Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Sickle bar mowers (2-wheeled)  (Read 3496 times)

Fieldfare

• Joined Feb 2011
Sickle bar mowers (2-wheeled)
« on: April 02, 2012, 04:32:40 pm »
Hi all- need a bit of advice. Decided to get a sickle bar mower (2-wheel). Anyone got anyone got any ideas of decent model to go for? (would like a 4 foot cut if possible but the only one I can find is a BCS machine at about £3K!). I have seen the Alko brand which seem quite a bit cheaper. Should I be looking at a 2-wheel tractor instead which might offer me more options?

I need it for;
1)   Rough mowing of meadow on steep-ish bank and in an orchard. Maybe 2 cuts a year? About 1 acre.
2)   Topping of creeping thistles in patches before they seed- and taking this for emergency hay or mulch- maybe 1 acre total and a couple of cuts of the worst patches?
3)   Cutting for hay on 3 acres.

It obviously needs to be self -propelled, robust reasonably fast and easy to use.

Where is the best place to buy one. Online?

Any thoughts would be gratefully received!

robert waddell

Re: Sickle bar mowers (2-wheeled)
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2012, 06:24:10 pm »
get youself an Allen scythe and buy a piece of British history  and be a collector as well ;) :farmer:

Small Farmer

• Joined Jan 2012
  • Bedfordshire
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2012, 11:15:45 pm »
...and enjoy many an hour trying to start the brute.  Great machines though when they go, just wear steel toecaps

Being certain just means you haven't got all the facts

Moleskins

• Joined Sep 2009
  • England
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2012, 11:27:16 pm »
How about an alpine tractor , Goldoni or similar?
Time flies like an arrow but fruit flies like a banana.

Thebarber

• Joined Jun 2015
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2016, 06:22:41 am »
I bought a BCS this year for the same reason, it's does the job great but I'm looking for alternatives now as we've got 7acres and it's a bit tedious.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS