncomfortable ewe  (Read 5074 times)

Haylo-peapod

• Joined Mar 2012
Uncomfortable ewe
« on: March 31, 2012, 06:29:41 pm »
I have a ewe that for the past week or two just has not been able to get comfortable, particularly if she lies down.
Consequently she spends most of the time standing.

She is due to lamb today but isn't showing any signs of coming into labour. No great surprise really as the last 2 years she has been 3 days and 4 days past her due date. On both occasion she had large single lambs.
I'm guessing that her problem is that the lamb she is carrying (single) is large (she's bigger than the ewes carrying twins) and laying awkwardly.

Is the fact the ewe is not able to rest laying down likely to cause her, or the lamb, addded stress? Surely it must make her more tired?
Could this be a sign that I may encounter a tricky labour with this ewe?

I kind of wish that I could give her something to induce the lamb rather than her suffering any longer and also having to deliver an even larger lamb in a few more days time....

Tried dagging her today but that didn't stimulate labour  :o

I guess she'll just do it in her own sweet time

Old Shep

• Joined Feb 2011
  • North Yorkshire
Re: Uncomfortable ewe
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2012, 11:34:04 pm »
good luck with this one - seems like its a problem brewing!
Helen - (used to be just Shep).  Gordon Setters, Border Collies and chief lambing assistant to BigBennyShep.

Tilly

• Joined Jan 2011
  • "Possibilities and miracles mean the same thing"
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2012, 07:56:16 am »

Hi Haylo-peapod
How is the ewe doing?

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2012, 11:35:23 am »
We had one lamb this morning that was due on Friday. She had twins, which we knew. She has looked soooo uncomfortable for  a week. She's got a bag like a cow, and had been sitting up a lot. THink it was the only way she got comfy. Bet she's glad it's all over.

How's your girl?

Haylo-peapod

• Joined Mar 2012
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2012, 11:41:10 am »
Good news, the ewe lambed yesterday (fortunately only 1 day late) and Mum and lamb are both doing great.  :thumbsup:

The lamb was huge and it was a tricky birth.
The presentation was normal but the head and legs were very tightly jammed in the birth canal so even with my tiny hands I just couldn't manage to ease either leg out.

I was getting to the point I didn't think I would be able to get the lamb out alive and had a feeling the ewe may need a C section. I spoke to a farmer friend who suggested I try pushing down gently on the head from the anal canal.

I'd heard of this before but never had the confidence to do it as I know it can tear the canal if you are not careful.
It worked a treat, I scarcely had to exert any pressure and the head started to drop down and the lamb was delivered a couple of minutes later. It was a miracle..such a fantastic feeling after the intial worries.

I've been lambing for 7 years but there's still so much to learn. I'll certainly not hesitate to use this technique again if I get a stuck large lamb as it was far less stressful for the ewe and lamb. Happy Days  :)

Haylo-peapod

• Joined Mar 2012
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2012, 11:43:28 am »
Hi Rosemary, pleased your uncomfortable ewe is feeling better now and that she managed to lamb OK. Certainly mine also seems far more content now and much more rested. 

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2012, 12:34:39 pm »
Thanks for that tip  8) - as you say, there's always something to learn  :thumbsup: :sheep:
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Old Shep

• Joined Feb 2011
  • North Yorkshire
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2012, 02:55:17 pm »
Crikey - wish I'd read that tip this morning, we have just had a right "giant turnip" birth, a shearing with a single big lamb.  WIl remember for next time though, thanks! 
Helen - (used to be just Shep).  Gordon Setters, Border Collies and chief lambing assistant to BigBennyShep.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2012, 02:58:20 pm »
Great tip - will certainly bear that in mind for next year. I can see how it would have helped with one of our two big singles. The first one couldn't even get head and two legs into the birth canal  ;D

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2012, 03:26:27 am »
That's a new one on me and I shall certainly try it if I have the same situation.

We had our first (this year) very difficult lambing last night; it beat me so BH and I swapped places.  First lamb was dead and, as so often with dead lambs, not presenting well - if you got the legs forward the head flopped back and round, etc.  The ewe wouldn't stop pressing, hard, which didn't help.  If I'd been on my own I think I'd have had to call the vet for an epidural to stop the ewe pressing so I could get the lamb organised, and I might have had to use a wire around the head to keep it straight.  However, BH, with all his years of experience, worked out what was going on very quickly, couldn't get it straight, turned the ewe over onto her other side and got it out more easily.  The happy ending was the two lambs behind were big and strong.  All three doing well today.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2012, 06:26:52 am »
Good to hear it turned out ok in the end and that she's got good twins  :)

Sylvia

• Joined Aug 2009
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2012, 08:06:23 am »
I'm sure I never worried as much over my two daughters' confinements as I do over my animals' ! That is a good tip Halo P. and one I've never heard of. Hope everybody's lambings go well :)

Tilly

• Joined Jan 2011
  • "Possibilities and miracles mean the same thing"
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2012, 08:31:02 am »

:)......I`m pleased all O.K in the end.

Tilly  :wave:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS